VOGONS

First post, by old_MySpace

User metadata

Computer motherboard is a QDI SUPERB 4V-ALX motherboard, with a Pentium 4.
For some strange reasons, after I re-assembled the computer and re-installed Windows 98 SE, the computer USB stopped working at all!

I tried using a USB Pen drive 4Gb, which works perfectly. And worked in this system too.

I tried the front USB, the back USB and the expansion USB (which uses the internal USB ports) and it doesn't work at all. The pen drive led stays on without a single blink on all of these ports. All of these worked before!

I tried looking in the bios and nothing works.

In Windows it doesn't even pop up the New Hardware Found wizard, and the device manager looked fine.
So thinking that it was Windows 98 SE the problem, I installed ME and it still doesn't work!! (I had ME installed before and it worked perfectly!).

I don't have any clue, I f*****g hate this dumb problem!
It just magically appeared out of nowhere! It was perfectly working before and I reassembled it perfecly!!
Heck, it even looks like someone did that on purpose, there is no explanation!! 😠 😠

Reply 2 of 3, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My first checks would be :
Download SiS Chipset drivers for your board.
Install windows 98 USB driver pack nusb36.exe Google them. (If you're still running Windows 98)
Confirm that the BIOS is set up in the Integrated Peripherals section. (Double Check)

EDIT:

It looks like you'll need to get one of the Driver Packages here:
https://list.driverguide.com/list/company4007/index.html

Refer to this site for more information:
http://w3.sis.com/support/support_faqs_15.htm

Attachments

• SIS USB.PNG
    Filename
    SIS USB.PNG
    File size
    252.17 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SiS USB Drivers Information
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by fitzpatr on 2018-02-16, 05:48. Edited 2 times in total.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 3 of 3, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does it detect the USB drive in the BIOS boot menu, if you have one? Check out the voltages of the PSU. Could be a software issue (drivers on Windows 98) or hardware issues, such as a weak PSU or failing capacitors.

Also, another thing you can try is swapping RAM modules in slots. It might not be related at all, but my P3 with a QDI Advance 10T motherboard once had the COM1 port dying without a reason. I fixed it by simply swapping the RAM modules in the slots.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3