VOGONS

First post, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are they gold or tin plated?

I recently took in a poor old Socket 7 motherboard (Which posted fine and booted into dos) but the cpu was stuck in the socket. After prying it out I noticed I can hear a crusty crunching noise when I operate the zif lever.

I noticed the rest of the board has some rust and corrosion like maybe it was used on a boat or something.

Is it worth blasting out the socket with IPA/Deoxit or should I just buy a new AMP socket on ebay and try my hand at replacing it (Never done this before so a little hesitant.)

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 3, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try disassembling the socket by gently prying at the sides so you can get access to the internals and clean whatever crud is hiding in there.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 2 of 3, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
133MHz wrote:

Try disassembling the socket by gently prying at the sides so you can get access to the internals and clean whatever crud is hiding in there.

Do you know how to remove the upper socket? Does the arm need to come out first like on AM2/3? I tried googling but I only find stuff for DIP ZIFF sockets.

Reply 3 of 3, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kingcake wrote:
133MHz wrote:

Do you know how to remove the upper socket? Does the arm need to come out first like on AM2/3? I tried googling but I only find stuff for DIP ZIFF sockets.

I used a flatbed screwdriver to gentry push some of those (this is hard to explain, mind you?) extrusions to the side by maybe just a millimeter or a bit more.
It's easy to break, so I practiced on a donor board at first.

I tried this due to wanting to replace a broken socket lever and I succeeded. I did end up breaking one of the CPU sockets, but thankfully it was my practice board.

The top part that moves across the bottom part is kinda clicked into position and can slide across the bottom part in one direction.

But anyway, even if it's corroded inside the CPU socket, how are you gonna clean it up?
Perhaps an option could be to reinsert a spare CPU a couple of times to remove any oxidation by friction that way?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!