VOGONS

First post, by SammyFox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now that I've installed dos 6.22 and windows for workgroups 3.11 on my zenith lappy I decided to wipe my lifebook and put windows 9x on it. The laptop has a Pentium MMX 200mhz cpu and 96mb of ram (and a battery that still holds a 2 hour charge!) and I love it dearly. Normally I'd put windows 95 on it and call it a day but I found out the wifi pcmcia card I have (Linksys wpc54g) doesn't seem to have windows 95 drivers for it (the oldest the card supports is stated to be windows 98) and I want to be able to get on the internet with it (I know there's like 95% of the internet that doesn't render at all on internet explorer 5 and netscape 4.x but those that still do are those that matter to me) so I was wondering, if there really is no way to get that card working with windows 95, would my specs be sufficient to run windows 98 comfortably?

Reply 2 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got an old laptop I was thinking about installing Win98 non SE just for something different.
For me I like Win95 for Pre Pentium 2 and Win98SE for anything after.
SE is the better choice but if its more or a curiosity PC rather then for gaming then why not?

Reply 4 of 5, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 98 (both first and second edition) should run fine with your specs. I once ran Windows 98 on a Dell Latitude CP with a 166 MHz Pentium MMX and 32MB of RAM with no complaints.

As for compatible web browser recommendations: I'd recommend using either Firefox 2.0 or Seamonkey 1.1.x as they're a lot more usable than Internet Explorer 4-6.