VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently built an Athlon64 system My Athlon 64 build adventures. and I would like to be able upgrade the ram to 2Gb with 2 1Gb ddr memory modules in dual channel.
I have many 1Gb DDR memory modules, most of them different models of kingston, but I don't seem to be able to make them work. I currently have 2 512Mb apacer modules in the system and they work fine even with 2.5-3-3-8 timings and T1.
I have tried everything I can think of with those 1Gb modules, but I still seem to always get errors in test #8 of memtest86. I have tested slower timings like 3-4-4-10 T2 and I have tried increasing the voltage to 2.7V and I have always been using.
Any idea if the problem is with the motherboard or could it only be that the ram modules are such bad quality that they just don't work dual channel?

Reply 1 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is a picture of kingston memory modules I have tried.

ram1gb.jpg
Filename
ram1gb.jpg
File size
1.81 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it would work at 333Mhz, would the reason for it not working at 400Mhz be because of the motherboard or the low quality of memory modules? Basically I am asking if getting better ram modules would help or is this limitation of the motherboard and memory controller?

Reply 4 of 10, by croton64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your previous post says it came with PC3200 from Apacer.. are they DS or SS sticks?.. anyway...were those sticks running at full speed? if yes, then the new sticks could be the problem, if no.. maybe the mobo is the problem.

Have you checked bios versions for A8V?

Reply 5 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, that's related only to the memory controller in CPU. Never tried elpida modules with Athlon64 though, perhaps they need some timing tweak in other area.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is the newest bios version you can get from asus site. All those kingston memory modules and apacer ones are DS. I have 2 identical apacer modules there and they work fine at 400mhz, T1 and 2.5-3-3-8 timings.
Here is a picture of one of them:

20180316_221605[1].jpg
Filename
20180316_221605[1].jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I can't think of any other reason for all the kingston 1Gb modules giving similar errors in memtest86 except either those kingston modules are bad quality or the motherboard doesn't like 1Gb modules dual channel.
I doubt all those kingston modules are faulty but I don't have another pc where I can test them. That is the main thing I would like to find out if I should try to find better quality ddr ram on ebay or if the problem is with the motherboard and it would not help.

Reply 7 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try to find 1gb Samsung UCCC modules in your local area.

Reply 8 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was thinking that if getting better ram modules would help with the problem and I am going to have to spend money on ram, I might as well go to faster ram like trying to find fast g.skill, ocz or crucial PC4000 ram. Then money would be going to a ram speed upgrade as well in addition of increasing amount of ram.

Reply 9 of 10, by MMX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a similar problem. I installed 3 512Mb modules (Corsair Value Select) instead my 2*512 DDR 433 Kingmax. When i started MemTest i always got error approximately on 1392Mb. If i tested just 1 module everything was fine even with short timings. Then i changed settings in BIOS for memory in "Auto". I installed program nTune and i was surprised - nTune showed 333MHz for memory bus instead 400MHz. And when i started MemTest it showed 321MHz. All errors disappeared. For some reason bios changed settings with 3 modules.

Reply 10 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All Athlon64 CPUs can't do 1T Command Rate with 2 dual rank modules in one memory channel and at the top speed.