VOGONS

First post, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I am trying to mount a Zalman VF700-CU onto my wonderful Ti-4200.

However, the rubber grommets that are supposed to be between the mounting bolts and the cards are disintegrating (taking it off another card).

To see where rings go, please see page 2 here --> http://www.zalman.com/DataFile/product/Menual … F700-Cu_eng.pdf

Question - where on Godly Earth do I find replacement rings for this? I have looked on eBay but most seem to be much wider than desired. Short of buying a brand new heatsink I am not sure how else I can be confident they will fit.

Reply 1 of 9, by uzurpator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

They seem to be rather standard rubber O-ring seals. They are videly available in just about any size you wish.

Last edited by uzurpator on 2018-02-20, 09:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Die ewigkeit ist hier und jetzt.

Reply 2 of 9, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
uzurpator wrote:

They seem to be rather standard rubber O-ring seals. Toey are videly available in just about any size you wish.

I am not sure what tongue you switched to there mate, but how widely available? Would I be able to get them at Bunnings?

Reply 3 of 9, by uzurpator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fixed the typo 😀
We are talking "I bought a set of those in a pretty box in Aldi for PLZ 15 ( about $5 ) just the other day."

We are talking something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/225Pcs-Rubber-O-Ring … ksAAOSwLs9aT0zS

Any decent hardware store should have those, I persume.

Die ewigkeit ist hier und jetzt.

Reply 4 of 9, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
uzurpator wrote:
Fixed the typo :) We are talking "I bought a set of those in a pretty box in Aldi for PLZ 15 ( about $5 ) just the other day." […]
Show full quote

Fixed the typo 😀
We are talking "I bought a set of those in a pretty box in Aldi for PLZ 15 ( about $5 ) just the other day."

We are talking something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/225Pcs-Rubber-O-Ring … ksAAOSwLs9aT0zS

Any decent hardware store should have those, I persume.

Ok cheers 😀

Reply 5 of 9, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't find anything small enough in the general hardware store, you could always check with some pneumatics/hydraulics dealer. Directional control valves, etc are full of small O-rings, anyone dealing with that kind of stuff should have an assortment of them in stock.

Personally I prefer nylon washers for that application though. They'll stay in place when you tighten the screws/nuts, and won't become dry and brittle and fall apart with age.

Reply 6 of 9, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kaputnik wrote:

If you don't find anything small enough in the general hardware store, you could always check with some pneumatics/hydraulics dealer. Directional control valves, etc are full of small O-rings, anyone dealing with that kind of stuff should have an assortment of them in stock.

Personally I prefer nylon washers for that application though. They'll stay in place when you tighten the screws/nuts, and won't become dry and brittle and fall apart with age.

I was wondering about that...but wasn't sure if it needed the "spring" offered by a rubber washer. Maybe as a kind of weight dampener.

Reply 7 of 9, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
squiggly wrote:
kaputnik wrote:

I was wondering about that...but wasn't sure if it needed the "spring" offered by a rubber washer. Maybe as a kind of weight dampener.

Nylon will give way too, and distribute the force from the screws over a larger area. Never managed to overtighten a heatsink when using those either 😀

Reply 8 of 9, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kaputnik wrote:
squiggly wrote:
kaputnik wrote:

Nylon will give way too, and distribute the force from the screws over a larger area. Never managed to overtighten a heatsink when using those either 😀

Interesting, I had a look and I am finding it quite hard to find nylon washers at 2mm(inside), 6mm(outside), most of them are 10mm(in), 24mm(out), 2mm(thick). I will so how the rubber grommets go, if I need to replace them in 10 years so be it.

Reply 9 of 9, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DO you mean the Nipple rings, that prevent the cooler mouthings to make damage to the GPU PCB right ? If is that is really easy, just find some good material and cut from there the numbers you need and you will be good to go. On the Zalman coolers so far i have seen, they are using fatter type of paper, you you can call it also carton. Other place where you can find that rings are from older computers like Slot 1, Slot A, socket 7 and older, where they have use them on the motherboards to prevent damage on the PCB.

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088