VOGONS

First post, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

has anyone been able to upgrade Very old motherboards with Intel i486 Overdrive CPUs?

i have one of these.
showimage.jpg

Core Frequency: 100 MHz
Board Frequency: 33 MHz
Clock Multiplier: 3.0
Data bus (ext.): 32 Bit
Address bus: 32 Bit
Voltage: 5 V
Introduced: 10/1994
Manufactured: week 04/1995
L1 Cache: 16 KB
CPU Code: i486 DPR
P4T

Intel S-Spec: SZ959
Package Type: Ceramic
PGA-168

but i have a fic motherboard that does not have that cpu listed because the cpu was released time after

486-GVT-2 Motherboard Settings and Configuration

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/F/FI … -486-GVT-2.html

it has a jumper setting for:

CPU clock 1X
JX1 pins 1 & 2 closed

CPU clock 2X JX1 pins 2 & 3 closed

so the cpu has a clock multiplier of 3x and the motherboard as clock multiplier of 1x or 2x.
and the P4T model is not listed as option in the manual, so i wonder how can i use that cpu and set it up correctly to have the full 100Mhz, the cpu is 5v thats good as the motherbiard

Reply 1 of 8, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe you only have to set the multiplier to 1x. I seem to recall that those were specifically designed to upgrade old systems where regular DX/2 or DX/4 won't work and which have only 5V as the CPU voltage. I believe the CPU multiplier is fixed internally.

Fun fact, it is actually 3.3V CPU but because of its purpose as an upgrade it comes with an integrated 5V to 3.3V voltage regulator (It's that black device on the top partially hidden by the heatsink).

Reply 2 of 8, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i will try tonight with 1x but i have my doubts
it runs way hot the black thing burns your finger

what i found strange is that on other motherboards like pcchips i set it at 3x and detected 100mhz correctly..did not try 2x or 1x on pcchips

Reply 3 of 8, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a small heatsink withut a fan... HOT, so maybe you can add a small fan if you're worried.
The multiplier seems to be locked at 3x so you may only be able to control cpu- via fsb-speed.

Reply 4 of 8, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this overdrive thing is great, the i486 overdrive 100
works right away with the old motherboard detecting it at 100mhz using the 486 dx2 66mhz jumper setting.
i also have a trident VLB videocard.

Some thing i notice, 100mhz is not enough, this motherboard has 256k real cache. And i did notice some slowdowns on doom, specially on big rooms, while on corridors the speed is faster.

i dont remember that happening with a AMDx5 133mhz.
i also need to find out how to make it compatible with an AMD X5 133mhz , the cpu has 4x multiplier, but the manual is so old that there is no info about newer cpus

Reply 5 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The AMD 5x86 is a 3.3V CPU, which your motherboard does not support. I think that Evergreen technologies released a 5V version of the CPU but, all they did was to add a voltage regulator in between (similar to what you now have with your Overdrive CPU).
Chances are that your motherboard won't recognise the AMD 5x86, since the BIOS must support it.

You can try to overclock the 486DX4 100 MHz to 120 MHz by setting the FSB to 40 MHz but I would then definitely add a fan on top of the heatsink.
You will then also have to set the VLB jumpers accordingly for >33 MHz operation (this essentially applies a wait state for stability reasons).

Personally, I would leave the CPU stock standard - you risk damaging your CPU.and these CPU's are becoming more scarce.
If Doom runs too slow, use a faster PC or, try a faster VLB graphics card.

Last edited by jesolo on 2018-03-20, 20:15. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 6 of 8, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doom is demanding,
if you want more speed you will have to raise the front side bus above 33mhz.
The Am5x86 would most likely be recognized as a DX4 which interprets the 2x multiplier as 4x BUT you would need an interposer or an update processor(e.g. by Evergreen/TI/etc.), which already contains one, to get the appropriate 3.xV voltage.

Reply 7 of 8, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
amadeus777999 wrote:

Doom is demanding,
if you want more speed you will have to raise the front side bus above 33mhz.
The Am5x86 would most likely be recognized as a DX4 which interprets the 2x multiplier as 4x BUT you would need an interposer or an update processor(e.g. by Evergreen/TI/etc.), which already contains one, to get the appropriate 3.xV voltage.

Member Vegge just posted his new Evergreen AMD 5x86 133Mhz in the recently bought this and that thread. I find the Evergreen upgrade a great option and very compatible! It usually is recognized as a "486 DX2 @ 133 MHz" in older 5V only motherboards and can be set to run both 3x or 4x multiplier without motherboard support.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8 of 8, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pabloz wrote:

i also have a trident VLB videocard.

Perhaps upgrading this for a proper video card has more effect than a faster CPU.
I recall back in the day when we had 486DX2-66 systems, that the video card had quite an impact on how smoothly DOOM ran.
A fast VLB card, especially if it can run at zero-waitstate, could make all the difference.
Those Trident VLB cards are barely faster than a decent ISA card, which will bottleneck your game.
You may want to look at an ET4000 or CL542x VLB card, those are fast.

Back in the day, my 486DX2-66 with 0 ws CL5426 VLB card even ran smoother than a friend's new Pentium 60 with some early PCI video card.
Once he upgraded to a Diamond Stealth video card, his system was finally faster than mine.
CPU isn't everything.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/