VOGONS

First post, by timb.us

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, so a few years back I picked up an early 90’s vintage generic lunchbox portable (PC-III Portable w/ Paper White VGA LCD). It had a “Topcat SX” motherboard in it (based on the VL82C320/i82C343 chipset and AMI Hi-Flex BIOS). At some point I cannibalized the BIOS EPROM because I needed a 27C512 for a piece of test gear I was repairing. Long story short, when I pulled the system out to start using it again last week, I realized I’d lost the ROM dump I’d taken of the BIOS! So, I figured I’d just throw the board in the parts pile and pickup a better board on eBay. Well, I happened upon a basically identical board for $10 shipped, the only difference being it was an SX-20 instead of an SX-16 and having SIMM holders instead of SIPP sockets; I figured at that price, why not, at least I’d have a second nearly identical board full of parts!

So the new board mostly works, however when running a memory test (via Microscope 7) I’m getting random reboots. Sometimes it makes it through two full passes, sometimes it makes it 20 seconds. I’ve tried different RAM and setting the DRAM refresh timings to the minimum settings in the BIOS but nothing seems to help. I’ve scoped the RAS/CAS and other lines on the memory bus and the DRAM *is* being refreshed like it should be. I’ve tried scoping the RESET and IO CH CK lines on the ISA bus to see if an NMI is being generated when the reset happens, again, nothing. Replaced the keyboard controller with the chip from the old board, no change. I’ve scoped the +5V and +12V rails and there’s no dips when the reboot happens. I’ve tried wiggling the SIMMs, heating and cooling various chips, wiggling connectors and cards, tapping the machine, etc. to try and cause the reboot but I can’t. Clocks look good (both directly from the output of the oscillator cans and the OSC and BCLK lines on the ISA bus).

If I leave the machine sitting at the prompt, it won’t reboot. It only seems to happen when accessing conventional memory above about 100k.

I’m wondering if one of the two chipset ICs might be bad. I can swap over ones from the old board, but before I do that I’d like to know if maybe there’s something I’m overlooking. (I mean, for all I know it could be one of the 74-series chips between the RAM and chipset.)

High Resolution Motherboard Photo: http://timb.us/images/pciii.jpg

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. (E.g., Cheez Whiz, RF, Hot Dogs)

Reply 1 of 3, by timb.us

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So more playing around tonigh, I got the memory test to run for two hours straight before stopping it. I toggled the power and ran it again, without changing any settings and it reset after 20 seconds of testing...

I also ruled out the power supervisor IC (it’s not generating the reset).

Thinking back, the time it ran for two hours I hadn’t performed a cold boot. Instead, I went into the bios, changed a setting and let it do a warm boot. I wonde if there’s some setup timing violation in the chipset, RAM or processor during a cold boot. Hmmm.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. (E.g., Cheez Whiz, RF, Hot Dogs)

Reply 2 of 3, by timb.us

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I switched out the chipset ICs and now the board is completely dead. I suspect one of the two ICs got too hot when I removed them from the old board (though I’ve done hundreds of QFP packages with hot air and never had that happen before). Oh well. I’ve spent more than enough time trying to fix a board of this quality. I’ll just pickup a nicer board on eBay like originally planned. It’s a shame, I had a really nice old system in storage for 15 years and was planning to take the 486 DX4-100 motherboard out of for this system, unfortunately it got added to the Goodwill pile by mistake when I moved last year. 🙁

Reply 3 of 3, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunate. Sounds like you definitely put a lot of effort into it though.
Wish I still had our old 386SX. It's funny the things that get thrown out when they're deemed useless and worthless, then many years later you really wish you had them back.