Reply 20 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jheronimus wrote:
mbbrutman wrote:
jheronimus wrote:

I've tried mTCP, but I don't like its FTP client.

Details please .. either here or by email. I've tried to make the client behave mostly like the Unix clients do; if there is something terribly wrong I can look at fixing it.

If I recall it correctly, it works like this — you start the client in a daemon-like mode and use another machine to send files to it. You can't actually use it to browse FTP shares and just get the files you need. It's just inconvenient for me.

What you describe is the mtcp ftp server - this works perfectly fine, what you want to have is a ftp client (mtcp has one IIRC but it's command-line).
I personally love mtcp's ftpserver, I load it up and send files with FlashFXP from my win7 main pc.
I don't know if a gui ftp client exists for DOS though, would be nice to check it. I have also tried wfw3.11 networking and found it too slow for my taste, mtcp ftpserver is 4-5x faster for me.

In the end its all personal preference so one uses what works for him 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 21 of 29, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:

If I recall it correctly, it works like this — you start the client in a daemon-like mode and use another machine to send files to it. You can't actually use it to browse FTP shares and just get the files you need. It's just inconvenient for me.

uh.. are you confusing the daemon with the client? because you can for sure just 'ftp address' and get/put files, like any other ftp client in the world. I do it from dos with it all the time to my main ftp server.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 22 of 29, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:
Kubik wrote:
Deksor wrote:

Well if your NIC can support a PXE boot rom, that means the computer has PCI slots, meaning you don't really need XT-IDE bios

Unless you're using an ISA NIC with gPXE, in that case you don't need PCI. I've never tried it so far, but I am expecting a diskless 386SX and I am eager to try it.

The problem is the size of the boot rom you can put on ISA nics, I'm not sure it would fit on them ... And even if you manage to boot to a gPXE image using RPL (which I never managed to use) I'm not sure it'll work : I remember somebody that did this with iPXE and it didn't work on a 486 : you need at least a pentium to execute iPXE meaning the whole process is pointless since most (if not all) pentiums have PCI slots ... gPXE is iPXE's ancestor so you never know, it may work afterall since it's older. If you manage to make this to work, I'd like to hear more about that ^^

Well, there certainly was a mechanism to boot remotely on an ISA card, otherwise there would be no ROM sockets on those cards...

Reply 23 of 29, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jheronimus wrote:
mbbrutman wrote:
jheronimus wrote:

I've tried mTCP, but I don't like its FTP client.

Details please .. either here or by email. I've tried to make the client behave mostly like the Unix clients do; if there is something terribly wrong I can look at fixing it.

Nope. It's almost exactly like the text mode ftp client in Windows. I believe mTCP also has an FTPD daemon that allows you to send (put) files from another machine, but the client is very standard.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24 of 29, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kubik wrote:
Deksor wrote:
Kubik wrote:

Unless you're using an ISA NIC with gPXE, in that case you don't need PCI. I've never tried it so far, but I am expecting a diskless 386SX and I am eager to try it.

The problem is the size of the boot rom you can put on ISA nics, I'm not sure it would fit on them ... And even if you manage to boot to a gPXE image using RPL (which I never managed to use) I'm not sure it'll work : I remember somebody that did this with iPXE and it didn't work on a 486 : you need at least a pentium to execute iPXE meaning the whole process is pointless since most (if not all) pentiums have PCI slots ... gPXE is iPXE's ancestor so you never know, it may work afterall since it's older. If you manage to make this to work, I'd like to hear more about that ^^

Well, there certainly was a mechanism to boot remotely on an ISA card, otherwise there would be no ROM sockets on those cards...

That's RPL. But so far I never managed to do anything with that, there's not enough documentation on the internet to do that. I guess the secrets to this are in old books ...

I bought a boot rom for my 3com 3c509 some time ago for that exact purpose, but yeah I never managed to do anything with that 🙁

I hope somebody will find out how that works someday ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 25 of 29, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mbbrutman wrote:
dionb wrote:
11justsomekid wrote:

What are these acronyms?!

Seriously, I don't know anything about networking. Not even my "Idiots Guide to the Internet" from 1994 seems to know.

Although it's possible to set up networking without any knowledge of terminologies and concepts (in a "monkey see, monkey do" way), DOS is not a very forgiving or intuitive environment for doing so. I'd recommend a primer on Ethernet and TCP/IP networking ...for Dummies is a good start, or even better grab a 1990s vintage COMPTIA N+ coursebook for next to nothing. The concepts are still the same and examples from then would include DOS.

People might find this helpful: http://www.brutman.com/Dos_Networking/dos_networking.html

And for wireless connectivity without going crazy: http://www.brutman.com/Wireless_for_Classics/ … r_Classics.html

Those links are quite helpful! In fact the entire website is very informative. I'm starting to understand certain words, but I need to read a good bit more, though.

Reply 26 of 29, by lordmogul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are we talking about pure DOS or a moxed DOS/9x environment here?

Deksor wrote:

I bought a boot rom for my 3com 3c509 some time ago for that exact purpose, but yeah I never managed to do anything with that 🙁

I hope somebody will find out how that works someday ^^

Got a 3c905C-TXM around and just needed to plug the WOL cable into my board.
It boots over network just fine and 98 SE can enter network shares without issues. (In a mostly XP/7 environment)

P3 933EB @1035 (7x148) | CUSL2-C | GF3Ti200 | 256M PC133cl3 @148cl3 | 98SE & XP Pro SP3
X5460 @4.1 (9x456) | P35-DS3R | GTX660Ti | 8G DDR2-800cl5 @912cl6 | XP Pro SP3 & 7 SP1
3570K @4.4 GHz | Z77-D3H | GTX1060 | 16G DDR3-1600cl9 @2133cl12 | 7 SP1

Reply 27 of 29, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah but the 3c509 is an ISA card ans it doesn't feature pxe boot

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 28 of 29, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Etherboot supports the 3c509 and can be burned onto a ROM, so you should be able to add PXE support to a 3c509 ISA card with that. Not sure what the minimum CPU requirements are for Etherboot though (it only says "x86" but not whether that means i386, i686, or what.) Etherboot has changed to gPXE which appears to only support PCI cards now, so you might have to dig around for older ROMs to get 3c509 support.

Reply 29 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

1. use it to transfer files , mTCP is your friend
2. if the card has a boot rom socket you can install there the XTIDE BIOS so you can use large HDDs without overlays/extra software

Would this also work with a Reborn card? I have like 10 identical ones of those and to me these are basically much less useful then regular NICs.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!