VOGONS

First post, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

Today I received a L2 cache-free 486 motherboard, an Edom MV035F, based on OPTi's 802 chipset. I wanted something to use up my Cyrix 486DX2 on. When I opened it up and looked it over, I noticed that a lot of components were omitted by the factory, including the jumpers I needed to get the Cyrix to work on it, so I bought some jumpers and a button cell battery holder at Fry's Sacramento and soldered them in. (Interestingly, despite the cache sockets and jumpers being removed, all the low-level components such as the resistors and capacitors are in place, so all those spots are still 100% electrically active; in the future, I might consider re-adding everything. But for now...)

The seller claimed that it POSTed, but all the BIOS options were grayed out. I pulled and dumped the BIOS chip, ran it through MODBIN and found out the OEM of the board simply set all BIOS setup options to 'SHOW-ONLY'. I set all except PCI CONFIGURATION to 'Enabled' (since this board doesn't have any PCI slots), blanked the EPROM and burned the modified BIOS to it, and now I can set all CMOS setup options normally.

I assembled the system and tested CACHECHK, SpeedSys and DOOM -timedemo with it.
The specs:
- CPU: Cyrix 486DX2-66, 5V version
- Motherboard: Edom MV035F
- RAM: 16MB (4 x 4MB 70ns 30-pin SIMMs)
- VGA: BTC Oak Technology OTI087X ISA VGA /w 1MB video memory; 16-bit video memory data bus
- Sound: None
- HDD: Seagate ST32122A
- OS: IBM PC-DOS 6.3 (left-shift boot; no TSRs or memory manager active)

CacheChk V7: (sorry about the poor quality of the shot, rest assured the reality is much clearer than this)

IMG_0533.JPG
Filename
IMG_0533.JPG
File size
788.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

These timings seem kind of fast for a board without L2 cache IMO.

SpeedSys:

MV035F.png
Filename
MV035F.png
File size
7.08 KiB
Views
File comment
MV035F no L2 cache
File license

Again not bad at all. The lack of L2 cache finally manifests in a really sluggish move score relative to the Read and Write scores, but overall performance seems reasonably good. Better than many 486 systems I've used that had L2 cache, actually!

Doom Shareware 1.9 (doom -timedemo demo3 -nosound -nojoy -nonet): 3645 realtics
I think my OTI087X owes a lot to the realtics score. If there were L2 cache installed it'd probably be higher.

Last edited by Eep386 on 2018-03-10, 18:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 1 of 9, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, here's the modified BIOS, which might be helpful for anyone else with an MV035F that doesn't let them change any CMOS Setup options.

Attachments

• Filename
    MV035FED.zip
    File size
    44.66 KiB
    Downloads
    128 downloads
    File license

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 2 of 9, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to bump this, but I just added some cache sockets and installed 128KB of L2 cache into them (20ns chips, 12ns TAG chip). I could have added all nine sockets to get 256KB, but I had an 8KB chip and four 'odd' brand 32K chips I wanted to use up, so I just installed five for now.
The tangible effect on performance was much smaller than I had anticipated, probably because the board was already pretty flipping quick without it. Adding L2 cache did reduce the sub-128KB off-L1 move speed hit under Speedsys by a whopping 50% though:

MV035-C.png
Filename
MV035-C.png
File size
11.78 KiB
Views
File comment
MV035F with 128KB cache
File license

It also brought some very minor (like below 1%) improvements to off-cache access time too. 🤣 at the dip in linear verify from my Quantum Fireball TM hard drive - seems there's an error on the surface that needs to be MHDD'd out. (I did pull it out of a 'goodie pile' at a recycler...)

Additional speed measurements pending, I will edit this post directly to avoid further disrupting the stream of posts in this forum.

Reply 3 of 9, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

how is your cache and dram timing? i feel that your dram performance seems quite fast while cache performance is rather slow compared to typical machines.

Reply 4 of 9, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DRAM read states are 3-2-2-2. 1 write wait state.
L2 cache read burst is 2-1-1-1, 0 write wait state.
L2 cache configured as Burst W/B (odd considering there's only an 8KB TAG for 128KB), hidden refresh ON. L2 timings seem really fast for 20ns chips on 33MHz FSB. :^)
I have noticed that Cyrix 486s tend to have higher DRAM throughput compared to Intel/AMD 486s, despite having a somewhat slower L1 cache mechanism.

With 128KB cache, Doom Shareware comes in at 3431 realtics, down from 3645 without cache. With 256KB of cache (almost borked the board putting it on 🤣), it goes to 3348 realtics.

Reply 5 of 9, by MWCMM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eep386 wrote:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, here's the modified BIOS, which might be helpful for anyone else with an MV035F that doesn't let them change any CMOS Setup options.

Eep386, I have a few MF035F Motherboards that I would like to use your BIOS to unlock the setup options. What utility do you use to flash the new BIOS? Does it have a backup function in case something goes wrong?
There are still a few industrial controllers that use these boards and I'm looking for a few more boards to purchase as spares.

Thanks

Reply 6 of 9, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry about the late post; old 486 boards do not usually support flashing EEPROMs from their sockets, so I used an old Al Needham PB-10 ISA EPROM burner to make BIOS chips. Your best and only backup would be the original BIOS chip in that case.

Reply 7 of 9, by Kevin0305

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MWCMM wrote:
Eep386, I have a few MF035F Motherboards that I would like to use your BIOS to unlock the setup options. What utility do you use […]
Show full quote
Eep386 wrote:

Eep386, I have a few MF035F Motherboards that I would like to use your BIOS to unlock the setup options. What utility do you use to flash the new BIOS? Does it have a backup function in case something goes wrong?
There are still a few industrial controllers that use these boards and I'm looking for a few more boards to purchase as spares.

Thanks

I have 2 boards from perle 594 systems, same mv035f boards just stripped down version for their system. not much on them, no memory or 486 chip will be included on them. Would you be interested in them?

Reply 9 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Really, this board uses the OPTi 802 chipset? I think I've seen these boards before and I thought they used the 895. 802 would be a fairly uncommon one.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium