VOGONS

First post, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm looking for the fastest storage way for my Asus P5A. I'd like to see really quick boot into Windows 95, but i do not know what options are exist. I see many retro users installing windows into a CF memory card, some are onto a SD card, but come on, they are slow, just 20-30MB/sec.
So in my theory i would insert ssd into the PCI slot, but i find only PCI-e adapters. And if a PCI to SSD adapter is exist, would it work as primary drive? How could it be setup?

My high end of '96 gaming machine;
Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...

Reply 1 of 13, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, those do not exist. I believe the quicker seek/access time of CF compared to HDDs make up for the low MB/s.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 3 of 13, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

there is no PCI SSD. Also, PCIe SSDs only work as bootdrives if the motherboard supports the NVME Protocol. That was a huge issue with AM3 boards, pretty much none of them support it.

The best you could do is attach an SATA SSD on a PCI SATA controller (and hope they work together). That SSD would then be able to saturate the entire PCI bus and you would still only get less then a quarter of its peak performance.

BTW, it is not the trasnfer speed that makes SSDs desirable in daily use, it is the massively reduced seek times that offer the main benefit. You already have that with CF or SD cards.

Reply 4 of 13, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NVMe support in Legacy BIOS : Clover or DUET + rEFInd.
NVMe support in older UEFI (before Z97 for Intel) : [urk=https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-How-to … -UEFI-BIOS.html]LINK[/url]

157143230295.png

Reply 5 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Get a Promise S150 (TX2 or TX4) RAID PCI SATA controller and you will be set to use with an SSD.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 13, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I like this Promise 150 adapter, it says in a 33MHz PCI bus can do 133MB/sec speed, in 66MHz PCI 266MB/sec. I think i have the slower PCI in Asus P5A, but that would be still decent improvement from ~30MB/sec. Question is if Windows 95 OSR2 could be installed on it? Some info on internet says minimum Windows 98, other info minimum Windows XP.

So If It would not be compatible with Windows 95 and i would go with CF or SD card adapter, which adapter would be the fastest, which may could use the full 33MB/sec ATA speed? I see plenty adapters are exist, some crappy, some little better, so really dificult to find the fastest one, if exist. Also if i would buy high end SD card, not a 90MB/sec, but a 300MB/sec is the seek time would further improve?

Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...

Reply 8 of 13, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I m reading there can be trouble with PCI IDE cards, since they using the same resources, like GPU, sound blaster, etc.
Or if i just buy a PATA SSD?
https://www.amazon.com/KingSpec-2-5-inch-Soli … KKWXD22ZPDMPWYC

Reply 9 of 13, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there a reason why you don't want to use a SATA SSD? I have bought a cheap 16GB SSD SATA drive and used a SATA/IDE converter to connect the SATA SSD to the motherboard's onboard IDE controller. It worked really well.

Reply 10 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Atom Ant wrote:

I like this Promise 150 adapter, it says in a 33MHz PCI bus can do 133MB/sec speed, in 66MHz PCI 266MB/sec. I think i have the slower PCI in Asus P5A, but that would be still decent improvement from ~30MB/sec. Question is if Windows 95 OSR2 could be installed on it? Some info on internet says minimum Windows 98, other info minimum Windows XP.

So If It would not be compatible with Windows 95 and i would go with CF or SD card adapter, which adapter would be the fastest, which may could use the full 33MB/sec ATA speed? I see plenty adapters are exist, some crappy, some little better, so really dificult to find the fastest one, if exist. Also if i would buy high end SD card, not a 90MB/sec, but a 300MB/sec is the seek time would further improve?

The Promise S150 SATA 1 controllers have Windows 98 drivers.
See here for drivers... look under legacy->SATA->SATA150->whatever
https://promise.com/us/Support

They also made a SATA II 150 controller that has XP as the minimum.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 13, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is Windows 98 driver, but I will use Windows 95. I'm unsure if Win98 driver could be used on Win95. But I will save this option for my Windows 98 system with Pentium II overdrive. So thanks anyway!

Malvineous:
Yes, probably I will go with that option, with this adapter;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SZDOM6/ … BMLJPZ2AL&psc=1
It has master/slave jumper. Hovewer i will be limited to ATA-33 speed, but a Pentium 233MHz MMX, maybe could not use any higher speed even from a PCI SATA drive.

Update:
So anyway, i have purchased also an a The Promise FastTrak S150 TX2plus controller and I ll see if work and which one will work faster...

Reply 12 of 13, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What do you intend to do with the machine? Windows 95 with 33MB/sec read/write speed will be about as fast as it can be. The real slowdown with hard drives is the latency, so CF/SD/SSD will all solve that problem.

Win95 doesn't read from the disk enough to really benefit from anything faster than 33MB/sec. If your system has a working HDD LED, watch it when you boot up. It rarely stays solidly lit and generally tends to flicker with long gaps in between while hardware is initialised. All the time the LED is off, the system is waiting on something else to happen, so a faster disk will not speed up that LED-off time at all, because the disk is not being used during those delays.

Make sure your drivers support DMA as well (and you actually go in and turn it on), otherwise you'll be limited to PIO's (at best) 16MB/sec with very high CPU usage too.

Reply 13 of 13, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PCI SATA controller seems overkill. I would definitely go with the pata ssd, although keep in mind most of those are 44pin you will likely need a 40pin to 44pin adapter. You can find 16gb 40 pin DOM modules that won’t break the bank but I doubt these are even capable of maxing out the ide spec.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!