VOGONS

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm new at testing mobo's out of the case so bear with me here. So far all I have hooked up to it is the ps, keyboard, mouse, monitor & video card. The fans for ps & video card come on but that's it, no beeps, burps nothing. Checked the ps (which is nos) with the paper clip method and it checked out. Tried switching the ram going from SDRAM DDR 133mhz to 100mhz model but no change. Have not hooked up a hard/floppy drive yet as didn't know if that mattered. So before I chunk the mobo here's a checklist:

1. Re-seat everything
2. Clean cpu/ram connections
3. Hook up a floppy drive
4. Try it inside a case. Currently the mobo is on a box, seen others do it.
5. Try a different CPU
6. Anything else???

Something to note. I've been using one of those cheap power "button" switches to start it instead of the "screw driver" method. It's labeled as a reset
switch, does that matter? Sorry for the long post, I finally got a "good" deal on this mobo so really would like it to work.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 6, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
buckeye wrote:

5. Try a different CPU

Would try this. My own SE440BX-2 would show the same symptoms (including, interestingly, the CPU fan not spinning) with an old Celeron 333 (which may or may not be broken; I don't have another Slot 1 board to test it on). A P-II 450 and the P-III Katmai 600 I currently have installed have it working properly.

buckeye wrote:

Something to note. I've been using one of those cheap power "button" switches to start it instead of the "screw driver" method. It's labeled as a reset switch, does that matter?

This shouldn't matter, no.

Reply 2 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like you have quite a bit to learn - but you're going about it the right way 😀

Regarding your questions/comments:

Have not hooked up a hard/floppy drive yet as didn't know if that mattered

Good. When testing, keep it as simple as possible. Just PSU, CPU, motherboard, one DIMM, a video card and a keyboard. Nothing else. If that works, fine, hook up other stuff, but if not don't complicate matters with unnecessary hardware.

Something to note. I've been using one of those cheap power "button" switches to start it instead of the "screw driver" method. It's labeled as a reset
switch, does that matter?

All the power button does is short two pins. Anything that connects the two electrically is fine, be it a screwdriver, reset switch, coin or that metal bit that broke off your motorcycle last week 😜

Important: it only needs to briefly connect the pins. Keeping the pins shorted for 5 sec does a hard power off. Make sure whatever you use returns to the 'off' position as soon as things come alive. That's why I for one like the screwdriver.

Tried switching the ram going from SDRAM DDR 133mhz to 100mhz model but no change

Do you have the exact specs for those DIMMs? The i440BX is not hugely choosy, but as with other Intel chipsets, it refuses memory chips with 4 data lines (i.e. on DIMMs with 16 chips with 16Mx4 structure, so single-sided 128MB despite chips on both sides of the physical DIMM) and they were pretty common in the PC133 era and there existed such PC100 DIMMs too. I would expect some memory-related beeps if this were the problem, but it's worth double-checking.

Checked the ps (which is nos) with the paper clip method and it checked out.

Not quite. That test shows it can respond to a power on signal and can deliver something resembling power, but it by no means proves correct voltage on all the supply lines. Fans will turn with half their usual 12V, LEDs will generally turn on even if the +5V line (that feeds the CPU on boards from this era) is below 4V, and neither says anything about the state of the +3.3V line. Only consider the PSU known-good if it works flawlessly with another system with similar or higher power draw. And/or get out a voltage meter and see what it's delivering while the fans are turning.

1. Re-seat everything

Always a good idea, but if you've done it a few times already, it's not likely to help much. One point of special interest in a Slot 1 system: the CPU. If the SECC retention mechanism doesn't fit snugly (perhaps because you're using an So370-Slot 1 adapter card) having the CPU wobbling can ruin stability or even the ability to boot.

2. Clean cpu/ram connections

Possibly, but be VERY careful. Static electricity (ESD) can easily kill electronics. Make sure you are completely earthed, not wearing any synthetic or wool garments, and use a natural rubber for cleaning the connectors. TBH unless the connectors seem specifically dirty or corroded this is unlikely to make a difference anyway.

3. Hook up a floppy drive

Not until you've done anything else. Only reason to hook up an FDD to a board that doesn't post is to do an emergency recovery BIOS flash. It's been so long since I worked with the Intel Seattle I forget the exact procedure, but basically you hook up with FDD only and a specially prepared floppy in it, then if you're lucky a borked BIOS might recover itself.

4. Try it inside a case. Currently the mobo is on a box, seen others do it.

For good reason. A case is another source of uncertainty (short circuits due to incorrect standoffs etc) and makes messing around with the board more challenging. Outside of a case you should theoretically use certified ESD-safe mats. If you have one, by all means use it, but fortunately for the rest of us, a sheet of thick cardboard or a pile of newspapers have almost exactly the same electrical characteristics (conductivity so bad they for all intents insulate, but just enough to prevent the build-up of and allow safe bleeding of any static charges). Engineers have been known to use cardboard instead of ESD-mats in lab environments in fact I assisted a vendor's QA engineer with a convenient-sized piece for this very purpose this afternoon. A box is useful simply because the video card sticks out below the motherboard so you want an edge. Much, much better than messing around inside a case. Save that for when the board is working correctly 😉

5. Try a different CPU

Unless the CPU is known-good, this is a good step. Basically distrust every component until you know for sure it works and is compatible with this board. Memory or video cards issues *should* cause beeps rather than completely no signal, but make no assumptions. A bad CPU or PSU would definitely not cause beeps, so they are the prime suspects. Even double-check the keyboard in a different system in case of any doubt.

6. Anything else???

A couple of things.

Two tools that are very nice to have for this sort of situation:
- a voltage meter (or better, a multimeter that can also measure resistance)
- an ISA or PCI POST-card that can show BIOS POST codes even if there is no display

By checking the voltage between the various power lines and GND you can get a good indication of how the PSU is behaving. Given your description it's likely the POST display would stay at 00 regardless, but maybe not. You can look up the meaning of the codes depending on the BIOS vendor.

Generally the two commonest causes of totally not booting of a board (other than obvious physical damage) are either bad caps or a bad BIOS flash (or as the boards get older, a corrupt BIOS chip). Intel generally uses very high-quality caps, so I'd be surprised if that was the problem here, but I have been surprised before - last week I had a 1997-vintage Asus board with unmistakable bulging caps. BIOS issues are a pain in this case as Intel has soldered flash memory onto the board rather than using a socketed BIOS. That means you can't hot-flash (flash a replacement chip on another running board), so the official BIOS recovery via floppy is the only option here in that case (unless you are good at SMD soldering and have some way of hooking that chip up to a programmer...)

Another thing: use all your senses. That Asus board I mentioned also failed to boot completely. It had some bad caps but that wasn't the big issue. By smell alone I knew something was seriously wrong the instant I switched it on - the smell of extremely unhappy electronics is unmistakable. I found the cause afterwards by the heat one chip was generating - the northbridge had completely burned through and was even cracked. When I knew where to look it was visible, not just on the board, but also on the eBay listing. But it was the feeling of heat as my hand passed over the board that told me where to look.

Reply 3 of 6, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok went and tried everything I know of to this point and still nothing. I'm attaching some pics of the power supply & ram in case someone out there sees something in the ratings that could be the problem. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 20180123_182351.jpg
    Filename
    20180123_182351.jpg
    File size
    932.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20180123_182612.jpg
    Filename
    20180123_182612.jpg
    File size
    1.96 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 4 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
buckeye wrote:

Ok went and tried everything I know of to this point and still nothing. I'm attaching some pics of the power supply & ram in case someone out there sees something in the ratings that could be the problem. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks!

The DIMM there has Hynix chips with HY57V28820HCT-H. You can look up what that means here. Long story short: those are 16Mx8 chips, so perfectly compatible with the i440BX. The PSU is overkill for a system like this, and does not supply -5V, so some ISA cards might nto work, but if it is in good working order it would be fine for the system in this configuration.

But...

To be sure you need to check the individual compontents on a different system. Only once they're known good can you rule them out as the cause of your problems here.

Reply 5 of 6, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just recalled that I tried (3) different cpus on this same result nadda, but did notice that all three were pretty warm to touch. Don't know if that's a clue to what's going on.

Reply 6 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It makes it less likely that the CPU is to blame, but 3 dead CPUs are also a possibility. Again, you can only be sure if you know the CPU(s), PSU, VGA and RAM work in other systems.