VOGONS

First post, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a Libretto U100 which is lovely (if pushing the boundaries of "retro" a tad - but it still uses an IDE drive so I thought you guys would know) but unfortunately painfully slow to do absolutely anything even with a clean copy of Windows on it. It is currently limping along with the stock 512mb of RAM and the 1.8" PATA 30gb hard drive it came with. - which apparently uses a “50-pin CF interface”

Has anyone had any experience fitting an SSD into one of these things? Unfortunately while 1.8" PATA SSDs used to be available it looks like the supply has dried up so I will probably be stuck with a Compact Flash card. Anyone know what sort of speed i should be looking at for Windows XP on a U100?

It'll probably make a really handy little machine for web browsing and maybe a bit of retro gaming if I can get it to do anything at more than a glacial pace.

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM

Reply 1 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not into a Libretto, but I have into my mother-in-law's old Dell Latitude D430 (12"). The HDD was noisy, hot and slow. I found a very affordable Kingspec 32GB SSD with the ZIF-40 connector. I understand that the Libretto U100 has a 50p "CF" interface. Sounds to me like you could just stick in a CF-card. Failing that, there are ZIF-40 to Toshiba 50p adapters available for a few EUR/USD that would let you use one of the ZIF-40 drives in your system.

Reply 2 of 7, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for that. I didn't know you could get ZIF to CF adapters, I think that might be just what I need. However I have also seen adapters for CF card-Toshiba 50 pin interface which confused me a little as I thought the 50 pin interface was the same as compact flash?? I guess it could just be for the mounting screws and master/slave jumper.

As the U100 is apparently a nightmare to strip down and replace the HDD (as opposed to the earlier ones where it's 2 screws and the HDD slides out the side...) I was nervous about using a CF card that might well wear out before too long and wanted to use a "proper" SSD. The drive that's in there now is certainly dreadfully slow, I wonder if the 1gb RAM upgrade will help at all. Sadly that's the maximum it supports as far as I can gather. Not as much of a "modding" community with the U100s as with the older Librettos.

Reply 3 of 7, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apparently one can use an mSATA SSD with an mSATA-ZIF adapter and then a ZIF-50pin adapter. Just so happens I have a spare 128gb mSATA SSD lying around so that'll be my next project after the 1gb stick arrives 😁

I've turned visual effects off and it's actually running along quite nicely now, typing on it right now... with 1gb and an SSD it should be a nice usable machine today and I might even try to get Windows 10 running on it if I'm feeling really adventurous. Fell quite lucky on this, got it pretty cheap and the battery life is brilliant!

Reply 4 of 7, by ArchiMark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

britain4,

Did you ever install the SSD on your U100?

If so, how difficult was it to disassemble U100 to install?

And how much improvement did you see after installing SSD?

I'm thinking to install a KingSpec 128GB SSD in my U105.

Thanks.

Reply 5 of 7, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ArchiMark wrote on 2020-10-22, 16:05:
britain4, […]
Show full quote

britain4,

Did you ever install the SSD on your U100?

If so, how difficult was it to disassemble U100 to install?

And how much improvement did you see after installing SSD?

I'm thinking to install a KingSpec 128GB SSD in my U105.

Thanks.

I may be a tad late with this reply 😁

Just 3 years after I originally wanted to do it (!), I've installed a CF card into it using a CF-50 pin adapter, never found a PATA SSD or got a SATA adapter working. It's a big improvement over the old slow HDD, not as fast as a proper SSD.

Disassembly isn't too difficult but it is a bit tedious - just keep track of where all the screws go

Reply 7 of 7, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No problem at all! Did you ever sort anything out for yours?

Still got mine, still used occasionally and working well!