VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My old PSU just died and I have to buy a new one.
Using asus A8V deluxe motherboard, does the cpu power use 5V or 12V rail on this motherboard?
Modern psu's have such low amps at 5V rail so if it would use 5V rail, it would definitely not work.
I just wanted to ask before I would order new one to make sure.

Reply 1 of 6, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It has the 12v CPU power connector, so most likely it uses 12v rail for the CPU. I have had no problems powering A8V board (not the Deluxe) from a modern 12v heavy PSU.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 2 of 6, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aideka wrote:

It has the 12v CPU power connector, so most likely it uses 12v rail for the CPU. I have had no problems powering A8V board (not the Deluxe) from a modern 12v heavy PSU.

I second this, I'm using a new 650W EVGA Bronze power supply with my ASUS A8V and I haven't ran into any problems.

Reply 6 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. That is good to know. I just wasn't sure exactly when the change happened. Also that makes me think that perhaps that was the reason why the psu I had stopped working. It only had 14A 12V rail.
Do these psu generally have some kind of fuse that might be the reason why it stopped working?

Actually the psu isn't completelly dead because the green light on the motherboard still turns on. It is just that when you press power button, absolutely nothing happens. Even old 220W psu that I tested on the motherboard got the fans turned on, but of course there was not enough power for anything else to happen, but with the psu that stopped working, only life sign is the green light on the motherboard.