VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello
Buying a new power supply to replace the "might dangerous" 2005 Colorsit/Colors-IT 400W (350U- ) http://article.techlabs.by/36_521_8.html
Power supply manufacturer: Seasonic e-mail support:
- Asked if= "Do you know if your actual PSU got a -5V rail (see the rating label for this). This rail is no longer provided on recent PSU and your motherboard may need it."
If your motherboard still need it, you will have a hard time to find a Seasonic or any other current PSU brand that will match your motherboard's need.

FOCUS Plus 550 or 650 Gold.
FOCUS Plus 550 or 650 Platinum.

- So will MSI K8MM-V (mfg 2005) VIA K8M800 Socket 754 need that "-5V rail" ?

- Also why I can't use SATA to Molex (IDE) adaptors for PATA IDE HHDs ?
"For SATA to Molex (IDE) adaptor, I may suggest to use them only for fans and keep the Molex (IDE) connectors for your HDD."

Thanks

Reply 1 of 1, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The -5V line is used by some ISA cards. Your motherboard does not have any ISA slots, so you don't need -5V for this system.

As for the SATA connectors, they can carry less current per line than the thick lines in an old-fashioned Molex. If your adapter just connects the one 12V pin of the Molex connector to one pin on the SATA connector, that pin+line might get overloaded and start melting if you connect it to a heavy, demanding PATA HDD that runs its motor off the 12V line. Whether this is actually a realistic scenario with a relatively efficient, relatively modern PATA drive (and potentially an adapter that hooks the one 12V line of the Molex up to all three of the SATA connector) is another matter, but I understand why Seasonic would advise caution and would advise the same.