VOGONS

Reply 21 of 138, by oldpcguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you can setup a menu system, I can find a place to host it. I still regularly need old Sony VAIO files, especially for those old video capture cards that are so useful. Some ignore Macrovision on old VHS tapes and the like.

Running a binary comparison on some files might save you some space. e.g. same file with different name, just like car parts.

Reply 22 of 138, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just saw this on Sony's page today and logged onto vogons to announce it, should have known the community would already be on top of it 😀

Reply 23 of 138, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am going to start a wget with that files list you provided.

I am not 100% sure that the ftp has everything on it.

When I get time, I'll see if the hosting I have available to me will have that much space I can use. I was told unlimited, but I will double check to make sure.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25 of 138, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most of the spec sheets, manuals and even service manuals, are available for free through manualslib.com.

And pretty much all the links to the manuals for older systems on Sony's site give 404 errors. I think I have those from the ftp dump I did though. I haven't sorted through anything though.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 33 of 138, by xeon3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, is it possible to get a HDD with the backup from the Sony FTP from anyone?
Or are the drivers available anywhere? I just got a T1XP and a TX3XP and apart from having blank disks (no recovery partition) they're great little sub(ultra?)notebooks.

Reply 34 of 138, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most of there computers drivers load vanilla with Win95-98-2000-XP
Only the Audio drivers which are usually Yamaha. Which you can install from the vogons driver library.
As for there audio editing and video editing software. I don't need it.
Unless someone has the applications extracted from the install DVD's and can post them somewhere ?

Reply 35 of 138, by xeon3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are BIOS Updates, and the special Sony utilities for notebooks that are of use for the extra buttons (sony shared library, sony utility, sony event)

If someone has a copy of the FTP directory, please send me a PM or mail @ xeon4d@google'semailservice.com

Reply 36 of 138, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dang, I missed this. Luckily I have the drivers/software I needed for my Vaio MX, UX280P and Picturebook. However, if someone would like me to retain a copy of the FTP directory, I can do so as well. It might be good to upload to Archive.org.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 37 of 138, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have uploaded the contents of ftp.vaio-link.com to archive.org:
https://archive.org/details/ftp.vaio-link.com

I had to put it in archive format because the uploader freaked out when I tried to just upload it as-is.. too many files and folders for it to process.

This is a 106 part ZIP file, with all but the last part being DVD sized.

It took almost all week for it to finish uploading all 459GB.

Anybody want to download the whole thing to verify that it will unzip correctly?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 38 of 138, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank so much for preserving all of this stuff, cyclone3d and others!

Perhaps it would be a good idea to build some kind of internet archive specifically for drivers and manuals. One that periodically scrapes the sites of the manufacturers hosting this stuff.

On the other hand, automating this might often be against the terms of use. Perhaps have the scraper/crawler simply send out a notification or alarm whenever the contents of such sites are updated or otherwise changed?