VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a P3 system that's using a BX-2000 motherboard. The system originally ran on a Lucky Star motherboard with a 440BX chip, which was later replaced with a BE6-II which turned out to be defective, so in went the BX-2000 after some bulging caps were replaced (albeit I replaced 105C rated caps with 85C ones). I then replaced a Voodoo 3 3000 with a GeForce 2 GTS after uninstalling the drivers of course.

Now, although the system is rock solid once it boots, occasionally Explorer.exe crashes on me upon boot, and there is nothing I can do even though I can move the mouse - the taskbar is unresponsive, I can bring up the task manager but nothing can be End Tasked, and I can't soft reboot. A hard reset results in a reboot, HDD check, and working system. This is not always the case, it occasionally reboots fine.

What could be the issue? I missed some bad caps? Too many motherboard swaps resulted in broken Win Me? Video card driver mess? (Most likely scenario because as far as I can tell it locks up after the nVidia driver control panel software is loaded and appears in the taskbar). I can reinstall WinMe but I'm not really looking forward to reinstalling dozens of games..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.