VOGONS

First post, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello friends and neighbours,

since I saw someone on the Software board with a similar issue (I decided this is kind of a hardware issue but will gladly be redirected) I thought I'd bring this up –, so:

I have this Siemens PCD-4ND laptop with the original 820 or so Mb HDD, which works fine but is pretty loud and definitely the bottleneck of this whole setup.

I tried with a 40GB Toshiba HDD, which the machine recognizes as 8060 Mb (the BIOS limit, I assume). I also flashed the BIOS to the latest available version. However, booting from floppy, FDISK only recognizes a capacity of 4080 Mb and gives a negative size of "-287 Mb" and says there is no room to make a partition. I tried pre-partitioning the drive on my desktop PC to a FAT16/FAT32 primary with a size the laptop should be able to cope with, however, after I finish installing Windows 95 the laptop refuses to boot from drive C and gets stuck on the blinking cursor.

I would chalk it up to the BIOS not liking bigger HDDs, if not for the fact that this guy here did just that on the same type of laptop:

http://boginjr.com/electronics/old/pcd-4nd/

Maybe I got a bad drive (I did order another one for testing), but maybe there is something else I'm missing?

Any and all advice would be heavily appreciated 😀

Best regards,
Henry

Last edited by henryVK on 2018-03-17, 12:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are at least two ways to do it.

- If you are happy with only an 8GB (or less) HDD, you can use a utility like Seagate Seatools to adjust it as a "fake 8GB (or less) drive" (i.e. limit its capacity to 8GB or less), so there will be no BIOS issues.

- If you want the whole capacity, you need to be using an overlay sofware like Ontrack (or any other brand specific versions of it) to install it and you will have all 40GB available (though a small program will be loaded from your HDD's MBR to take over the handling).

By the way, I wouldn't suggest using MS-DOS (or w9x) Fdisk. You can go to:

http://www.mdgx.com/upd98me.php

and download bugfixed/better versions of Fdisk (Search for FDSKFRMT.EXE or BHDD 3.1). You can laso use any of the much better 3rd party partitioning utilities. My personal favorite is "efdisk" from masterbooter package (comes free with its shareware version).

P.S. Do not forget that a proper boot parition should be created as a "primary partition" and must be "active".

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 2 of 8, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply!

tayyare wrote:

There are at least two ways to do it.

- If you are happy with only an 8GB (or less) HDD, you can use a utility like Seagate Seatools to adjust it as a "fake 8GB (or less) drive" (i.e. limit its capacity to 8GB or less), so there will be no BIOS issues.

I see, so is that an entirely different process than just making a 8 GB primary active partition with something like Partition Wizard or Diskpart?

tayyare wrote:

- If you want the whole capacity, you need to be using an overlay sofware like Ontrack (or any other brand specific versions of it) to install it and you will have all 40GB available (though a small program will be loaded from your HDD's MBR to take over the handling).

Very cool!
I would be happy with just 8 GB since it's a 50 Mhz 486 and I mostly want the new HDD for reduced noise, increased access and to store the odd CD-image, but I might try it just for kicks. The other thing is, that neither my Windows 7 nor XP machines can see the old 800 Mb HDD via a USB-IDE interface, even though they can see other FAT16 HDDs just fine...

tayyare wrote:

By the way, I wouldn't suggest using MS-DOS (or w9x) Fdisk. You can go to:

http://www.mdgx.com/upd98me.php

and download bugfixed/better versions of Fdisk (Search for FDSKFRMT.EXE or BHDD 3.1). You can laso use any of the much better 3rd party partitioning utilities. My personal favorite is "efdisk" from masterbooter package (comes free with its shareware version).

Yeah, I had already noticed that DOS 6.22's FDisk and the one that comes on a Windows 95 bootdisk behave very differently. As I mentioned, I was using Diskpart and Partition Wizard unsuccesfully.

Reply 3 of 8, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
henryVK wrote:

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply!

No problems at all! 🤣

henryVK wrote:

I see, so is that an entirely different process than just making a 8 GB primary active partition with something like Partition Wizard or Diskpart?

Yeah, somehow it is. It will limit the size of your disk to something smaller, so your BIOS will see it as it was a smaller capacity HDD.

henryVK wrote:

Very cool!
I would be happy with just 8 GB since it's a 50 Mhz 486 and I mostly want the new HDD for reduced noise, increased access and to store the odd CD-image, but I might try it just for kicks. The other thing is, that neither my Windows 7 nor XP machines can see the old 800 Mb HDD via a USB-IDE interface, even though they can see other FAT16 HDDs just fine...

I have not much idea why this happens, but it happens. My Windows 7 PC wants me to reformat an old WD mybook 500GB HDD as soon as I plugged it, whereas daughter's Windows 10 PC just sees it without any fuss.

henryVK wrote:

Yeah, I had already noticed that DOS 6.22's FDisk and the one that comes on a Windows 95 bootdisk behave very differently. As I mentioned, I was using Diskpart and Partition Wizard unsuccesfully.

In anyways, I still suggest to use a bug fixed fdisk or some other simple and straight forward dos based partitioning utility. I suggest you to use seatools to limit its capacity to 8GB or less, create a primary active parttion, use W98 startup floppy or similar to format it like FORMAT C: /S to make it DOS bootable and see if it boots. If it works, you can continue to do whatever you want from there. If it does not, then maybe there is some other problem, probably hardware related.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 4 of 8, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For some reason Seatools does not see the HDD in question via the USB/IDE adapter. I've tried the DOS version on my laptop, but so far it crashes midway through loading..

I tried looking for an alternative to Seatools as far as setting HDD capacity, but no dice so far. If anyone knows of a different solution, preferably via my windows 7 machine, that would be awesome!

Swapping files to my other laptop and then using the com-cable to move them to my 486 is quite the ordeal ^^

Reply 5 of 8, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter somewhere over the rainbow. Check eBay (there's usually some on there, but I digress) or your local computer store.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 6 of 8, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
henryVK wrote:

For some reason Seatools does not see the HDD in question via the USB/IDE adapter. I've tried the DOS version on my laptop, but so far it crashes midway through loading..

I tried looking for an alternative to Seatools as far as setting HDD capacity, but no dice so far. If anyone knows of a different solution, preferably via my windows 7 machine, that would be awesome!

Swapping files to my other laptop and then using the com-cable to move them to my 486 is quite the ordeal ^^

doing low level IDE operations like that does not reliably work over USB adapters. You might have to do it on a native IDE port.

Reply 7 of 8, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Koltoroc wrote:

doing low level IDE operations like that does not reliably work over USB adapters. You might have to do it on a native IDE port.

Cheers, people. That's what I figured in the end!

Apparently I'm destined to stock up on adapters and usb dongles. Already ordered a (name brand) usb floppy drive as well.

Reply 8 of 8, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, thanks everyone! The key info on this was to just use the proper version of FDISK, being the one that comes i.e. on a Win98 bootdisk. After making a primary partition with maximum capacity and formatting the drive everything worked like a charm. Even my Win 7 desktop pc can see the HDD via IDE/USB interface again...

Noise is down to a whisper, performance is noticably better; should measure framerate in Doom II some time, to see what that amounts to in FPS.