VOGONS

First post, by Flakchak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm adding a Packard Bell 486 to my collection, and I want to add cache to the motherboard.

It's a PB430 motherboard, and for 128k of cache the specs call for four 32kx8 cache chips and one 32kx8 tag SRAM chip. I wanted to add 512k of cache but I'm having a difficult time finding the proper chips to make that happen. 128k seems much more feasible.

My question is, what is the difference between the two chips? Regular cache chips and tag SRAM chips?

When searching ebay, they both look the same.

A couple of years ago, another member had the same issue finding chips, which is what I'm basing my research on:
Re: Cache Upgrade for 486 PB

I feel really stupid asking this as it seems pretty elementary. But any help would be appreciated.

Searching for a Packard Bell 15" CRT Monitor - 1511SL or 1512SL

Reply 1 of 6, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as I understand it, tag SRAM chips are just SRAM chips, and can be the same as the cache chips, but that depends on the configuration.
Namely, the tag SRAM is used to track the contents of the cache. So the amount of tag SRAM required depends on your cache configuration.
In some configurations the tag and cache chips can be the same, so all 32kx8 for example. In other case, you may have for example 8kx8 tag SRAM chips and 32kx8 cache SRAM chips.

See the manual of my 486 motherboard for example, which explains the possible configurations (and jumper settings):

WP_20180221_16_45_59_Pro.jpg
Filename
WP_20180221_16_45_59_Pro.jpg
File size
1.76 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 2 of 6, by Flakchak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Scali wrote:

As far as I understand it, tag SRAM chips are just SRAM chips

If Tag SRAM chips are the same thing as cache chips, then could I take 5 MT5C1008 (SRAM, 128K x8 DIP32) chips and put them in all 5 cache slots.

I wouldn't have to worry about only installing 4 MT5C1008 (SRAM) along with a separate IS61C1024-20M (TAG Chip DIP32).

The red denoting locations U15, U19, U24 and U30 where cache chips go, and green denoting U35 where the tag SRAM chip goes.

Attachments

• PB430.jpg
    Filename
    PB430.jpg
    File size
    70.97 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 3 of 6, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing stupid as there can be trial and error involved if the motherboard manual gives dubious specs for the tag ram size for example.

I have come across two boards that state that a 16K sram is sufficient as a tag and Boom... the system hung until a 32K one was supplied(same speed grade). With a 32K you can't go wrong especially in a board with only 4(+1) sockets(max. 512KB when 128s are suported).

It can be of advantage to have the sram chip which serves as the tag ram to be of one speed grade higher(15 when paired with 20s) but as long as you stay in the 25-40mhz fsb region you'll be on the safe side with 15s(at slower timings 20s may cut it too).
A single bank system, like yours, is a bit more demanding when it comes to chip timings though - better use 15s to avoid any hassle.

Should your system get stuck before accessing the hard-disk try to change from write-back to write through mode as latter is less "demanding". No guarantees though.

Reply 4 of 6, by Flakchak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
amadeus777999 wrote:

Nothing stupid as there can be trial and error

Very true. At any rate, I bit the bullet and purchased a lot of 11 of these...

20ns.jpg
Filename
20ns.jpg
File size
56.9 KiB
Views
File license

They're 20ns so it fits the profile. PB wanted you to have 15, 20, or 25ns for cache.

I'm also going to get a 10 count of 32kx8 15ns cache. It will only give me 128k of cache, but if the 512k doesn't work out, I have something to fall back on.
At the same time, I have to get a 10 count of Micron Fast Page DRAM.

I hate having to buy in bulk to get what I need. I called around to try and find ISSI IS61C1024-20M chips, but you need to place a minimum order of 200 in order for them to sell to you (500 in some places).
More money than sense in this case... don't tell my wife.

Reply 5 of 6, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Flakchak wrote:
Very true. At any rate, I bit the bullet and purchased a lot of 11 of these... […]
Show full quote
amadeus777999 wrote:

Nothing stupid as there can be trial and error

Very true. At any rate, I bit the bullet and purchased a lot of 11 of these...

20ns.jpg

They're 20ns so it fits the profile. PB wanted you to have 15, 20, or 25ns for cache.

I'm also going to get a 10 count of 32kx8 15ns cache. It will only give me 128k of cache, but if the 512k doesn't work out, I have something to fall back on.
At the same time, I have to get a 10 count of Micron Fast Page DRAM.

I hate having to buy in bulk to get what I need. I called around to try and find ISSI IS61C1024-20M chips, but you need to place a minimum order of 200 in order for them to sell to you (500 in some places).
More money than sense in this case... don't tell my wife.

In regards to the srams - be aware of scammers and fakes albeit they may be less common when acquiring lower speed parts. Try to get 15ns to be on the safe side both speed and deal wise.

From which "shop"/site are you buying?

Reply 6 of 6, by Flakchak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using ebay right now. At this point in the game for me, I'm looking at feedback as well as time on ebay.