VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have a couple motherboards that power on, but no post, no beep codes, nothing.

Have tried couple PSU's, Different RAM, set it up with only RAM and Video Card, etc... and nothing.

Would a plug in (PCI or ISA) motherboard tester give me any details on what is going on or would it provide no benefit with the board doing what it is now? Was going to buy one but wanted to know if it would even help me here....

Reply 1 of 19, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wouldn't hurt to get one and use it to see what the code is (0-9, A-F) for why it's not POSTing. You can also post the code(s) on here so that we can see what's going on. Another thing, did you check for cold or cracked solder points? If not, check for those, and if there're any, reflow the points with fresh solder and a soldering iron.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 4 of 19, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was there any strange incident prior to the board becoming "silent"?

I had 2 boards refusing to show any signs of life after having inserted a memory module - pretty strange. Looked up the tester on ebay... wish I had known the existence of such an item earlier.

Reply 5 of 19, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not totally sold on the value of POST cards. The most useful thing about a POST card IMO is that it lets you see whether there's any activity happening at all, and whether it's consistent. If you see any code activity then it shows that the CPU is running.
Sometimes I've run into boards that behave differently on a reset than they do on a cold boot, and the POST card can help to show that.
In theory you can use the particular codes to try to identify more specifically what's wrong, but I can't think of any situation where it led to any useful insight. If it's something as simple as "no video device", you'd have already figured that out by swapping and re-inserting cards, etc.

Be aware that on some boards, a POST card will never show codes because of a common motherboard feature that disables the clock signal on unoccupied slots. The board won't see the POST card (unless it's different than the one I've used anyway), so that slot might stay asleep when the card is inserted. This can mislead you into thinking that there's no CPU activity, when in fact there might be some.
This feature is often configurable in the BIOS setup, but this is no help if you can't get to that point.

Slight tangent - because of this issue, I have an old network card that I use for checking clock signals. It's not a POST card, but it has an easily accessible point on the card where I can probe the PCI clock and see if it's present. Since it's a real PCI card, it's immune to the issue above.

In a situation as described, I'm of the opinion that the first step is to grab a meter and start checking voltages, both for level and stability while it's trying to boot.

Reply 7 of 19, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Take ground somewhere safe and easy, like on the side of the PSU casing.

The easiest voltages are the PSU's 5V and 12v output. Those are at the red and yellow wires of a 4pin drive connector.
But if this is a modern system with multiple 12V rails then you might need to measure in different places to get each rail.

3.3v can be backprobed on the ATX motherboard connector at one of the orange wires.
5Vsb is on the purple wire of same connector.
If it's a new enough board/PSU that 12V is a particular concern, then check 12V at the ATX also (yellow wires).
If it has a separate 4-pin or 8-pin 12V connector, you might want to check 12V there also.
If there's a PCI Express 6-pin or 8-pin graphics card power connector involved, backprobe that also (12v).

To check anything at board level I would wrap the red probe with tape so that only the tip is exposed. This makes it easier to avoid shorting anything.
Check the large tab on the back of the MOSFETs near the CPU. Half of them will have the input voltage that powers the Vcore regulator (5v or 12v depending on design). On the other half of them, the large tab will have the output Vcore that's going to the CPU.

Reply 8 of 19, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
Smack2k wrote:

Ordered one...will post what I get when it arrives...

That, sir, is a beautiful pun 😀

I try.....ha ha

So......2 pieces of bad news and 1 piece of good news for me....

Good - With a 66 MHZ or 100 MHZ Pentium II Slot Proc in my ASUS P2B, the board boots up fine (I though the PSU killed both of my boards), but nope.

Bad - 1. With an ASUS Slocket (Set to 1.8 V per documentation online) installed, a P III 1 GHZ Proc, the board set to 133 MHZ FSB, multiplier set to 7.5, the board wont post, does nothing, nothing comes up on the POST Tester either. This board (Rev 1.02) can run this proc according to the website I read the info from, so not sure why its not doing it....http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_p … pgrade_faq.html

Really Bad - 1. My ASUS CUV4X board will not post and there is no reading on the POST Tester, just all dashes across the panel. The Power LEDs for PSU Voltages all come up fine, but none of the motherboard status LEDs come on either....so I am guessing the board is shot....

Gonna look into the some of testing Shamino suggested to see if I can find the root of the issue.....

Reply 9 of 19, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Smack2k wrote:

Bad - 1. With an ASUS Slocket (Set to 1.8 V per documentation online) installed, a P III 1 GHZ Proc, the board set to 133 MHZ FSB, multiplier set to 7.5, the board wont post, does nothing, nothing comes up on the POST Tester either. This board (Rev 1.02) can run this proc according to the website I read the info from, so not sure why its not doing it....http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_p … pgrade_faq.html

Have you tried it at 100MHz FSB?
I'm not sure if 133FSB has much chance to work on a P2B rev1.02. I went through a couple dozen P2B boards many years ago before selling most of them. As I remember it, most of the rev1.10 and 1.12 boards could do 133MHz, but I'm pretty sure I never had the rev1.02 or rev1.04 boards ever run that fast.
However, my memory is hazy as to whether I actually tried it. I'm not sure if I even had a way to test 133FSB on boards that didn't have a Coppermine compatible VRM.
In any case, try to get 100MHz working first. In fact, you could even try 66MHz to make things easier on the board. If that works but faster speeds don't, then at least you know it's not totally dead but suffering from a stability issue.

Reply 10 of 19, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I mentioned above that my P2B runs fine at 66 or 100 MHZ FSB, but the multiplier only goes up to 8x.

In the manual there are settings for 133 MHZ / 33 MHZ and a 7.5X Multiplier listed as options. Between that and the site I linked that mentions these run with those settings, not sure why mine wouldnt, but oh well, at least its not shot like the CUV4X seems to be

Reply 12 of 19, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would say that it's just as likely that the board dosn't like the slotket or that something else is wrong, especially if the board won't work with the slocket set for 100 MHz FSB (You only mentioned that 100 MHz FSB Pentium 2 CPUs worked). The slotket I'm using is the MSI 6905 Master, it works on my P2B 1.02 at 133 MHz FSB.

The P2B 1.02 can deleiver 1.8V and most if not all 1.02 boards should have the clock generator with the correct FSB/4 PCI multiplier for the 133 MHz FSB setting. It's the "in between" revisions that either have clock generators that don't support the 1/4 PCI divider at all or don't have that setting wired. The multiplier is a non issue as the Coppermine CPUs have it hardwired.

It could be that some 1.02 boards were manufactured using another clock generator chip (with the wrong PCI divider) though but one would think that they at least would POST at 133 MHz FSB.

if you get the sloket working at 100 MHz FSB you can try to test with another AGP video card (or a PCI one) at 133 MHz FSB. The 89 MHz AGP bus is something not all AGP video cards can handle.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 13 of 19, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have exactly same P2B rev 1.02 motherboard and I was not able to get this 100Mhz FSB CPU to work when I tried it couple years ago.

20180222_121020.jpg
Filename
20180222_121020.jpg
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 19, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote:

I have exactly same P2B rev 1.02 motherboard and I was not able to get this 100Mhz FSB CPU to work when I tried it couple years ago.

20180222_121020.jpg

That slotket dosn't seem to have VID selection so the motherboard refuses to start because the motherboards VRM circuit dosn't support 1.75V.

With a slotket with VID selection you can tell the motherboard to provide a supported voltage, in this case 1.8V or more.

The MSI 6905 Master slotket can be found for little money on the auction site we shouldn't speak of.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 16 of 19, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Smack2k wrote:

My slocket does have the VID selection and I set it to 1.8 V per the site I got the information from.

In terms of AGP I tested with a GeForce4 TI 4600 and a Radeon 9800 XT....

Did you get the sloket working at 100 MHz FSB? If not trying other video cards probably isn't going to help.

"No name" slotkets are a bit of a gamble, in some boards they work in others not.

Are you sure your sloket is a FC-PGA/Coppermine slotket and not a PPGA/S370 only slotket?

Reply 17 of 19, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, it works with 100 MHZ FSB, machine POSTS right up....

The Slocket is an ASUS S370 Card, and has the voltage jumpers on it, so it should work.

The card is listed as supporting Coppermine FCPGA Chips as well as others, so not really sure why its not working.....

Reply 18 of 19, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then I think we can be pretty sure it's the motherbaord that just won't cope with the 133 MHz FSB.

Not every motherboard of the same model and revision will overclock the same.

Reply 19 of 19, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, sure seems that way....oh well, guess I will take this one down a little bit speed wise, maybe to 500 MHZ. I have already started to search for a Tualatin board and will use one of my 1.26 GHZ Procs in it instead for faster 98 gaming.....