VOGONS

Which dual slot1 PIII motherboard ?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not that I have ever tried, but I was under the impression that 133 FSB CPUS will work with 100FSB mobos... providing the bios and VRMs are compatible with the CPU. Are you sure those are the correct VRM's for the CPU's?

[EDIT:] Ah ninja'ed by slivercr ... heee yaaaa.... 😵

Reply 21 of 32, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah it's mostly for price reasons, tyan/super micro bords are highly overpriced on eBay. Same goes for the 1ghz/100 piii. I somewhat like to go for less-hyped things, it's not really a money problem I could afford them. I already planned to run my 133 piii at 100 when I bought this motherboard so no problem.
My Fujitsu is a BX440 board. And it Does support coppermines, just seems to refuse booting with 133mhz CPU cpu instead of running them at lower speed. Maybe it's because they strictly follow specs instead of being more tolerant and compatible

Reply 22 of 32, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
spiroyster wrote:

Not that I have ever tried, but I was under the impression that 133 FSB CPUS will work with 100FSB mobos... providing the bios and VRMs are compatible with the CPU. Are you sure those are the correct VRM's for the CPU's?

[EDIT:] Ah ninja'ed by slivercr ... heee yaaaa.... 😵

If I were you, I'd first try to locate another 650 MHz cpu to check the VRM you bought works properly.

The vrm should be ok : uses a HIP6004CB chip which has a 1.3 - 3.5V range : https://www.intersil.com/content/dam/Intersil … ip6/hip6004.pdf

I tried to swap positions (between the 933/133 and 650/100) and the Mobo boots correctly no matter which cpu use the vrm board I added

I just found a katmai PIII 500mhz/100 in another computer, i'll try with the 500 + 650 this evening, we'll see if the problem is really the FSB (not sure i can mix katmai with coppermine though... but i may have a chance since the vrm are independant)

Reply 23 of 32, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
slivercr wrote:

There are a few versions of the MS-6905, I've worked with version 2 quite a bit. They feature a linear regulator to take the 5v coming from the slot and turn them into 2.5v to feed CuMines (pin Z36). The IC is a TVC16222, a 22 bit voltage clamp. It takes various APIC signals from the slot and lowers their voltage for use on the socket.

Are there any slockets which have the voltage clamp and a voltage regulator? I have two Powerleap PL-Neo/T, which are Tualatin adapters, that I would like to add to the slockets, but I'm not sure if my motherboard will go down to 1.45 V. PIII CuMine's run at 1.65 - 1.75 V (I think).

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 24 of 32, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
slivercr wrote:

There are a few versions of the MS-6905, I've worked with version 2 quite a bit. They feature a linear regulator to take the 5v coming from the slot and turn them into 2.5v to feed CuMines (pin Z36). The IC is a TVC16222, a 22 bit voltage clamp. It takes various APIC signals from the slot and lowers their voltage for use on the socket.

Are there any slockets which have the voltage clamp and a voltage regulator? I have two Powerleap PL-Neo/T, which are Tualatin adapters, that I would like to add to the slockets, but I'm not sure if my motherboard will go down to 1.45 V. PIII CuMine's run at 1.65 - 1.75 V (I think).

The Powerleap PL-iP3/T: http://www.powerleap.com/pdf_files/PL-iP3T.pdf

1982 to 2001

Reply 25 of 32, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Well, anything except the Powerleap ones. I had two of those when they just came out and tested them for Powerleap. They sent them to me for free. They ran fine, but started crashing every 5 days or so. After a month of frusturation, I determined that one of the fans would stop running and the CPU would overhead. The issue was that they had quality issues with the fans. I don't know if they ever resolved it. Some motherboards have the slots pretty close together, so you don't have much room for heatsink+fan. Anyway, I sold them for $150 each back in 2006 before I moved. I kind of wish I had kept them. I recall there was a model which was intended for dual CPU support and that is the pair I had. They are difficult to find now days.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 26 of 32, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is my usual go-to page for looking up processor upgrade info:

http://www.cpushack.com/UpgradeProcessors.html

though it doesn't seem to list the PL-iP3/T.

I've had to replace the fan on one of my Powerleaps, the original got damaged in the post.

Reply 27 of 32, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Updated the bios. (hard to find, the D1031 mobo reference show only the user manual on Fujitsu website, i had to find that this mobo came from a Primergy 470-20 server THEN it would show some bios updates for download).

Unfortunately, despite the fact the last bios added cC0 coppermines support, still no boot with two PIII 933/133.

I tried the FSB mod, covering B21 to make the mobo think it's a 100mhz fsb cpu (Intel datasheet says it can be grounded or left unconnected). It seemed to work since it goes through some more steps (leds on mobo showing things instead of nothing before), but instead of the POST beep i get a beep code and the display stays black.

Beep pattern : 1-4-3-3

This pattern seems only known for Phoenix bioses, it means "Autosize cache.". Ehm, what's that.

Maybe i'm out of luck with this mobo 😒

Reply 28 of 32, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried with a single FSB modded PIII 933 just to rule out issues with the extra VRM module or one CPU beeing faulty?

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 29 of 32, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
okenido wrote:
Updated the bios. (hard to find, the D1031 mobo reference show only the user manual on Fujitsu website, i had to find that this […]
Show full quote

Updated the bios. (hard to find, the D1031 mobo reference show only the user manual on Fujitsu website, i had to find that this mobo came from a Primergy 470-20 server THEN it would show some bios updates for download).

Unfortunately, despite the fact the last bios added cC0 coppermines support, still no boot with two PIII 933/133.

I tried the FSB mod, covering B21 to make the mobo think it's a 100mhz fsb cpu (Intel datasheet says it can be grounded or left unconnected). It seemed to work since it goes through some more steps (leds on mobo showing things instead of nothing before), but instead of the POST beep i get a beep code and the display stays black.

Beep pattern : 1-4-3-3

This pattern seems only known for Phoenix bioses, it means "Autosize cache.". Ehm, what's that.

Maybe i'm out of luck with this mobo 😒

Watch out, B21=BSEL0 and A14=BSEL1.
Did you try the CPUs without pin modding after flashing?

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 30 of 32, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The PIII 933 are working properly i have tested them on another motherboard.

I'm not as confident about the VRM module, what makes me think it works is the boot sequence showing "2 CPU installed". But strangely, it shows only the name/frequency of the CPU installed in the first slot (because it expects two identical cpus ?).
The second CPU (which is using the VRM board) is much cooler than the first. Like it's idle or something. It's not completely cold, it's powered in some sort of way.
I don't know how to check if its' really working as expected, maybe the BIOS just uses a single CPU that could explain why the second is not as warm..

Working setups : (by working i mean it POST)
two PII
a PIII coppermine 100 + a PII 100 (no matter which slot)
two PIII coppermine
a coppermine and a katmai

Not working setups :
anything with a 133mhz fsb cpu.

Interesting facts :
- when the PIII 650/100 is in the first slot and the 933/133 in the second, i get display, memory test and scsi ok, but beep code and freeze in place of the POST beep/
- when i swap those two cpu (650 in the second and 933 in the first), i got NO display and directly the beep code.

- the mods seems to have no effect (tried A14 and B21 since i got confused at some point 🤣 ), i removed them and I still have the beeps, strangely i can't boot with the 650+933 like before the bios update, it just beeps and no display

EDIT:

The VRM definitely works... I tried a Katmai 500 in the first slot and the Coppermine 650 in the second, the boot sequence showed the info from the second (vrm-powered) CPU :

1518567598-bios.jpg
Katmai was ignored ("1 CPU installed')

I guess we just can't force this mobo to accept 133mhz fsb cpus... time to think about getting high frequency 100mhz fsb cpus, which are rare and expensive, or getting an easier mobo

Reply 31 of 32, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It should work with matching 100 MHz FSB CPUs. I still suggest tracking down a matching pair to try out the config.

The VRMs must not act independently as you thought: CuMine + Katmai powered the lower voltage cpu only. Does the same happen with CuMine and P2?

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 32 of 32, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just use some brands like it is here the Gigabyte board, bcuz the OEM ones are not the best solution, as they are locked up on the bios, and they are not flexible at all.
But in some cases the OEM can do the trick, but some of the times when i found whole OEM machines i just remove the OEM mobo and install parts that i can configure and settle up in the BIOS...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088