VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I am having trouble removing this permanent marker from a white computer case.

I bought this computer used and it had someone's name written on it.

I was able to get some of it off, but as you can see, some still remains.

So far, I have tried: rubbing alcohol, bleach, a magic eraser, and water mixed with baking soda. Nothing seems to touch the remaining marker.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Attachments

• caseink.jpg
    Filename
    caseink.jpg
    File size
    225 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 24, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, it sounds like you have used everything I have in the past with magic eraser being the most successful. I have a few cases where the magic eraser started taking the top coat of paint off where you could see a sheen change. Might try goof off as a last resort, but that will probably try to take the paint with it.

Reply 2 of 24, by Flakchak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you try using more permanent marker?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMdkhEvxkFU

Searching for a Packard Bell 15" CRT Monitor - 1511SL or 1512SL

Reply 3 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try a gritty type toothpaste, a small amount of water and a toothbrush.

Not sure if that will remove it from plastic, but it works wonders for wood, furniture, etc.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 24, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can also try rubbing it off with the rough side of a dry/wet sponge. I had some good results removing residue and ballpoint pen writings on metal and plastic cases with that method, although it atmittedly sound a little bit destructive at first.

Reply 5 of 24, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would try a dry erase marker next. I've had good success with writing over the letters with a lot of dry erase, and then cleaning it off.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 6 of 24, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This one requires special tools. Like a kitchen sponge for non-stick surfaces, slightly wet so that it's not dripping, nor fraying either. 🤣 Seriously now, just try one of those.

Last edited by konc on 2018-03-18, 20:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 24, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

70% or higher alcohol. Rubbing alcohol likely isn't strong enough to dissolve the marker. You can also try imbibing a piece of cloth with alcohol and leaving it sit on top of the affected area for a while...

Reply 8 of 24, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try an orange or citrus-oil based cleaner, applied using a toothbrush or magic eraser. I think the brand in the US is called 'Goo Gone'? https://googone.com/products/original/ but here in Oz I use 'Orange Power' for permanent marker and sticker residue. If it's the same stuff, be careful as it will also remove stickers or screen-printed logos (as my Gateway 20 desktop can attest to), and may also melt some plastics.

Reply 9 of 24, by r.cade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've run into that- if it's a porous plastic surface and it's been there a lot of years, it will be down in the plastic where you can't clean it off without taking the layers of plastic with it.

Or is that painted metal? If so, you may just have to repaint if it bothers you.

Reply 10 of 24, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JidaiGeki wrote:

Try an orange or citrus-oil based cleaner, applied using a toothbrush or magic eraser. I think the brand in the US is called 'Goo Gone'? https://googone.com/products/original/ but here in Oz I use 'Orange Power' for permanent marker and sticker residue. If it's the same stuff, be careful as it will also remove stickers or screen-printed logos (as my Gateway 20 desktop can attest to), and may also melt some plastics.

Very good suggestion! I use one that has proven quite successful for me called De-Solv-It. I've got a few bottles of the stuff since I never wanted to run out of it!

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 11 of 24, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it is painted metal. It's on the top of the computer case.

I just tried the toothpaste method. It's baking soda and peroxide toothpaste. It is working, but slowly. The marker is now about half as noticeable as before, but you can still see it. I will try another round of scrubbing with the toothpaste and hope for the best. It may just take multiple attempts.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Reply 12 of 24, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fitzpatr wrote:

I would try a dry erase marker next. I've had good success with writing over the letters with a lot of dry erase, and then cleaning it off.

This was to be my suggestion but I was beaten to it. It *might* be less successful now simply by having tried all the other methods first, though.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 13 of 24, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

WD40, yeah I know, sounds strange but it works in some instances.

Acetone (nail polish remover), but try on a part of the case you can't see to make sure it doesn't damage the finish.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 14 of 24, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Too bad it doesn't also have J. Oates' signature on it. 😁

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 15 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There is this guy on youtube that has all kinds of "life hacks". He might help you. Especially as the things always explode 😉
(Can't find a link now)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was under the impression that isopropyl alcohol was effective at removing permanent marker. However, I am not sure how it would react with the paint or plastic.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 18 of 24, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlaricD wrote:

Too bad it doesn't also have J. Oates' signature on it. 😁

I Can't Go For That.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 19 of 24, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I was under the impression that isopropyl alcohol was effective at removing permanent marker. However, I am not sure how it would react with the paint or plastic.

Isopropyl and lots of scrubbing worked when I got a CRT monitor that someone had writen on with a permanent marker. Not sure if the type of material matters or if there are different permanent markers.