VOGONS

First post, by croton64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
i've found this computer a few weeks ago...been trying to identify the mobo thru images, finally i've reach these forums and registered. I'm from Argentina, web developer and re discovered a incipient love for these old headaches 😁.

Old beige case with black what?...
RxFNXNCl.jpg
4Q83w88l.jpg
fO9ODC0l.jpg

Dalí would be jealous ... 😜
w8A6ziEl.jpg

Came with a TGUI-9680... (will be replaced with TGUI-9400 VLB if i find it).
YmAVES7l.jpg

It was relatively clean.. so someone give it some maintenance, it still has a thermal pad.
pp2HJnpl.jpg
o4DAMq7l.jpg
LaxbsWfl.jpg

On the subject, afaik after dismantling i've found the mobo in question is a PCChips M919 v3.4B/f (some more images later..), the thing is... it post... but can't make it boot.
First i thought the disk was dead... so i choose to boot from floppy drive (i've installed one for testing), without diskette it gives the proper message "No bootable device - insert boot disk ..." etc.. but with diskette it gives "NO ROM BASIC SYSTEM HALTED" message.

I've tried with other HDD (been using it on win98 machine), same results... is it any way to recover the mobo?... should i reflash the bios with an updated version (is there any)?
BIOS ID: 41-P400-001437-00101111-101094-486AVIP-H

I would like to make this devil incarnation work again.. so any help is appreciated.
Regards

Reply 2 of 7, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The No ROM Basic System halted message means the MBR is corrupt, the HDD has gone bad (likely), or not setup properly in the BIOS. Attempt to boot from the FDD with the HDD disconnected from the motherboard and see what happens.

Another thing would be to clear the CMOS settings by moving the jumper for the battery.
Also, welcome to vogons!

Edit (2-20-18 @ 15:58 or 3:58PM EST): Check to make sure the IDE ribbon cable is oriented correctly on both the motherboard and the HDD.

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2018-02-20, 21:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 3 of 7, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like a PC CHIPS M919. v3.4B with fake cache chips installed (top right corner) and no COAST module (real cache addon).
You'll see it boot with a 256KB WRITE BACK CACHE installed message, but its all tom foolery.
oops, looks like I jumped the gun, and it has been identified...

This is a board with a bad reputation, but has been quite solid for me, and even without L2 cache, is still very fast.

I'd try and stand-alone disk controller with floppy controller to isolate the problem.
Nothing fancy, and with preference to an ISA card, and don't forget to disable the on-board controllers in the BIOS.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 4 of 7, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tpowell.ca wrote:

Looks like a PC CHIPS M919. v3.4B with fake cache chips installed (top right corner) and no COAST module (real cache addon).
You'll see it boot with a 256KB WRITE BACK CACHE installed message, but its all tom foolery.
oops, looks like I jumped the gun, and it has been identified...

Yep, I just got one of these in a lot last month. I love the hollow plastic cache chips... hilarious. 🤣

It seemed to work fine for me though... I had no problems during testing.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 5 of 7, by croton64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

The No ROM Basic System halted message means the MBR is corrupt, the HDD has gone bad (likely), or not setup properly in the BIOS. Attempt to boot from the FDD with the HDD disconnected from the motherboard and see what happens.
Another thing would be to clear the CMOS settings by moving the jumper for the battery.

That's what i've read.. i'll try with another FDD just in case. The first thing i did was clear the CMOS... almost 10 minutes with the jumper in the clear position, a coup of coffe to be exact.

Also, welcome to vogons!
Edit (2-20-18 @ 15:58 or 3:58PM EST): Check to make sure the IDE ribbon cable is oriented correctly on both the motherboard and the HDD.

Thanks, i've a lot to learn from what i've seen. HDD cable was ok.

Ozzuneoj wrote:

Yep, I just got one of these in a lot last month. I love the hollow plastic cache chips... hilarious. 🤣

🤣... i agree, they took the time to make them pretty.

Reply 6 of 7, by oldpcguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember working for a local wholesaler that sold mountains of these boards. Paired them with 5x860-133 units to hide the fake cache. When someone discovered they were fake, company just dropped the price a few bucks and people were happy. Gesh, the old days.