VOGONS

First post, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ATM I'm testing a lot of builds to see how they perform. Recently I was very impressed by the performance of my Intel WS440BX motherboard (from an old Gateway computer), Windows98 literally boots in 5 seconds with an SSD, and is very snappy with a PIII 650mhz and 128mb of RAM.

Yesterday I tried the same Windows98 install on a Via Apollo Pro 133A-based motherboard (Asus P3V-4X), with a beefier CPU (pIII 933mhz) and more RAM (256mb). Surprisingly, it seemed slower. I didnt tried any game or benchmark, but in overall it took more time to install, was slower to boot and seemed a bit more clunky when it comes to peripherals like USB key detection.

I admit I didn't messed up much with with BIOS settings, most things are set to defaults on both motherboards. 440BX didnt required any drivers while VIA required its "4-in-1" driver.

Is it possible that the 440BX chipset, despite its 100mhz fsb, is more optimized to the point of being faster than the Via chipset which uses 133mhz fsb ? Would you suggest me a benchmark to put values on those feelings and check if something is wrong ?

Reply 1 of 8, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You just discovered the reason the BX chipset was so immensely popular way after its "best before" date. When it came out it was the fastes most stable chipset to date and it kept the lead pretty much even over most succeeding intel chipsets.

Via chipsets are significantly better than their reputation, but they never were the faster option, not to speak of reliability. Their advantages were always the increased flexibility and that they were cheaper. They were never faster.

BTW, it is that flexibility, why I actually prefer via chipsets, but they will never be the fastest option.

Reply 2 of 8, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seconded. The BX was a speed demon and rock solid stable. It was a shame intel took so long on the 815E and crippled it to make RAMBUS look more appealing. An official 440BX-133 chipset with a 1/2 AGP divider and UltraATA-66 would have been fantastic.

Here's an old Anandtech article from 1999 comparing the 440BX and Apollo Pro 133 (not A) that shows the BX at 100 FSB beating the Apollo Pro at both 100 and 133 FSB settings in a mix of business and gaming benchmarks: https://www.anandtech.com/show/359/9

Reply 3 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC, my P3 1GHz coppermine with 100MHz FSB had a better score on my Abit BH6 (i440BX chipset) under 3Dmark 99 than my P3 1GHz with 133MHz FSB on a mobo with VIA chipset

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VIA Apollo 133A usually requires some tweaking like bank interleaving for good results. So it's not best performer in DOS.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 8, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

VIA Apollo 133A usually requires some tweaking like bank interleaving for good results. So it's not best performer in DOS.

I remember bank interleaving and in order queue depth. Some boards have these options in BIOS but others rely on tools like wpcredit.

Reply 6 of 8, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was the 133T better than the 133A? Before I got my DDR-based Tualatin system, I used a TUV4X with the 133T chipset. It wasn't bad at all!

Speed seemed to be right where it should have been. ATA hard drive performance was just fine using XP's built in chipset driver. There was no crackling/popping audio with an SB X-Fi. And it took a hell of a lot more RAM than the BX and 815.

The all important memory performance was A-OK; right up there with i815 at the same bus speed.

U48ONWt.png

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 7 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

133T is actually my go-to chipset for 133MHz Coppermine and Tualatin, it's pretty damn good in my book. As for 100MHz Coppermine and earlier, that's where the BX reigns supreme.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VIA Apollo Pro 266 still would be better, but without ISA or official Tualatin support on desktop boards.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.