File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 41 of 47, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I've been going by this thread to get my BX2000+ running reliably with a Tualatin Celeron 1.2 CPU, and am encountering similar problems as the OP. Even with the "SpecialBios" as above, I can't get it running reliably at anything else than 100FSB. It certainly posts @ 112, 124, 133 and every now and then it'll get past the memory check and will boot Windows and be perfectly reliable. Then I'll try again and it'll freeze at the memory check, come up with a DualBIOS error, or maybe get to Windows boot but hang with a GPF error.

The ASUS slotket I'm using is untouched, set to 1.65V, only the CPU has pins removed for Tualatin support, I have not done the AK4 --> AK26 wire mod yet. Like others have noted, it seems there is issue with some timing of the fast CPU on this board.

Any other tips?

Thanks

JB

Reply 42 of 47, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

first of all, did anyone check the original website of this adapter?

https://web.archive.org/web/20061217061510/ht … mpatibility.htm

GA-BX2000 v1.1 Must use f9 BIOS.
GA-BX2000+ v1.2 Must use fdc BIOS.

the fdc bios file can be downloaded from archive.org, and its contents are different from the special bios posted on this topic.

did anyone try the correct bios?

Reply 43 of 47, by alexbb23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Batyra wrote:

Here goes the BIOS.

I'm in the same situation you where in, but my CPU is an Pentium 3 1000 MHz 133FSB. I wonder if I flash the special bios from you will solve the problem... What do you think?

Voodoo is the best!

Reply 44 of 47, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just to add my two cents. Same problem here with Gigabyte GA-6BXE (I'm starting to think that's the issue with Gigabyte boards, just as the Korean guy told someone here earlier in the PM). I'm using that MSI slotket MS69something v.2 and a P3S-1400, that I bought from the Korean guy. It posts fine on any FSB including 133, there are no problems like on BX2000. However I did patched its bios with a bios pather from that Belarussian forum. It added proper microcodes and detection routines. It does supply proper 1.45 Vcore without any need to set jumpers.

However! It's unstable at 133FSB. And that pertains only to that specific P3S (both SL6BY and the earlier SL5something can't remember now stepping). Cumine P3 1000mhz socket 370/133 works fine and rock stable on this board in the same slotket on FSB set to 133mhz. P3S is not 🙁 I've tried different video cards (namely GF2, GF4, GF4ti, Voodoo 3, Voodoo 5) It posts 100% of the time. Windows 98 boots fine. Any desktop activity and even aida64 test runs alright. Until you get into full screen DOS gaming (e.g. Carmageddon) or run Prime95. It locks up in about 1-5 minutes.

Ah well... 1050mhz at 100FSB it is, I guess 🙁

MB: Asus P3B-F 1.03 (2x ISA)
CPU: PIII-S 1.4GHz/VIA C3 800MHz
RAM: 256MB PC133
Video: GeForce 4600Ti/Voodoo 5 5500/Voodoo 3 3500 for DOS Glide
Audio: SB16 OPL3 + Audigy Platinum Ex

Reply 45 of 47, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zoomer wrote on 2020-01-17, 21:10:

Just to add my two cents. Same problem here with Gigabyte GA-6BXE (I'm starting to think that's the issue with Gigabyte boards, just as the Korean guy told someone here earlier in the PM). I'm using that MSI slotket MS69something v.2 and a P3S-1400, that I bought from the Korean guy. It posts fine on any FSB including 133, there are no problems like on BX2000. However I did patched its bios with a bios pather from that Belarussian forum. It added proper microcodes and detection routines. It does supply proper 1.45 Vcore without any need to set jumpers.

However! It's unstable at 133FSB. And that pertains only to that specific P3S (both SL6BY and the earlier SL5something can't remember now stepping). Cumine P3 1000mhz socket 370/133 works fine and rock stable on this board in the same slotket on FSB set to 133mhz. P3S is not 🙁 I've tried different video cards (namely GF2, GF4, GF4ti, Voodoo 3, Voodoo 5) It posts 100% of the time. Windows 98 boots fine. Any desktop activity and even aida64 test runs alright. Until you get into full screen DOS gaming (e.g. Carmageddon) or run Prime95. It locks up in about 1-5 minutes.

Ah well... 1050mhz at 100FSB it is, I guess 🙁

thats not the slocket used in the first post of this topic
the "upgradeware" one

if you had one of those you could try

https://web.archive.org/web/20080124114212/ht … mpatibility.htm

GA-6BXE v2.1 :The original BIOS does not work with a Tualatin processor. You must use GA-BX2000 f9 BIOS if you like to use a Tualatin processo

flash a bios from another board ? seems crazy

Reply 46 of 47, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's some interesting info, thanks! Definitely sounds dangerous though. I believe, most it will do is give me proper Tualatin detection - which I already have.

Still... Might try it 😀

MB: Asus P3B-F 1.03 (2x ISA)
CPU: PIII-S 1.4GHz/VIA C3 800MHz
RAM: 256MB PC133
Video: GeForce 4600Ti/Voodoo 5 5500/Voodoo 3 3500 for DOS Glide
Audio: SB16 OPL3 + Audigy Platinum Ex

Reply 47 of 47, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i just got one of these boards and I'm working on getting it setup.

i started off with a 700 mhz slot 1 100fsb. with whatever bios version it came with stock it was complaining about health check status even though it was running at 1.65v it would post and boot though

so i updated both the main and back up bios to fdc bios posted above from archive.org its stopped complaining about the health check and changed to saying ok.

so then i swapped out the 700mhz cpu to a Tualatin Celeron 1.4 in an asus slocket it picked it up right away shows it running at 1.4ghz and 1.5v.

do i need to mess with any of the jumper setting on the block for setting ratios and fsb there is obviously no setting on there for a 1.4ghz chip does it even matter what that is set to?

second i have 2 256MB PC 100 cl2 ECC ram installed i manually had to change the cl from 3 to 2 in the bios. i turned on ecc mode i think. but nothing on the main post screen or that secondary one right before the windows splash comes up says anything about ecc being on. also in memtest86 v4.3.7 it also shows nothing about ecc in there

were can i make sure that ecc is working the gigabyte website says it supports ecc. on an asus p3b-f on that secondary post screen it shows there when ecc mode is on idk if gigabyte just don't do the same or if i'm not setting something right in the bios.

is there any default bios settings for this board that should be changed to get it running optimally.