VOGONS

issue with Pentium III 1.4

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I finally got a Pentium III 1.4 but now I've got issues.

When installed it boots fine, detects fine as a 1400 and has 1.45V no issues, it boots to HDD then nothing it just freezes
I tried with the Windows boot CD same issue it boots to CD then freezes

I can make both issues vanish if i run it at 1050mhz or 100x10.5 but wait theirs more

My previous chip a PIII 800EB does just fine @ 133x6 no issues it just goes

Do I have a bad CPU, cause that would really stink, whats the safe voltage for a tutain S

Reply 1 of 21, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What motherboard are you using? and are you sure it's supposed to be compatible with your CPU?

The two possible issues that pop into my mind are either CPU incompatibility or overheating, also, 1.475V might be worth trying since some Tualatin CPUs run at that voltage specification.

Reply 5 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bad caps or a flaky power supply is my guess.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 21, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

I'll try a new psu, recapping will have to wait

i don't know if P3 is hogging the +5v(that new psu's are weak) rail but my experience with athlon xp's with modern atx's psu was terrible.

Reply 10 of 21, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

tested psu, no go, still stuck above 100mhz FSB with the Tully, the coppermine is fine at 133. I found however a D815EEA2 for 20 bucks with free shipping, that they tested with a 1400-S, I jumped on that, it has the 815EP chipset anyway so better drivers and speed vs my Apollo PRo 133T, and the 512mb ram limit means nothing when i'm using Windows 98 on it

Reply 11 of 21, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If i would generalize (and obviously I will).

Sudden freeze during POST with a supported CPU (or a non supported CPU that is working when running at a lower FSB): Motherboard issues.
Sudden resets during POST: CPU or memory. Sometimes PSU too weak or failing PSU/motherboard caps.
Lots of exiting artifacts during post with a known to be working (in that motherboard) video card, than freeze: CPU or memory.
Sudden freeze when the (non DOS) OS starts loading: Motherboard issues.
Sudden reset when the (non DOS) OS starts loading: Failing motherboard/PSU caps or instability because of overclocking something.
No POST in the first try but working after beeing reset: Failing motherboard/PSU caps.
Blue screens in Windows 9x not related to your new PnP scanner: Mostly memory issues.
Sudden freeze in Win9x then the system is working in slowmotion just to freeze up totally after a minute: CPU not stable, because of non stable overclock or because of failing motherboard/PSU caps.
Sudden reset in Win9x: Pretty much always too little V-core, could be because overclocking too high or motherboard/PSU caps. I find the freeze --> slowmotion --> freeze more common in Win9x.
No POST (with a correctly configured system): Could be anything but the first thing I try is another PSU.

The above is of course not always true but how I think when it comes to what I going to try first when I try to solve the problem.

If your CPU is faulty it can pretty much only be because of marginal internal L1 or L2 cache working at 1050 MHz but not 1400 MHz. I find this kind of unlikely and it should most often result in repeated resets during POST if POSTing at all, not a freeze during POST in my experience.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 12 of 21, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your original motherboard probably had marginal capacitors. The first QDI Advance 12T I used back in 2002-2007 actually developed the same issue during its last six months of service. I ran a PIII-S @ 1575MHz for years in that thing. Then it started having trouble POSTing with the PIII-S, even at 1400MHz. I had to downlock it to 1050 to get it to work properly. Strangely, that board worked just fine with a PIII-1200 (Tualatin-256), even when overclocked to 1.35GHz. ESRs were way out of spec, but at the time I was not confident in my ability to replace capacitors.

Fast forward to 2015. I finally find another QDI Advance 12T, which I gladly overpay for. My "new" Advance 12T is running that same old PIII-S chip from 2002 at a rock solid 1575MHz. Hopefully for years to come.

The obvious point of my anecdote: if you're interested in reviving that board or selling it, check the caps. That's likely where you'll find the problem. The TUV4X should work just fine with a PIII-S; I still have one and it runs that CPU stable at up to FSB-152 (1596MHz).

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 13 of 21, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I have a co worker who wants the TUV4X board, it was always a little flaky, random lock ups, random USB failures. I tested my PSU i was using, its a Dell P4 250W with 24A on the 5v which should be fine and according to the meter its still within spec, plus they did overbuild those things.

I did remove everything not needed to test as well. Final config to see if its a power issue

PIII-S 1400 @ 1400 L2 and L1 disabled
1x64mb PC133 stick
ATI Rage IIC AGP
3.5 Floppy drive with a Windows 98 Bootdisk

Still locks up booting that boot disk.

But I'll be happy with the intel board, the VIA chipset gave issues with AGP anyway, had to find a very specific 4in1 with a GART regedit to get my FX5900 to work

Reply 14 of 21, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

do on the D815EEA2 it doesn't post at all with the Pentium III 1.4, bios tested P13, P15 and P21 no post. Posts fine with Pentium III 800

Reply 15 of 21, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
candle_86 wrote:

do on the D815EEA2 it doesn't post at all with the Pentium III 1.4, bios tested P13, P15 and P21 no post. Posts fine with Pentium III 800

Well then I will have to guess that the CPU might not be able to do 1.4 GHz any more.

I still find it very strange but it isn't unheard of that CPUs lose stability at frequencies they were once stable at if driven hard and running hot for extended periods of time. It's really rare that an Intel CPU loses stability at the stock frequency as Intel always had good marginals but perhaps this CPU was working in aweful conditions for 10- 15 years...

I have a VERY abused P4 3066 that suffers from this, in most motherboards it will reset as soon as it starts to load an OS. In a few other motherboards it still runs fine at stock speed but wont overclock much at all. Before beeing tortured the CPU did 3.6+ GHz bench stable.

At least you have a nice motherboard for the next Tualatin 1.4 you happen to find. Perhaps you can get some money back for the half dead CPU, now you have at least tried everything.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 16 of 21, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One last try grabbed a Tully 1.26 from fleabay for 5.99 free shipping I'll test that, if it works the seller of the 1.4 will replace the 1.4 and I'll have a spare 1.26 512k chip

Reply 17 of 21, by TOBOR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote:

The intel boards that are D815EEA2 U are compatible with the 1400 Tualatin. U equals UNIVERSAL.

If the truth hurts, tough shit.

Reply 18 of 21, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No U printed on the board, but seller stated its compatible, and intel doesn't say there are 2 versions of this board on their site. So the board better work with a Tully or both the seller and intel are gonna get an earful, neither are clear.

But looking there is no U listed, and I just went onto ebay to inform the seller I will not pay their 20% restocking fee and they will take the motherboard back, at least its ebay and I have seller protection meaning they can't actually charge me a 20% restocking fee if I dont want one.

Ironic as well, Intel on the bios page for this board lists out adds support for 1.2 celeron, add support for 1.4 celeron.

Reply 19 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The D815EEA2 is an existing board and should have Tualatin support. I can't guarantee if it supports all of them, Intel had a habit of locking out some of their own CPUs to force their customers to upgrade earlier, even though the CPUs will work correctly with the boards after having messed with the BIOS (like using an older BIOS file).

I've used 2 D815EEA (without the "2") and these only supported Coppermines.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!