VOGONS

First post, by eric1992

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to figure out what's causing this nasty low-pitched squeal that sometimes makes like a click or a second long squeal and then I hear it whirring back up. Is it the hard drive or the PSU? I tried another hard drive in the PC and it had the same problem I think, so it may be the power supply. What's your thoughts?

Reply 1 of 7, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like Coil whine. The squealing noise. That is. The Clicking noise sounds like a bad head on a Hard drive. Ya I would replace the powersupply and see if that makes a difference. It may not but its a good place to start. Also you should plug your computer into a UPS incase its just bad power thats coming out of the wall.

Reply 2 of 7, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

UPS only helps, if you have a Online UPS, those cheap small upses do not help with bad power, only with no power.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 3 of 7, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's the filter design of a switched mode power supply. I notice it more when gaming (not all games!) I think because the video card thrashes such large deltas of power use, constantly trying to stay power efficient and cool. It's sudden load changes on the PSU. The parts become like a piezo speaker when the parts resonate at human hearing levels. It could also be from external EMI or they cheaped out on the fan controller and have a strange pwm algorithm based on temp or load.

Reply 6 of 7, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyberdyne wrote:

UPS only helps, if you have a Online UPS, those cheap small upses do not help with bad power, only with no power.

I don't know about junky power supplys. Good normal UPS outputs 100% pure sinewave. It doesn't make a difference if the power is on or off. UPS should be always filtering the power from the wall and converting to sinewave. Any UPS that doesn't do this is not a UPS that you want to buy.