VOGONS

First post, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have two of the aztecmonster SCSI to CF interfaces I purchased in 2015 for use in older macintosh computers. Long story short, I only used one and left the other in the static bag til last week when I finally got my hands on a Mac SE. Opened it up to use the 2nd adapter and the computer would not see the interface. Disconnected the SCSI cable, hooked it back and it was there, then it was gone again after the next reboot. Very inconsistent behavior. Since I had two adapters I could do some general troubleshooting and found out that the problem followed the adapter, and nailed it down to the BIOS flash chip itself. I could pull the winbond chip from the bad adapter and put it in the mac that has been working flawless for 3 years and it now would give me the blinking disk symbol, and the new adapter that wouldn't work consistently booted every single time. So this makes me feel pretty confident that the flash chip is bad or corrupt.

I have contacted the company I bought these from, but so far the exchange hasn't been encouraging that they even care, stating that this product is discontinued and thus no support. Since I have one working unit and one bad, can I buy a EEPROM programmer and read the good chip to a file and then write that to a new flash chip? Is it possible they have a read lock or something that would prevent this? I am unfamiliar with flashing chips other than through a DOS utility, so forgive me.

Better yet if someone wanted to charge a small amount to copy this for me so I don't have to purchase a programmer I would prefer that.

Thanks for your help with this

Attachments

Reply 1 of 15, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowlytech wrote:

can I buy a EEPROM programmer and read the good chip to a file and then write that to a new flash chip? Is it possible they have a read lock or something that would prevent this?

Yes and no.

That's a standard 512Kbit flash chip, you can read and write it w/o special tools, all you need is any PCI/AGP card or motherboard with PLCC32 socket that accepts 29x family flash chips (27x are generally EPROMs with different pinout) + program called "Uniflash".

Reply 2 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The TL866CS programmer can do what you want - just get with it a cheap DIP32->PLCC32 adapter socket.
It would help to state your country in case anyone can help you with that - but consider getting the programmer as it is handy to have.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 15, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the replies guys. Interesting I didn't think of being able to use a NIC to program a chip. I found a motherboard that has the PCLL32 socket for it's BIOS in my immediate parts, but if I pull the existing ROM how would I run a program to read the good chip to a file? I will go up to the attic and see if I can find a NIC. I am located in SE Oklahoma

Reply 5 of 15, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I hit a wall pretty quickly. Only card I could find was an AGP ATI Rage with that socket, however I don't have a single AGP motherboard to install it in. Only have one PII, and one PIII board and they both have integrated AGP video with only PCI slots. Guess I will start looking into programmers.

Attachments

• IMG_1189.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1189.JPG
    File size
    1.55 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 15, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So will this have everything I need to read the good chip and then burn it back to a blank EEPROM? Just checking before I order it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-MiniPro-TL866CS- … 8QAAOSww9xZJm~b

Also a quick ebay check for w29EE512-p doesn't come up with any good choices other than a 10 pack from china. What replacement chip could I use preferably in the USA.

Edit.. Forgot the link..

Reply 7 of 15, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does this look like a good chip that would be compatible to the winbond W29EE512-P?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Gr ... 2fOGPwo%3d

Reply 9 of 15, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowlytech wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys. Interesting I didn't think of being able to use a NIC to program a chip. I found a motherboard that has the PCLL32 socket for it's BIOS in my immediate parts, but if I pull the existing ROM how would I run a program to read the good chip to a file? I will go up to the attic and see if I can find a NIC. I am located in SE Oklahoma

Hot swap. It's a little risky but I had never failed one.
I would pry the BIOS chip out, gently put it on top of the socket, not insert it fully into the socket - just make sure the pins on the both sides make contact. Boot the board to DOS, pry the BIOS chip out, insert the chip with corrupted data or a new chip into the socket, and do the flash.

Reply 10 of 15, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
lowlytech wrote:

Hot swap. It's a little risky but I had never failed one.
I would pry the BIOS chip out, gently put it on top of the socket, not insert it fully into the socket - just make sure the pins on the both sides make contact. Boot the board to DOS, pry the BIOS chip out, insert the chip with corrupted data or a new chip into the socket, and do the flash.

He'd first have to read the good chip's contents though.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 11 of 15, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have an update. I opened up my older file server I used before switching to freenas last year as a last resort, and low and behold it had an intel nic with the PCLL32 socket. It also looks like my old server has a leaking CR2032 battery which is a first time I have ever seen that 😐 I got xunbuntu loaded up and got the 1.00 flashrom installed and it seemed to read my good flash chip without issue. However the file size is 65536 and nowhere near 512K. I assume flash is just like any other storage medium, you can have bigger than your file your trying to write? Just incase I read the chip twice, 2nd time with verbose enabled to make sure there were no issues and it did detect the chip as winbond W29E512.

After I got the flash file read, I shut down the system and for giggles thought I would put in the flash chip from the CF reader that has been giving me trouble. Flashrom would only give the error that No EEPROM/flash device found. I reseated the chip several times and just kept getting this same error. Guess it is safe to assume this chip is just bad somehow?

One last question for lazibayer or someone that is more familiar with flashrom. In a previous post I have a GLS29EE512 that I am going to order, however this specific flash type isn't listed on flashrom's supported chips. In the datasheet is seems like this chip use to be called an SST, but not anymore. Will this give me problems or do I need to find a different Flash chip to order to be able to write this file back?

Thanks again for all the input and suggestions, I never knew this flashrom program even existed.

Attachments

• IMG_1193.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1193.JPG
    File size
    1.37 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1196.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1196.JPG
    File size
    1.65 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 12 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hah leaking CR2032 batteries are a thing - I was surprised as well and I opened this thread some time ago: Have you opened your SC-55 to check the battery inside? , apparently several other people had leaking CR2032 batteries...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 15, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowlytech wrote:
Have an update. I opened up my older file server I used before switching to freenas last year as a last resort, and low and beh […]
Show full quote

Have an update. I opened up my older file server I used before switching to freenas last year as a last resort, and low and behold it had an intel nic with the PCLL32 socket. It also looks like my old server has a leaking CR2032 battery which is a first time I have ever seen that 😐 I got xunbuntu loaded up and got the 1.00 flashrom installed and it seemed to read my good flash chip without issue. However the file size is 65536 and nowhere near 512K. I assume flash is just like any other storage medium, you can have bigger than your file your trying to write? Just incase I read the chip twice, 2nd time with verbose enabled to make sure there were no issues and it did detect the chip as winbond W29E512.

After I got the flash file read, I shut down the system and for giggles thought I would put in the flash chip from the CF reader that has been giving me trouble. Flashrom would only give the error that No EEPROM/flash device found. I reseated the chip several times and just kept getting this same error. Guess it is safe to assume this chip is just bad somehow?

One last question for lazibayer or someone that is more familiar with flashrom. In a previous post I have a GLS29EE512 that I am going to order, however this specific flash type isn't listed on flashrom's supported chips. In the datasheet is seems like this chip use to be called an SST, but not anymore. Will this give me problems or do I need to find a different Flash chip to order to be able to write this file back?

Thanks again for all the input and suggestions, I never knew this flashrom program even existed.

The number "512" in the chip's model is measured in kilobits, so 512 kilobit = 65536 byte, no problem here.
Sounds like your bad chip is just ... too bad to be reformed. 🤣
I just checked the datasheets of GLS and SST chips and they both have the same chip id: BF5D, so it's quite possible that Flashrom will take the GLS chip as if it's an SST one.
Also you can try to reach the authors of Flashrom; they have been quite responsive and helpful to me over the years.

Reply 14 of 15, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quick update. I found a source for atmel 64x8 chips that were on the supported chip list of flashrom. I was able to write this new chip and it is working great so far in my aztecmonster. Have had it on for about 6 hours and done about 2 dozen power cycles and it has worked every time. Thanks so much for all the help, and lazibayer, thank you for making me aware of flashrom.

Reply 15 of 15, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowlytech wrote:

Quick update. I found a source for atmel 64x8 chips that were on the supported chip list of flashrom. I was able to write this new chip and it is working great so far in my aztecmonster. Have had it on for about 6 hours and done about 2 dozen power cycles and it has worked every time. Thanks so much for all the help, and lazibayer, thank you for making me aware of flashrom.

Glad to hear that it worked out for you! 😁