modem1.jpg
Filename
modem1.jpg
File size
204.48 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

i have seen this card for multiple times in last 10 years but, other than obviously being a sound+modem card, i know nothing else about it: brand, model, driver, features, and what the cirrus chips do(obviously the opti82c929 is mixer, and the cs4231 is dac).
i don't have pictures for the back side now, but as far as i remember, there is just plain circuit wires and no clue on the back.

Reply 2 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenerb wrote:

Only Aztech comes to mind with combo sound/modems. That, and those IBM MWave atrocities...

Of which it is neither.... It is almost certainly something from a pre-built system though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 14, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Packard Bells had sound/modem combo cards too though they had brown pcbs

i have seen them aswell and i think they are also made by aztech with sticker.

Reply 5 of 14, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have even found picture of another revision of the card, they surely look similar except for midi daughterboard header, jumpers and a few other components placed differently.

modem3.jpg
Filename
modem3.jpg
File size
437.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 14, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Boca Research Soundexpression 14.4Vsp?

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/modems-telephone- … -14-4VSP-S.html

Referred to here:

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=zzURbSGI … sion%20&f=false

Reply 8 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Packard Bells had sound/modem combo cards too though they had brown pcbs

i have seen them aswell and i think they are also made by aztech with sticker.

Some Aztech, some Miro.

Most were Aztech AZT2320 / Rockwell combinations (14.4k, 28.8k and 56k versions) and there was the one Miro Cassius card with IBM MWave...

The Aztechs looked like Frankenstein's monsters, but like most Aztech stuff they were nicely compatible and worked surpring well. The MWave on the other hand 😦

However this is - as already stated - clearly something quite different. OPTi 82C929A is pretty standard OPL3 sound. Those Cirrus Logic CL-MDxx14 chips together do the modem stuff (hence "MD" - Cirrus had unusally logical choice of markings), with the xx14 implying a 14k4 modem. Specs seem the same as the Boca Research Soundexpression 14.4Vsp already referred to, but the layout and jumpers/connectors are quite different.

Reply 9 of 14, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just with the MAD16 cards, OPTi had a reference design that many OEMs used. For this card, it was "OPTi Plug-N-Play 929 Sound System: AUDIO plus MODEM". This could be a SIC Media Sound SW/32, for example. Typhoon/Anubis sold these cards as well.

Reply 10 of 14, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

The Aztechs looked like Frankenstein's monsters, but like most Aztech stuff they were nicely compatible and worked surpring well. The MWave on the other hand 😦

However this is - as already stated - clearly something quite different. OPTi 82C929A is pretty standard OPL3 sound. Those Cirrus Logic CL-MDxx14 chips together do the modem stuff (hence "MD" - Cirrus had unusally logical choice of markings), with the xx14 implying a 14k4 modem. Specs seem the same as the Boca Research Soundexpression 14.4Vsp already referred to, but the layout and jumpers/connectors are quite different.

From what I can see, the layout of the Boca 14.4Vsp is identical to the first card pictured (download/file.php?id=43942&mode=view), but not the second card (download/file.php?id=43947&mode=view).

I also have an Mwave combo card that is a curious creature, it has Mwave and Media Vision sound chips - made for an Acer desktop. A card to test, and hunt drivers for, on a rainy day ...

Reply 11 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JidaiGeki wrote:

From what I can see, the layout of the Boca 14.4Vsp is identical to the first card pictured (download/file.php?id=43942&mode=view), but not the second card (download/file.php?id=43947&mode=view).

:?

That's the same card, the first pic is a close-up of the relevant chips on the second. So if the second is different, the card is different 😉

JidaiGeki wrote:

I also have an Mwave combo card that is a curious creature, it has Mwave and Media Vision sound chips - made for an Acer desktop. A card to test, and hunt drivers for, on a rainy day ...

Try Windows 95. Theoretically it should be supported under Windows 98, but actually getting it to work... I worked at PB's tech support back in 2000 and despite many beers being wagered on it, no one ever managed. That was with the MIro MWave card. Possibly other vendors would be different.

Or take OS/2 Warp, apparently support there was excellent 😜

Reply 12 of 14, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:

and there was the one Miro Cassius card with IBM MWave...

hi dionb.
CASSIUS was name of the card from Miro?
I read only about miroConnect 34 /Connect 34 Wave /Media Online/Online pnp cards with MWave.

Reply 13 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
peklop wrote:
hi dionb. CASSIUS was name of the card from Miro? I read only about miroConnect 34 /Connect 34 Wave /Media Online/Online pnp ca […]
Show full quote
dionb wrote:

and there was the one Miro Cassius card with IBM MWave...

hi dionb.
CASSIUS was name of the card from Miro?
I read only about miroConnect 34 /Connect 34 Wave /Media Online/Online pnp cards with MWave.

It's a bit offtopic here, but yes and no. Packard Bell loved their codenames, and somebody responsible for modems was obviously a boxing fan. Cassius was their internal codename for The miroConnect34 card, so it wasn't any retail or indeed Miro name.

Note that it was a PnP card, which means you can't just use the default IBM mWave Dolphin drivers. Documentation is very sparse, this is the best I could find:
http://j12345.users1.50megs.com/menu/soundcar … miroman.asp.htm