VOGONS

First post, by Asdfguy86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone. I have a Dell Optiplex GX110 (full tower, NOT the small form factor variant) computer that I want to upgrade it to be the best system it can be. If anyone wonders, originally I got it from a dump and according to a sticker on it, it came from a school.
Currently, its specs are:
Intel Pentium 3 533MHz (slot 1)
512MB PC133 SDRAM
ATi Rage IIC PCI
Sound Blaster PCI128
80GB Western Digital HDD

I think I could upgrade the CPU further by getting a socket 370 to slot 1 adapter, would that work?
Another thing I am thinking of doing is 'upgrading' the pci riser to a 5 PCI/4 ISA bridge for more expansion capability.

Anything I should/shouldn't do?

Reply 1 of 9, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Asdfguy86 wrote:

I think I could upgrade the CPU further by getting a socket 370 to slot 1 adapter, would that work?

Yes. It should at least support Coppermines. With the right type of adapter you might be able to put tualatin on it.

Asdfguy86 wrote:

Another thing I am thinking of doing is 'upgrading' the pci riser to a 5 PCI/4 ISA bridge for more expansion capability.

Good idea.

Asdfguy86 wrote:

Anything I should/shouldn't do?

Get rid of that video card! Don't know why it was there in the first place. It should be slower than the integrated GPU.
Dream big and aim for Voodoo5 PCI!
Also consider PCI-SATA + SSD.

Reply 2 of 9, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since onboard gfx uses AGP, you have to settle for a PCI card. Maybe a PCI NVIDIA Quadro NVS 280, has 9x and NT4 drivers too. Make sure you have at least 256MB RAM. Upgrade to the latest BIOS before installing a Slocket. But yeah, a Slocket should work; as long as you use 100MHz FSB CPUs (so Coppermine Celerons most likely)

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 3 of 9, by Asdfguy86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Get rid of that video card!

Will do!

Make sure you have at least 256MB RAM. Upgrade to the latest BIOS before installing a Slocket.

The system is maxed at 512 Megs and is running the latest BIOS I know of (A09) so I think that's good.

a Slocket should work; as long as you use 100MHz FSB CPUs

Hmm..in the BIOS it tells me that the current CPU uses a 133MHz FSB...would 100MHz Coppermines work?

Reply 4 of 9, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Asdfguy86 wrote:

I could've sworn the GX110 used Socket 370 and the GX1 was the newest Optiplex to use Slot 1, are you sure it's not a GX1 in a GX110 case?

What I'd do with that system depends on what I wanted to use it for, if 9x-era games are your target, I'd look into upgrading the video card, sound card, and maybe the CPU if possible.

My suggestions for a PCI video card: 3dfx Voodoo3, nVidia RIVA TNT2 or Geforce 2/4MX, ATI Rage 128 or Radeon (up to 9250), or a Matrox G450.

My suggestions for a sound card: Aureal Vortex 2, Yamaha YMF7x4, Sound Blaster Live! (avoid OEM models), or a Sound Blaster Audigy (either 1 or 2 ZS).

Reply 6 of 9, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

I could've sworn the GX110 used Socket 370 and the GX1 was the newest Optiplex to use Slot 1, are you sure it's not a GX1 in a GX110 case?

There are GX110s with Slots. GX1 uses 440BX chipset and won't let you go over 100MHz FSB, and the OP's P3 runs at 133MHz.

Reply 7 of 9, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

There are GX110s with Slots. GX1 uses 440BX chipset and won't let you go over 100MHz FSB, and the OP's P3 runs at 133MHz.

I looked up the service manual and motherboard pictures just now, and it seems that you're right. It's just that I've never seen a GX110 with Slot 1 before (every GX110 I've seen was a Socket 370 model), never would've thought Dell would use two different CPU socket revisions in one computer model, you learn something new every day.

Reply 8 of 9, by Asdfguy86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
I could've sworn the GX110 used Socket 370 and the GX1 was the newest Optiplex to use Slot 1, are you sure it's not a GX1 in a G […]
Show full quote
Asdfguy86 wrote:

What I'd do with that system depends on what I wanted to use it for, if 9x-era games are your target, I'd look into upgrading the video card, sound card, and maybe the CPU if possible.

My suggestions for a PCI video card: 3dfx Voodoo3, nVidia RIVA TNT2 or Geforce 2/4MX, ATI Rage 128 or Radeon (up to 9250), or a Matrox G450.

My suggestions for a sound card: Aureal Vortex 2, Yamaha YMF7x4, Sound Blaster Live! (avoid OEM models), or a Sound Blaster Audigy (either 1 or 2 ZS).

Slot 1 indeed! I am pretty sure the Socket 370 model ones are more common, and if I can't find a suitable adapter I may end up swapping the board with a Socket 370 variant. For expansion cards I'll try going for a Voodoo 3 and a Sound Blaster Audigy. It IS a GX110 as the BIOS reports it as a GX110, and I don't know if GX1s support Pentium 3 CPUs.