VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just posted a link to a modern PC system with ISA and PCI slots, and it made me wonder...

My current modern PC has a PCI slot in addition to its PCIe slots.
I've an NVidia 750Ti GPU.
Would it be possible to stick an old Voodoo card, say a voodoo 3 or voodoo 5, in the PCI slot connected to a 2nd monitor, to use with DOSBox, alongside my NVidia GPU (which would be for everything else)?

Reply 1 of 1, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes and no.

Yes, you can definitely have two separate VGA cards in a modern system, even if they use different chipsets. But no, if that modern system runs a modern OS (i.e. Windows 7 or 10), you can't use a Voodoo because it's the host system that needs to supply the hardware drivers with DOSBox-type emulation and there are no Voodoo drivers for modern systems (and none for 64b in general). Theoretically you might use a virtualisation solution that supports I/O MMU to do PCI passthrough, but that is a *lot* more complicated than just firing up DOSBox and I haven't read of anyone who got that working. Given the way you ask this question I'd be surprised if you could pull it off - but kudos to you if you do 😀

Edit:
Scratch that last idea. Just did a bit of reading up on PCI passthrough and one of the prerequisites is that the card has a ROM with UEFI support. No Voodoo or other card of similar vintage has that. Of course, you could theoretically mod that too, so never say never (this is a forum where people have built new GUS-compatible cards from scratch after all), but this would be a MAJOR undertaking.