VOGONS

First post, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been trying for days to set up a compact flash in my 286-12 to no avail. I am reasonably familiar with the process as I have compact flash cards working in my Socket 7 machine and in myTurbo XT (the latter with the help of an XT-IDE).

This particular 286 machine however has a Phoenix 80286 ROM BIOS PLUS Version 3.10.22, and unfortunately it doesn't allow for "User Type" in the Hard Disk geometry - it only allows for selection of one of the 47 types of predefined hard disks. The machine came with an old Seagate ST-157 45mb IDE stepper which works and boots to DOS when Type 36 is selected in the setup.

I tried with 3 different IDE card readers, 2 different multi-IO ISA cards, and 2 different CF cards - a Sandisk Ultra 512mb and a Transcend Industrial 128mb. At first I tried just putting the cards in the reader but of course it gave a "Hard disk failure" message at boot. Then I thought I would use the geometry data of some existing hard disk types from the 286 bios to Fdisk the cards accordingly in my socket 7 machine.

So I transfered the Transcend card in the Socket 7 PC, chose "Normal" instead of "LBA" in the BIOS and "User" instead of "Auto". I manually entered the data from the existing "type 41" from the 286 BIOS: 917 Cylinders, 15 Heads, 0 for Precomp (which is actually -1 in the 286 but I wasn't able to enter a negative value), 918 for Landing Zone and 17 Sectors. Which gives a size of 119mb, which is below the card actual capacity (128mb). I ran Fdisk on the card, created one primary DOS partition the formatted /S to put the sytem files on it. The Card then booted to DOS 6.22 in the socket 7 machine without a hassle.

Just to be sure, I did the exact same thing with the Sandisk card, this time choosing a different geometry that doesn't have "-1" for precomp. I chose type 34 - 965 Cylinders, 10 Heads, 0 Precomp, 965 Landing Zone; which gives a size of around 80mb. Again, the card boots to DOS in the Socket 7 PC.

When transferred to the 286 however, both cards refuse to boot, even though I configure the BIOS with the matching geometry. If I boot with a floppy, I can access the card as C:, type a DIR command which lists the contents with the correct partition size. However if I try to read anything on it, the system hangs for a few seconds and then gives some "drive C: read error" message.

What is preventing the system from accessing the CF card? Is there some kind of incompatibility, the card being too fast or something like this? Anything else I can try before giving up? If anyone else managed to successfully install a CF card in their 286, I'd love to hear about it 😵

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 2 of 5, by HeavyD8086

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the exact same issue on a 286x mobo in a HP Pack Mate III. If you get it working, let me know. My symptoms are <i>exactly</i> the same as yours, down to can get a dir listing, copy files over, but it borks when reading anything.

Reply 3 of 5, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have similar problems on my 386SX (1989) - There's no definitive pattern, but I do get it hanging up sometimes. Works like a charm in my 486DLC, 486DX2/66, P166, and "works a bit" on my Dell PPRO 200. I've yet to try it on my 286 because keyboard failure (traces blew).

I'm heavily interested in the outcome of this thread.

*edit - I'm not sure if this is viable, but did you ever try loading an overlay onto the CF drive?

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 4 of 5, by HeavyD8086

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just booted from my 128mb CF card!!!

I installed the EZDriveW overlay. This was a bit wonky, and didn't go as PhilsComputerLab's video did.

First, when I created the EZDrive disk from the executable on my 286, it didn't set it to boot (it wasn't formatted with /s originally, so maybe that's why). I manually ran ez.exe from the disk, did the fully automatic install, and pointed it to a MS DOS 5.0 startup disk, and it copied the files.

On reboot with no floppy inserted, it didn't work. Booted from DOS 5.0 disk, manually ran ez.exe and went to advanced settings, where it told me EZ Drive wasn't installed. It game me an option to install, and BOOM. Everything works, booted from C and got dropped into a DOS prompt. WOW.

It's late now. I'll see if it's really, really working tomorrow, but this is the furthest I've gotten.

Reply 5 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad you got it working. Congrats 😀

What is preventing the system from accessing the CF card? Is there some kind of incompatibility, the card being too fast or something like this? Anything else I can try before giving up? If anyone else managed to successfully install a CF card in their 286,
I'd love to hear about it 😵

I think it is a software problem. You didn't do anything wrong.
(In fact, using fake CHS settings is what my dad did in the 90s when I got a HDD for my 286; also with Phoenix BIOS.)
Last year, I had the same issue with a Schneider computer. It has a CMOS utility by Schneider and a BIOS by Phoenix.
No matter how hard I tried it freezed at the booting stage (I used a DOM, which should have been even more IDE compatible).
Using XT-IDE Universal BIOS fixed it for me.

Wait, here's a video about the POST: https://youtu.be/zc2fVXozxwU

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//