VOGONS

First post, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can buy this lot of cards for 30 euros. Ok for quantity it's probably worth, but do you think there are good items in there ? I'm intrigued by this audio card with memory expansion, 2nd pic on the left. Do you know what model it is?

a20d5af2cea1ab42c5ea2ca5b7b3364f0a63435d.jpg
Filename
a20d5af2cea1ab42c5ea2ca5b7b3364f0a63435d.jpg
File size
171.07 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
90a3a6f371379e7efdce85ce93b3601a89b2ec2a.jpg
Filename
90a3a6f371379e7efdce85ce93b3601a89b2ec2a.jpg
File size
178.95 KiB
Views
File license
a3eeb4a59ffd4cf2425192065969312bb5d07a3c.jpg
Filename
a3eeb4a59ffd4cf2425192065969312bb5d07a3c.jpg
File size
175.08 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by okenido on 2018-03-11, 19:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it depends on what you are looking for. Video cards that have only one black colored vga interface have a chance to be something usable in retro systems and same with sound cards that don't have colored connectors. The sound card with colored connectors and black board reminds me of sound blaster live, but I can't be absolutely sure of that. I like treasure hunting, so I would probably buy them at that price.

Reply 4 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also one of the black connectors almost looks like it would only have 2 rows in the female connector, so might that be ega card? I can't be absolutely sure because of low resolution of the pictures, but it looked like that to me.

Reply 5 of 30, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is 100% guaranteed a good deal, a no brainer 😀 Sure, I see lots of probably not very valuable 15-20 year old graphics cards, but you can sell the rest and keep what you want anytime.

Reply 8 of 30, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Woolie Wool wrote:

What is the big black port next to VGA on some of those cards? My Matrox Millennium has one and I have no idea what it does.

It's the port for a breakout box, for video capture, MPEG decoding or TV tuner. You need a module installed on the card (MediaXL MPEG or TV) and dongle to make use of it.

Reply 11 of 30, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Woolie Wool wrote:

What is the big black port next to VGA on some of those cards? My Matrox Millennium has one and I have no idea what it does.

Baoran wrote:

Also one of the black connectors almost looks like it would only have 2 rows in the female connector, so might that be ega card? I can't be absolutely sure because of low resolution of the pictures, but it looked like that to me.

That black connector (on the VGA card in the middle between a SCSI card and a Firewire card) looks like the DB15 connector found on beige Macintoshes, I'm guessing either that video card was meant to be used in a Macintosh computer or that port might be for something else (like a breakout box as already mentioned). I know that some PCI ATI Rage video cards (for Macs) had both a VGA connector (for regular VGA monitors) and a DB15 connector for those older Apple monitors.

Reply 12 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That sound card with the 72-pin RAM expansion slot is probably worth way more than the asking price for the whole lot.

If it were me, I would pick that lot up in a heartbeat.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 30, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I searched for this card but can't find anything, it has the SIMM slot taking nearly the full length of the card (which is quite small). The only sound cards I find on the net with expansion slots are much longer. I've offered 40€ to the seller for the lot + shipping costs, I'm waiting for his answer 😀

Reply 14 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
okenido wrote:

I searched for this card but can't find anything, it has the SIMM slot taking nearly the full length of the card (which is quite small). The only sound cards I find on the net with expansion slots are much longer. I've offered 40€ to the seller for the lot + shipping costs, I'm waiting for his answer 😀

Yeah, I haven't turned up anything either for that particular sound card. I am VERY interested to find out what it is exactly. Wish that sticky note was not laying on top of it.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 30, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I found it 😀

Seems to be a Guillemot Maxi Sound 64 Dynamic 3D

maxi_sound_64_dynamic_3d.jpg
Filename
maxi_sound_64_dynamic_3d.jpg
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license

I don't know anything about this card. Doesn't seems very common

http://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_maxi_sound … dynamic_3d.html

Reply 16 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ohhhhh, nice. That would be a very nice all-in-one DOS sound card and pretty sweet for Win9x as well.

Hope you get that lot of cards!

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 30, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Woolie Wool wrote:

These two display adapters are probably Matrox Millenium or Mystique. They have this black midi/joystick type connectors to be used together with their Rainbow Runner daughterboards for additional features like MPEG decoding, video capture, or TV. These daughterboards come with a breakout cable that connects to this port.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 19 of 30, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I received the box, and this pile of "crap" was really worth !! 🤣

Two Voodoo 5
A Voodoo Banshee
A radeon 9500
A radeon 9200se (with the nice gold MSI heatsink)
Several ATI Rage, geforce 2MX cards
A Matrox card with a daughterboard attached to it
A Sound blaster Live
A Guillemot sound card with ram expansion
A Korg daughterboard for sound card
A PCI riser (plugs into 1 pci slot to give 2 pci slot... does this works as standard or needs a specific mobo?)
Several PCI/USB/Firewire cards
A PCI card with 4 serial ports
A PCI card that seems specific for some industrial purpose, i don't know what it does
Some OEM sound cards, noname sloket and maybe some things im missing

All the stuff is covered with nasty dust, some of it seems shiny/metallic. I'll have to do a very deep cleaning job before I can check they're working properly.