VOGONS

First post, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Something mildly interesting I’ve found recently... an unused Celeron system from around 2000 while doing a house clearance for someone. In the original box, wrapped in cellophane, brand spanking new and fresh inside and never been turned on - went through all the driver installs first time I booted it!

The parts are dated around 2000 so it would have been a very budget PC back in the day, with a Celeron 500, ATI Rage Pro Turbo, some kind of crap sound card, QDI BrillianX9 motherboard, 64mb PC100, and a 6.8gb (I think) hard drive with Windows Me installed and a 52x CD reader.

Given its very basic spec I don’t think it would be worth mothballing and keeping untouched? So I was thinking of sticking a PIII in there, a decent sound card, and potentially also a better GPU.

The case is quite a nice Enlight one with no marks or yellowing whatsoever (having been kept in its original box for 18 years)

Etl7COY.jpg

YK6Z5cQ.jpg

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM

Reply 1 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2 ISA slots, good foundation for DOS/Win98 machine.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 12, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is, I’m thinking of using it for just that. I do have another one I’m just building though... but I prefer this case and the other parts are in better shape. I might make one a DOS system and the other W98.

Reply 3 of 12, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd keep it as original and authentic as possible. There's nothing more challenging and fun than to cope with limitations. Isn't it by the way why we love retro stuff so much? If we max out all retro systems, we could just keep our Core i7 computers and play in a DosBox or in a VM...

Reply 4 of 12, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was considering that but then again something like a P3-700 (which I might soon have a spare one of), 128mb RAM and maybe a Rage 128 Pro would keep it sensible and “of the era” but a little more useful.

The other thing is I want to build a Tualatin system and if my other board doesn’t work with it I might need to use this one...

Reply 7 of 12, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That would be sensible. Hopefully if my other build works out properly with a Tualatin then I will be able to keep this one as is apart from adding in a Voodoo2.

If it turns out my other board doesn’t play nice with a Tualatin this one may end up getting pin modded though and the other one running the Celeron in a slocket...

Errius wrote:

Who buys a new computer but never uses it?

Apparently it was an (unwanted) gift brand new in 2000 that somehow escaped being sold on, given away or thrown out! There was a brand new keyboard and mouse in there too and a brand new CRT!

Reply 10 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
britain4 wrote:

It is, I’m thinking of using it for just that. I do have another one I’m just building though... but I prefer this case and the other parts are in better shape. I might make one a DOS system and the other W98.

That case has a PSU mounted on it's side, so to say, so instead of sucking in air to the top of the case, it will actually try to suck air on the exact opposite direction compared to the CPU cooler fan.
Such cases are really more useful with Slot boards when it comes to airflow.

That's a s370 BX board, I think those are nice! Board supports up to 256MB modules (with 16 or 18 chips, not 256MB modules with 8 or 9 or fewer chips). My s370 BX board ended up with a Celeron 800 and a Voodoo3 😀

Upgrading to a Coppermine 700 would actually reduce CPU heat production. Not by a lot though. I mean, Celeron 500 is like 30w maybe and Coppermine 700 is more like 20w or so. You could even opt to use a Coppermine 1GHz in there and underclock it to 750MHz. These CPUs are pretty solid, good performers for what they are and should be common as well. Doesn't hurt to have a spare, right? 😀

128MB RAM sounds like a useful upgrade. If using ME I'd recommend you put at least 192MB in there.
I never used a Rage 128 Pro, but I did have a retro rig with a Coppermine 800 (133MHz FSB i815 board) matched with a Viper V770 (TNT2 Pro) and I thought it was a pretty balanced rig.

I do have a weak spot for s370 Mendocinos though, I really liked my s370 400MHz rig, used it for years! 😁

Your rig looks like a fun project, especially since it's a bit of a time machine 😁. I'd make sure the caps inside the PSU are alright though (be very careful if you end up messing around in its internals as it may even be lethal if you're not careful).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 12, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
That case has a PSU mounted on it's side, so to say, so instead of sucking in air to the top of the case, it will actually try t […]
Show full quote

That case has a PSU mounted on it's side, so to say, so instead of sucking in air to the top of the case, it will actually try to suck air on the exact opposite direction compared to the CPU cooler fan.
Such cases are really more useful with Slot boards when it comes to airflow.

That's a s370 BX board, I think those are nice! Board supports up to 256MB modules (with 16 or 18 chips, not 256MB modules with 8 or 9 or fewer chips). My s370 BX board ended up with a Celeron 800 and a Voodoo3 😀

Upgrading to a Coppermine 700 would actually reduce CPU heat production. Not by a lot though. I mean, Celeron 500 is like 30w maybe and Coppermine 700 is more like 20w or so. You could even opt to use a Coppermine 1GHz in there and underclock it to 750MHz. These CPUs are pretty solid, good performers for what they are and should be common as well. Doesn't hurt to have a spare, right? 😀

128MB RAM sounds like a useful upgrade. If using ME I'd recommend you put at least 192MB in there.
I never used a Rage 128 Pro, but I did have a retro rig with a Coppermine 800 (133MHz FSB i815 board) matched with a Viper V770 (TNT2 Pro) and I thought it was a pretty balanced rig.

I do have a weak spot for s370 Mendocinos though, I really liked my s370 400MHz rig, used it for years! 😁

Your rig looks like a fun project, especially since it's a bit of a time machine 😁. I'd make sure the caps inside the PSU are alright though (be very careful if you end up messing around in its internals as it may even be lethal if you're not careful).

Yeah I see what you mean about the PSU. We’ll see what happens with it - I think now I know my Slot 1 board should take a Tualatin that will be going in my other more modern case (with horizontal mounted PSU). Not ideal but I’d like to have the Tualatin in the more modern case and the Coppermine 700 in this one.

Lower heat production would be handy given what you said about the airflow! Having said that, the Coppermine 700 still hasn’t turned up yet, it’s over a week late now so I think I’ll end up getting my money back. I was going to go something like a P3 700 with a Voodoo3 in this one and a high end Tualatin in the other with a Geforce4 Ti 4200 - but I don’t know if the Tualatin pin mod (on a slotket) is absolutely guaranteed to work? So I may just play it safe with a fast Coppermine.

Anyway the PSU seems to be running fine but I will take a look at it and also drop in some more memory. I may stick with Me for originality - I haven’t come across a reason to change from it yet. It should be fun indeed 😁

STX wrote:

Nice find!
Did it ask for a new CMOS battery?

Thanks, yeah I was pretty pleased about it. It does need a new CMOS battery, that’s another thing I need to get round to doing.