VOGONS

First post, by joey_pizza

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First time posting here so let me get this out of the way first:

Every old computer I touch breaks.

The most recent case is a Gateway 2000 I picked up off of Craigslist this week. It was running Windows 95 with a Pentium Overdrive. Very nice overall. I tried everything out when I got it, all worked like a charm. Only one thing I wanted to change with it which was the crappy IDE hard drive. I ordered a Compact Flash to IDE adapter which came in today. This is where my story turns for the worse. I unplug the hard drive and put the ide cable into the adapter, set it all up nice. Plug in the CF card and... doesn't POST. Troubleshooting time! I take out the CF card and turn it back on, boots fine. My next thought is that the hard drive settings in the bios are stopping it from booting because the old 800 MB drive does not have the same geometry as the flash card. I reset the bios to default, turn it off, plug in the flash card and... doesn't POST. Now I have no clue, I messed around with the hard drive settings in the bios without a card in more, and then it wouldn't post whether I had a card in or not. Ok great, so I reset the CMOS jumper and... doesn't POST. Then I took out the CMOS battery, went to the store to get a new one, replaced it and... doesn't POST. Then I unplugged every ISA card, ribbon cable, and took out all the RAM and not even a beep.

I am out of ideas. Does anyone here have a suggestion for me or is my motherboard just dead forever?

Reply 1 of 2, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Crappy fualty Compact Flash ---> "IDE" adapters from Ebay can cause all sorts of nastyness. 90% of the adapters work but I have seen shorts and other issues. The quality control obviously isn't top notch for items that cheap.

Strip the system down to the bare essentials, motherboard, CPU, memory and video card and go from there. Use a diagnostic card if you have one.

With luck it just some hardware conflict that popped up when you cleared the BIOS. If you get the motherboard going add the expanson cards one by one and test the system before adding more cards, put them in the same slots as before.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2 of 2, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As the guy above me mentioned, disassemble the whole computer to single parts, also clean all the contact pins on the RAM, Video card, and other cards with 90+ pure alcohol (just to be sure, as i did even revive "dead" ram sticks, video cards, audio cards just by cleaning them up some times the contacts are not even looking dirty, and they still don`t make good contact..) .

And after that just assemble only the core components on a test bench, not in the case, for example only the CPU, RAM, MB and Video card, and see what happens. Then start to add more things, and you will know what is the cause of the problem...
You can change also the PSU you are using, the cables of the PSU and VGA cable, some times even that things can make problems...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088