VOGONS

First post, by Luca91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
yesterday I've installed FreeDOS in the attempt to resurect my first computer (from 1996).
Now, the system is working but I've some problems:

FIXED -> 1) Sound card problem: I've this sound card "expertcolor med3931", and I've downloaded and burned the disc "ExpertColor driver CD from late 1997" (found here: VOGONS Driver Library -first post of the page). When I try to run the setup.exe I get this error: [code]bad command or file name "-win"[/code] Any help please?

FIXED -> 2) Mouse problem: I've a COM Logitech mouse. CuteMouse detect it, but it doesn't works in Edit nor in videogames (I tried Vertigo). What's the problem here?

FIXED -> 3) Ethernet card: this is the worst issue, becasue no eth==no internet, so I can't access the freedos repo. My Eth card is "Dlink DFE-530TX". I've tried to download the driver from the Dlink site (it is still downloadable), but guess what: [code]"this program cannot be run in dos mode"[/code] Is there any other driver I can try to get the this to work?

Thank you very much 😀

EDIT: Mouse is now working, I've installed the logitech mouse.exe driver
EDIT2: Eth fixed installing DLKFET.COM driver
EDIT3: Sound card fixed using the workaround at post 2 😀

Last edited by Luca91 on 2018-03-12, 23:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The setup.exe is a windows executable. You need to install the drivers from within windows (95 or 3.1). The readme.txt says as much. There is no pure dos installer supplied. I guess you could try to find drivers for the soundchip directly, but they may not work.

This is the soundchip: OPTi 82C931

Reply 2 of 2, by Luca91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Koltoroc wrote:

The setup.exe is a windows executable. You need to install the drivers from within windows (95 or 3.1). The readme.txt says as much. There is no pure dos installer supplied. I guess you could try to find drivers for the soundchip directly, but they may not work.

This is the soundchip: OPTi 82C931

Hey i just got it to work: I used a Windows95 VM to install the driver, then I extracted the folder, burned on disc and installed on my computer! It works, but I have to run sndinit.exe everytime I reboot, or I'll get no sound. This is strange because I already configured autoexec.bat to call the exe...