VOGONS

First post, by maw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey community,

since I have to setup everything new I wonder what is the best solution for a comfortable dos/windows box. Windows 98 or Windows 95? Are there any + points in using 95? Like space or speed wise?

Thanks
M.

BOX#1: new rebuild no case currently | ASUS P5A | Pentium1 200 | 64MB PC100 | Voodoo3 AGP | AWE64 GOLD + SIMMConn| 16GB Kingspec DOM | DVD Drive | Dos 6.22 + Win98

Reply 1 of 19, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It kinda doesn't matter

I usually always opt for windows 98 whenever it's possible the machine can run it as I dislike the obvious downgrade in the windows 95 interface. But the os's are so similar it kind of doesn't matter. But get ready for a flood of opinionated responses.

Reply 2 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

95 certainly does take less space. Most of 98's bulk is in IE4/IE5+ISPs which can be shed off by 98lite and a 95 shell transplant.

While 98SE is technically the better and more compatibile OS, i'm more fond of 95's early art direction and overall design (especially for their Plus! system icons)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 19, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Honestly, I'd say it's up to you to decide which one you like better. If you plan on using a newer system (like a Pentium III or 4) for 98SE, I'd use 95, otherwise, I'd use 98.

You can use this example on how I have my two 9x rigs managed, sure I could run Windows 98 on my Celeron-433 rig, but since I have a Pentium III rig for 98, I'm using Windows 95OSR2 on that build. There's no reason to induce OS redundancy by using the same OS on two rigs when I can use an older, but still compatible OS on the older rig.

The advantage of going with 95 on your P1 build is it's lighter on resources so it should run smoother with the 32MB of RAM that you have (I hear that 64MB is the soft spot for 98), but 98 does have the advantage of being compatible with newer (~2001-2007) software although there might not be a lot of 98-exclusive programs that'll run smoothly on your system.

Reply 5 of 19, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On a Pentium, use 98SE. It runs well with 32 MB RAM and almost perfect with 64 MB. Windows 95 (B/C, don't bother with the a-version) is quite a bit faster and hence the better choice for a 486. But in many ways, it's also way more primitive and has no advantages over 98 (footprint aside) on a machine fast enough to handle either of them.

Reply 6 of 19, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not both of them? Multiboot is another option. (look at my sig for the DOS/W9x/W2k setup)

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 7 of 19, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I pretty much always try to opt for 98SE on Pentium and above computers. I always try to include it on my PIII computers too, though it's often as a secondary OS there.

Windows 95 I always reserved for 486 systems, with 3.11 for 386s. Below 386 I don't tend to bother with Windows for anything other than the pure gimmick factor.

Reply 8 of 19, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tayyare wrote:

Why not both of them? Multiboot is another option. (look at my sig for the DOS/W9x/W2k setup)

Because having Win95 installed too makes no sense if you can run Win98SE. Win95 on a Pentium has no advantages over 98SE.

Reply 9 of 19, by Dani-01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I prefer using Win 98 SE on Pentiums and faster. Win 95 may be somewhat lighter, but the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. At least in my opinion. If you are planning to use a USB keyboard or mouse, you'll need Win 98.

98 lite can make 98 use the shell of 95, so it'd be just as light, but without the disadvantages. Runs great on a Pentium that way. 😀

Reply 10 of 19, by maw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I will go for this box (in my signature) finally with Win98. Runs so far with 32MB pretty fast and not even the light version. But I am building a second 486 box beside and there it will be DOS6.22 and maybe win95 serve 😀

BOX#1: new rebuild no case currently | ASUS P5A | Pentium1 200 | 64MB PC100 | Voodoo3 AGP | AWE64 GOLD + SIMMConn| 16GB Kingspec DOM | DVD Drive | Dos 6.22 + Win98

Reply 11 of 19, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dani-01 wrote:

At least in my opinion. If you are planning to use a USB keyboard or mouse, you'll need Win 98.

Is there no way of getting USB mice to work on W95C? This is a deal killer for boxes that don't have PS/2 ports.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 12 of 19, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that really depends on the motherboard. Motherboards that don't have USB ports on them probably don't support having a keyboard or mouse during BOOT and therefore might not have Windows 95 support during the OS install either. But some MBs may support USB keyboards during BOOT. If that's the case, I'm sure Windows 95 would be able to see and use it too, though you may have to find a driver in order to enable any special keys. I don't know. I've always had a PS/2 keyboard and mouse to use while fiddling around with my retro hardware.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 14 of 19, by Dani-01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote:
Dani-01 wrote:

At least in my opinion. If you are planning to use a USB keyboard or mouse, you'll need Win 98.

Is there no way of getting USB mice to work on W95C? This is a deal killer for boxes that don't have PS/2 ports.

I think there are some boards that let you enable USB keyboard and mouse support in the BIOS, but I certainly haven't encountered one before that's Socket 7. Using Win 98 with onboard USB or a PCI card avoids the problem at least.

Reply 15 of 19, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I remember correctly there are a very small number games that work fine with 95 but may have some sort of issue with 98 however its been ages since anyone mentioned anything like that here. Personally going with 98 for a P1 system is pretty safe as it is not too demanding and a lot of people did it back in the day for daily use. For a Pentium 2 and above 98 and ME work just fine, I liked ME.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 16 of 19, by IAmJefferson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows 95 came out two years after the original Pentium processor was introduced to public in 1993. The minimum processor to run Windows 95 is an Intel 386DX processor at 20MHz, which is slow and somewhat performance-intensive. The recommended processor to run Windows 95 is an Intel 486DX/DX2 or Intel Pentium. Keep in mind that it may cause timing problems in Windows 95 when running on a processor that above 350MHz.

Windows 98 (FE) was released during the Pentium II era. Windows 98SE was released in May 5, 1999, three months after the release date of the first Intel Pentium III processor in two configurations, 450 MHz and 500 MHz. Despite the minimum processor to run Windows 98 was an Intel 486DX2 at 66MHz, a Pentium processor (particularly Pentium 133MHz until Pentium MMX 233MHz) would be fast enough, but somewhat slow. If you are using a Pentium II processor, then you have an optimal compatibility and performace when using Windows 98. The Pentium III is the fastest processor to handle Windows 98 and it is compatible with a majority of software titles from 1998 until 2007 (or 2008).

Reply 17 of 19, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I installed win98 se on my pentium 133 with 32 mb back in the day and it ran like ass so i had to go back to win95. Win98 was not really acceptable with less than 64 mb of ram.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 18 of 19, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I started with Win95 and then went to Win98SE on my Pentium 233. I didn't notice any loss of performance. The reason I changed was that I wanted to upgrade my IDE controller (which turned out to be well worth doing) and couldn't find any compatible drivers for Win95

Reply 19 of 19, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:
tayyare wrote:

Because having Win95 installed too makes no sense if you can run Win98SE. Win95 on a Pentium has no advantages over 98SE.

...and what we do with our ancient hardware and software here in vogons, makes all the sense all the time, eh? 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000