VOGONS

Tualatin Motherboard

Topic actions

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can anyone recommend a good motherboard for a Tualatin Pentium III 1.2 GHZ? I have 3 or 4 of them and would like to get at least one running as a good P3 machine

Hoping for 5 PCI slots, 1 AGP, and 1 ISA for the build I want to do....

Reply 3 of 33, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For an ISA slot you'll need a VIA 694T based board. The Abit VH6T The Serpent Rider mentioned will do fine. I'm also satisfied with MSI 694T Pro.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 4 of 33, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most PGA 370 does not have ISA slots, as they was mostly on socket 7 and Slot 1 boards..
Still ASUS, MSI, ABIT, Gigabyte boards will be good. Also if you want more ISA slots you can use some of the few Tualatin capable Slot 1 boards...

luckybob wrote:

I know the perfect board!

*actually reads the post*

NVM, I have nothing to contribute.

Rofl 🤣 🤣 🤣

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 5 of 33, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Given the relative scarcity of board with FC-PGA2, AGP and ISA, I'd start off with "any you can find". I'd agree with the VH6T as one of the best options, but unlikely you'll find one...

Alternative is of course to go for a Slot 1 board with Tualatin BIOS support. Most Slot 1 is i440BX, which is fine but you'd be overclocking chipset, AGP and PCI for 133MHz FSB, which you may not want. Alternative is a Via 693A or 694X chipset that natively supports 133MHz, they can also be found in slot 1. There are other chipsets which support 133MHz FSB (and Tualatin), but are rarer and almost never seen with ISA. I'm hunting a SiS 635T board at the moment - this might well be best performing So370 chipset, but none of the handful of boards with it have ISA. Also, most are uATX (which I like, but you don't).

Reply 6 of 33, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seeing as the ABIT is no where to be found, I guess my next option would be a board without ISA slots. I wanted the ISA slot primarily so I can install an AWE64 for DOS Sound, as my Windows Soundcard would be either a Soundblaster Live or Soundblaster Audigy, and I dont think either of those will give me decent DOS sound ,at least I dont think so...

But, it is what it is, so I guess I have to also search for a good 1 AGP / 5 or 6 PCI Slot board for the Tualatin.

Any good recommendations for this? I assume this would open up my options, losing the ISA Port?

Reply 7 of 33, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As a Tualatin motherboard, I recommend the one I have in my main PC, a QDI Advance 10T. It's a fast and solidly built motherboard with the VIA Apollo Pro 133T chipset. The only drawback of this motherboard is that if you want to use hard drives larger than 137GB you will need to flash the BIOS to version 1.8 Beta that introduces the support for >137GB HDDs but loses the Hardware Monitor feature, so you won't be able to check voltages and temperatures.
Despite this compromise, the speed of that motherboard compared to the one I had before (MSI 6309 v2 with a modded BIOS to support Tualatin) is very noticeable. Windows XP SP3 runs like a breeze on it. Plus, it has an ISA slot.

Another noteworthy aspect of the Advance 10T is the use of Rubycon capacitors, that makes it less exposed to the infamous capacitor plague, unlike the MSI 6309 for example, that sadly uses Tayeh capacitors.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 8 of 33, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seeing as the ABIT is no where to be found

Try MSI, Shuttle, Soyo with VIA Apollo Pro 133T.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 33, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are also industrial boards like the Ipox 3ETI23 . I use own. It has Tualation support, 3 ISA slots and on-board Ethernet. It works fine with an AWE64 , a GUS classic and a Mediatrix 3D/ XG (YMF715 based). It does not like the GUS PnP, though ( bridged ISA bus issue) . Mine seems to have all Japanese caps. These boards are not as cheap as they used to be, though.

Reply 11 of 33, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My guess is that the best way to go forward is to select a few choices that fit the needs best and take the time to find one of them. After all these years we cannot expect that boards like this that fit all our needs are on offer in abundance on a daily basis. And, the hunt is part of the fun imo.

Reply 12 of 33, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After reviewing that list, I think I am gonna hunt for the Abit VH6T, if one ever shows up!!! That board fits everythi g I'd want....

I'd even trade good for it!!!

Thanks for all the assistance!!

Reply 13 of 33, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PARKE wrote:

All the necessary research was already done for us long ago 😉
http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_S … 70_motherboards

Interesting... The Asus TRL-DLS is not listed...

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 14 of 33, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Technically ABIT VH6T and many other such boards have only 3-4 PCI slots. ISA and fifht PCI are sharing same slot space and first PCI is usually blocked/reserverd for video card.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 15 of 33, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can look also for AOpen boards, as they have great build quality, and most of the time they come in nice black PCB colors...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 16 of 33, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at that list again, the only one that really will suit what I am trying to do is the Soyo SY-7VBA133U board. It has the Apollo Pro 133T chipset, 2 ISA and 5 PCI, so I could still use the 1 ISA and still have 5 PCI ports available for the rest of my cards.....

Now to search for it.....

Reply 17 of 33, by JosefHrib

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For PIII-S Tualatin 1266MHz 512 / 1400MHz 512
I can buy one of these motherboards.
Can someone help me sort it from best to worst.
I readed on website theretroweb.com specs but it is not always all, black and white, someone have some piece better bios better caps etc.

soyo sy-7vba133u (1x agp 5x pci 2x isa 0x amr)
qdi p6v694t/a10t (1x agp 5x pci 1x isa 1x amr)
shuttle av18e2 4.1 (1x agp 5x pci 1x isa 1x amr)
msi 694t pro (1x agp 5x pci 1x isa 1x amr)

I know that exist abit ab-vh6t but this motherboard I cannot buy, very high price.
And aopen ax34-u is not available now.

overclock.net/threads/hello-from-czechia.1807015/
forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/asus-pro-ws-w790e-sage-se-intel-xeon-sapphire-rapids-sp-es-works-it.41306/

Reply 19 of 33, by JosefHrib

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2024-02-19, 21:42:
JosefHrib wrote on 2024-02-19, 17:47:

For PIII-S Tualatin 1266MHz 512 / 1400MHz 512

Here's an updated list:

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/?page=1& … %5D%5Bsign%5D==

Thank you for link. And are here some models what are better? for example if I will be searching board with via chipset.
For example Shuttle AV18E2 3.1 I can have for affordable price. But I see that exist version 4.1 too, but I not find any information what is different between Shuttle AV18E2 3.1 and Shuttle AV18E2 4.1.

overclock.net/threads/hello-from-czechia.1807015/
forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/asus-pro-ws-w790e-sage-se-intel-xeon-sapphire-rapids-sp-es-works-it.41306/