VOGONS

First post, by lorecast162

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I have a machine, an old Olidata system with a Pentium-S 166MHz and 16MB of RAM.
I installed Windows 95C (OSR2.5) and it all went smooth.
I then installed a 10/100 Fast Ethernet card from compaq (the NC3123, only card I have that is this old) and it went all ok.
I then installed the TCP IP protocol and proceded to set static IP, gateway and subnet mask, but I cannot understand how to set up DNS.
I want to use OpenDNS, since it is the DNS I always use in my machines, even though I don't want Internet on it, just SMB sharing or FTP, so Intranet.
I have a network set up in two different floors, the first one has the main router, which is connected to landline, and in the second floor I have an AP set as a bridge to the main router via WiFi, that is connected to an Ethernet switch. Such switch is then connected to my PCs, which all work fine this way. If I ping the AP from this machine it goes fine, but pinging the main router (the gateway) all requests instantly expire, just like any website like google. My intent is NOT going online, I just want a working share between my machines, since I don't feel like wasting CDs and my floppy disks are all starting to fail 😢
Did I miss something? How do I set up that damn DNS?

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure your router and the AP are in the same scope.
Check your subnets
Check your DHCP settings. I usually leave DHCP turned off on the AP.
If you don't want the machines to browse the internet and you don't need DNS on your LAN then don't push DNS with DHCP or leave the fields blank on your PC or create an ACL on the router firewall to block internet for those machines.

For troubleshooting try traceroutes from the client computers and from the AP.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by lorecast162

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the problem is that only the Windows 95 PC doesn't reach the main router, and I never use DHCP on these computers, only static IPs, the AP and computers always have the main router as gateway and the subnet mask is always the same

Reply 4 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Something is wrong, but it may not be needed anyway.
Win9x is pretty bad with DNS (its designed more for wins but even that was pretty average)
Are the PC's able to ping each other? you may be able to get away with simply using IP addresses rather then hostnames.