VOGONS

First post, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Despite my best efforts, I have been unable to find any of the suggested modern boards that still support floppy, for sale anywhere. Therefore I had to make another concession for my legacy friendly power computer: It will have the PCI slots, COM port and PS/2 that I want but will be missing an FLP controller and parallel port. I figured this would be ok because I could just find a card that would give me a floppy controller. However so far I have only found PCI cards that do this. Two problems with this:

1) I have a ton of PCI-E slots on my current board and would rather use one of them
2) I only have 2 PCI slots, one of which I have reserved for another device I want to install and the 2nd slot is covered by the 2nd PCI-E if I get a dual slot video card for crossfire - not a must right this very minute but if I use both PCI slots I kill any upgrading paths for video.

Are there any PCI-E floppy controllers available? Very important that whatever solution I get is actually bootable, not just one of those dime a dozen floppy drives that run off USB.

I have 1 possible fallback: A very special (to me) usb floppy drive from Panasonic. Supposedly it's one of the only floppy drives ever built that will boot natively through usb, so long as the BIOS scans usb on boot. It's just a PITA because the chord is really short so it'd literally be hanging from the USB port, front or back.

Wondering what others have done to maintain bootable floppy support on their modern rigs.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 1 of 15, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think there is such a thing as a PCIe floppy controller, mostly because there is no point to it and hasn't been for quite a while now.

Also, why would I want to maintain bootable floppy support on any modern (2015+ at least) system? there is no point to it anymore. Bios updates are too big for floppy drives anyway and done from within the bios most of the time (integrated update function) or from bootable USB sticks.

BTW Dos compatibility is going away anyway since the UEFI compatibility module is considered obsolete by now and is now slowly being phased out.

Reply 2 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why not use a USB extension cable?

Also, Any of the older Dell laptop floppy modules that have the USB plug on them as well should be bootable no problem. I have a large stack of them. I can double check when I get back home.

I'll check a couple other USB floppy drives I have for bootability as well.

Edit:
I have one of my USB floppy drives with me. Just tested with a Dell Latitude E6420. Only thing I had to do was enable "Diskette Boot" in the BIOS so I could select it on the boot menu.
The USB floppy drive is: Dell UF0002

Just tested on a Dell Precision M4800. Works under legacy boot as well.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2018-03-06, 21:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you dare operate on that Panasonic drive if you find it:
The 'special sauce' is almost certainly in the USB-floppy adapter in it. So you could see if you could disconnect the USB adapter from the floppy drive. Then connect that adapter to a regular internal floppy drive. And connect the USB directly to an internal USB header. Electrically it's exactly the same as with the external drive, but now with an internal drive that will be indistinguishable from a regular one from outside the case.

Reply 5 of 15, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting theory. Might be a fun electrical project. It just so happens I have 2 of these things. Bought 1 second hand by accident and then decided to buy a new one so I have both. I could dissect the old one I guess. It definitely is special sauce though.

As cyclone points out, the BIOS is probably the clincher. The board I'm looking at is a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P and the BIOS seems to be similar to one I've used in the past. I recall that one having "legacy USB" as a boot option. I hope this board has it as well.

Reply 6 of 15, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I might as well inquire... since there's a chance I won't need to do crossfire (an R9-270X should be enough for most of the games I play), what is the recommendation for a PCI card with a floppy controller?

Reply 7 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

I might as well inquire... since there's a chance I won't need to do crossfire (an R9-270X should be enough for most of the games I play), what is the recommendation for a PCI card with a floppy controller?

Basically... good luck finding one.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

Interesting theory. Might be a fun electrical project. It just so happens I have 2 of these things. Bought 1 second hand by accident and then decided to buy a new one so I have both. I could dissect the old one I guess. It definitely is special sauce though.

As cyclone points out, the BIOS is probably the clincher. The board I'm looking at is a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P and the BIOS seems to be similar to one I've used in the past. I recall that one having "legacy USB" as a boot option. I hope this board has it as well.

Looking through the manual for that board, it supports booting to legacy devices.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/549876/Giga … 3p.html?page=42
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/549876/Giga … 3p.html?page=43

You might have to enable the "legacy option ROM" for it to boot to a USB floppy. I'm not entirely sure.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 15, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

More than likely the USB on that combo drive is used ONLY for the memory card reader, while the floppy drive uses a regular floppy interface.

Reply 11 of 15, by HoneyBadger1650

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:

The 'special sauce' is almost certainly in the USB-floppy adapter in it. So you could see if you could disconnect the USB adapter from the floppy drive. Then connect that adapter to a regular internal floppy drive. And connect the USB directly to an internal USB header. Electrically it's exactly the same as with the external drive, but now with an internal drive that will be indistinguishable from a regular one from outside the case.

That's the way to go. I bought an external Sabrent USB-floppy drive off of Amazon, took it apart, and took out the adapter. Then I took my internal Mitsumi drive (in a YE-Data memory card reader combo), unplugged the floppy controller & power board that was connected to the drive with a single ribbon cable, and just replaced that with the USB adapter's ribbon cable. Hooked it up to an internal USB header and it worked like a charm. Bootable as legacy (on an MSI board). So that'd be your best bet.

Reply 13 of 15, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LS-120 drives connect to IDE interface (40-pin... rather than 34-pin floppy interface) and can use 720K/1440K floppies. Not sure if you'd be able to boot from it though, especially if your board doesn't have IDE (I don't really know what new motherboards have, I am still using a 10-year-old board in my main PC)

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 14 of 15, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
torindkflt wrote:

More than likely the USB on that combo drive is used ONLY for the memory card reader, while the floppy drive uses a regular floppy interface.

No, that floppy is driven by USB as well.

Reply 15 of 15, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

I actually have one of these, and can buy more for people who want them from a local source; you would have to cover shipping from Turkey though. It is registered as a USB floppy drive, and I have had no luck writing boot disk images to it with this device. It works fine as a floppy drive otherwise, though. Of course, forget DOS.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.