VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Will hopefully be this one... assuming I can afford it.

https://www.rampcsystems.com/product/2-isa-slot

I know, this is for old hardware... but if you look... this system has PCI and ISA slots!
And can be configured for up to an i7 cpu.

I have no idea what ISA or PCI cards I'd want to use with it, but the idea just excites the heck out of me.
Maybe stick a hardsid in it?
Voodoo video card on a windows 7 system?
Awe32? Token ring? IDE? MFM? Multi-IO (serial/parallel/game/floppy/ide/etc)?
Granted, the system probably could never run DOS, even FreeDOS... but I'd love to tinker with it.

Reply 2 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That website needs to upgrade from a potato camera.

I really doubt the ISA slots would be useful at all as they most likely don't support DMA. It depends on the ISA bridge chip thought.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 8, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When it comes to a "NEW" daily driver machine , I wouldn't want any of that legacy stuff on it.

It's a massive waste of board space to put standard pci and isa slots onto a machine that isn't going to be compatible with most operating systems or drivers that the hardware requires.

Just get a decent modern system and a decent legacy system. Don't try to frakenstein both together you'll just end up with a slightly worse version of each.

Reply 4 of 8, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emosun wrote:

It's a massive waste of board space to put standard pci and isa slots onto a machine that isn't going to be compatible with most operating systems or drivers that the hardware requires.

Your pc can run numerous isa and pci era operating systems and in many cases make full use of old pci hardware for those platforms without ever leaving your modern desktop.

Reply 5 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
emosun wrote:

Well, really the only thing that needs ISA is DOS, for sound cards. And DOS is compatible with everything (at least until Intel and AMD remove the legacy BIOS emulation).

So, it might be an interesting thing, as long as DMA will work properly for the ISA slots. If not - it's useless. If yes - then you can have a modern system that allows playing DOS games on real hardware, which is neat if you don't have room for a dedicated legacy desktop.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 8, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Going for a brand new daily driver, one better get a legacy free machine these days. It is going to last the next 5 years after all. ISA/PCI/AGP are fun after all, yet mixing vintage and brand new on this scale, can have some serious drawbacks, when one wants to do modern cutting edge computing. Better keep legacy stuff for vintage/retro hardware.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 8, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's nothing exciting about it. This is not Ford re-releasing the '69 Mustang with auto pilot and Siri. These systems are meant for irreplaceable robotics/medical/military ISA cards still relied upon that nobody bothered to put on an FPGA before the source documentation was lost. Fan service to small technology companies that canned their engineering decades ago. $20 for the motherboard would be fun. $865 barebones isn't.

Reply 8 of 8, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just don't see any point of this PC for retro gaming. ISA sound card would almost certainly won't work on it, and without it, the whole existence of it makes absolutely zero sense. Even my semi "retro" PC, which has much older CPU (C2D grade Pentium) don't have a ISA slot, and I can't say, that I'm missing it. It's the same with my main rig, where during last upgrade I throw all PCI slots out out the window with replacement of the motherboard, and again, I'm not missing them even a bit...

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98