VOGONS

First post, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Digging around in my swag ..for something else entirely ..and found this ..
Looks to be in good order ..physically ..but nothing to try it in atm..
Any good ?
rgds
VS

Attachments

• DSCF0013.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0013.JPG
    File size
    309.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 12, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for that Kamerat ..
Somewhere I may have a mobo that will suit ..
I'll have to do some more digging..
Sadly I dont have a suitable case or psu ..
I feel another project coming on..
If I find the mobo I post a pic to this thread..
rgds
VS

Reply 3 of 12, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope ..
Not old enough ..and this is the oldest mobo I own ..
doh!

..advice on what to look out for ?

Attachments

• DSCF0014.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0014.JPG
    File size
    319.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Vipersan wrote:
Nope .. Not old enough ..and this is the oldest mobo I own .. doh! […]
Show full quote

Nope ..
doh!

Woa... pretty sure I just got a couple of boards identical to that one in a lot of parts recently. AT board, ATX power, AGP, Interesting combination for sure.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 5 of 12, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep ..
i guess this mobo is quite rare/unusual ..
This is the closest I can find ..and although it has the same Ident ..it is NOT the same ..??
So what have I got here ?
anybody ?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DFI-P5BV3-Socket-7 … yUAAOSwCQZZBvJJ

Reply 6 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vipersan wrote:
Nope .. Not old enough ..and this is the oldest mobo I own .. doh! […]
Show full quote

Nope ..
doh!

Dude, how hard is it to just google the part number and see that it's a Socket 3 CPU which will need a Socket 3 motherboard?
Googling part numbers is a must if you want to figure out unknown stuff.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vipersan wrote:
Yep .. i guess this mobo is quite rare/unusual .. This is the closest I can find ..and although it has the same Ident ..it is NO […]
Show full quote

Yep ..
This is the closest I can find ..and although it has the same Ident ..it is NOT the same ..??
anybody ?

Your board is a DFI P5BV3+, you can probably find the manual by googling that part number. It looks like an AT ss7 board with AGP, which is quite nice but useless if you don't have any of the other AT parts needed or at least have some converters.
Your board does have an ATX power connector and it's possible to mount AT motherboards in somewhat newer cases (though maybe not the most recent ones). Finding a backplate would be tricky, but you could just leave it open.

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 12, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Vipersan wrote:
Yep .. i guess this mobo is quite rare/unusual .. This is the closest I can find ..and although it has the same Ident ..it is NO […]
Show full quote

Yep ..
anybody ?

Your board is a DFI P5BV3+, you can probably find the manual by googling that part number. It looks like an AT ss7 board with AGP, which is quite nice but useless if you don't have any of the other AT parts needed or at least have some converters.
Your board does have an ATX power connector and it's possible to mount AT motherboards in somewhat newer cases (though maybe not the most recent ones). Finding a backplate would be tricky, but you could just leave it open.

Sorry I asked now ..
I was just a little curious as the DFI P5BV3+ mobo I have is different to the pictures I have seen say on Toms Hardware..
and yet it has the same Ident DFI P5BV3+
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/socket-7- … -1998,79-7.html
I guess the differences must be be tied to the Revision
For example mine has 3 dimm slots ..whereas the version pictured at Toms hardware has 2 simm and 2 dimm
So there must be variations.

As to the 486 ..
I have never used one before ..and was simply asking for a recommendation on suitable mobo types..
rgds
VS

Reply 10 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well as it's an Overdrive, pretty much any 486 motherboard would suffice. That's like asking which car you could get that takes a certain fuel type. Everything from a Daihatsu Cuore via various small trucks to quite a few super sports cars accept RON95 unleaded petrol. What should you get when you find a tank full of the stuff? Depends entirely on what you are looking for.

Same with motherboards for that CPU. What do you want to do with it? What other components from a similar era do you have? What cases do you have or could you get?

Right now I'm looking at a board it could fit into, with BabyAT form factor, 4x 16b ISA, 1x 8b 'ISA' PC slot and 2x VLB, 2x 72p SIMM and 4x 30p SIMM, and no I/O onboard. You could also find boards with only 16b ISA, with EISA, with PCI or various combinations thereof. You could find board with 72p SIMM only or 30p SIMM only. You could find boards in full AT or LPX form factor (or indeed whole non-standard systems), and boards with various components onboard (I/O, VGA, maybe even more) or not.

Once again, pretty much any 486 board (So1, 2 or 3) could run that beast, which is why it is pretty sought after. If you want to run it. you can take almost anything it will fit into.

Reply 12 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vipersan wrote:
Sorry I asked now .. I was just a little curious as the DFI P5BV3+ mobo I have is different to the pictures I have seen say on T […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:
Vipersan wrote:
Show full quote

Yep ..
anybody ?

Sorry I asked now ..
I was just a little curious as the DFI P5BV3+ mobo I have is different to the pictures I have seen say on Toms Hardware..
and yet it has the same Ident DFI P5BV3+
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/socket-7- … -1998,79-7.html
I guess the differences must be be tied to the Revision
For example mine has 3 dimm slots ..whereas the version pictured at Toms hardware has 2 simm and 2 dimm
So there must be variations.

As to the 486 ..
I have never used one before ..and was simply asking for a recommendation on suitable mobo types..
rgds
VS

It's what Dionb tried to explain and as I tried to explain earlier.

What you mention about revisions and the DIMM and DIMM slots is actually true. Many AT and ATX boards of that era (especially the Socket 7 stuff) are like this across revisions. Often one would see exactly what you described, one revision with 2 SIMM slots and 2 DIMM slots and a newer one with 3 DIMM slots and no SIMM ones anymore and often they would have solder dots as well.

About the suitable motherboards, what would suit your needs? That Overdrive will fit dozens of boards, it's too generic a question!
Try to find out on your own what certain hardware is capable of and then see if anything matches your interests.
That CPU is a pretty nice one to have, as it will work in boards that don't support 3.3v CPUs by themselves. That CPU was actually specifically designed to be an upgrade chip for older motherboards that weren't capable of handling newer chips by themselves. And on top of that it looks nice as well 😁

Report spammers here!