VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all, i have this board and looks in mint condition. The cache chips are ISSI 512k (4 chips) and the tag is 256k other brand.

when i boot, in the boot screen box it detects cpu Am486DX4 (not sure why since my cpu is Intel dx4 100mhz) clock 100mhz, 32mb of ram and 256K of cache

so far so good, but when i run cachechk utility i always get a message after some time saying i only have 8kb cache.

This machine seems to have one cache! (read)
Cache is 8 KB
main memory speed
effective ram access time
cache enabled.

i first thought the cache was fake, that i needed to replace it, but i never saw fake ISSI cache besides the letters on it appeared real. So i changed everything all cacke and placed 256k cache from other known brand, placed cache to the right most side of the board because chip are smaller than 512k
replaced the tag ram, changed jumper and got 128k. Then runned cachechk utility and again...says i have 8K cache.

so far i have no clue of whats going on, i think the cache im using is good and real. and the jumpers i used for cache are the propper ones.

https://www.rom.by/files/4dps0210.pdf

Does anyone have this board? i cannot figure out why cachechk says i got cache and its 8K only.
I also tried it with 1 ram stick of 16mb and no luck same cache

RUNNED 3DBENCH WITH A BUNCH OF PCI CARDS, DIAMOND STEALTH 2000, CIRRUS LOGIC PCI , ATI MATCH64 PCI AND 3DBENCH ALWAYS GAVE ME A SCORE OF 41.6 I BELIVE that was the score. which i thought was low for a dx4 100 and a PCI card

Reply 2 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well it does seem that only 8kb are recognized - see the ms jump from 11->42 after the 8KB mark
Check your motherboard, maybe there is a broken trace somewhere

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 14, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 8K is the L1 cache on the cpu. There are multiple options for your chips not getting recognized... wrong configuration, faulty chips, timing issues for example.
Maybe one of the sockets connections(or as already mentoned traces) is faulty albeit it's strange that the BIOS shows the cache size but speedsys doesn't recognize it. The only chance this can happen is when the L2 speed is too close to main mem speed which doesn't seem to be the case here.
Start speedsys and take a look at the diagram it plots.

Reply 4 of 14, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if the BIOS only reports the value set by the jumpers without doing actual testing on the cache. What if you pull out the cache chips or the tag chip but keep the same jumper setting? Will it still report 256K cache?

Reply 5 of 14, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What are the values you are using for DRAM and cache timings in the BIOS? I have a PCChips M921 board that doesn't detect L2 cache when using the default slow cache timings that are set by the BIOS Chipset auto configuration. I need to manually set it to a faster value such as 2-1-1 or else it is too close to DRAM speed like amadeus777999 said.

Reply 8 of 14, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your cache policy is in write back mode but tag ram is set to 8bit. Usually 8bit is for write thru and 7bit is for write back.
Also can you verify if your CPU supports write back mode?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_DX4

Reply 9 of 14, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only 16kb L1 cache 486 Intel supports WB - like SK096. But I doubt this would have any effect on L2.

Double check the jumpers for cache.

What happens if you disable L2 cache in BIOS? What does System config reports at boot?

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 10 of 14, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cga.8086 wrote:

OK guys here is a full set of photos, from bios, bootscreen and speedsys
if anyone got any advice i appreciate, this cache not being detected is strange to me

I don't think you mentioned anything about it, but what speed are your cache chips? 15ns? 20ns?

Anyway, you can try the following:

• Double check cache jumpers as kixs said, if in doubt you can post a picture
  • In the CHIPSET FEATURES SETUP section of the BIOS, change Auto Configuration to Disabled
  • Set Cache Burst Read Cycle to 1CCLK
  • Set L2 Cache Tag Bits to 7 bits

Reply 12 of 14, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cga.8086 wrote on 2018-03-23, 11:39:
it works!!! i have changed those bios settings and ALso changed the cpu and also the jumpers to an amd x5 133 […]
Show full quote

it works!!!
i have changed those bios settings and ALso changed the cpu and also the jumpers to an amd x5 133

cache detected
runs like butter

Any chance you can share your jumper settings? Recently picked up a 4DPS and cachechk isn’t finding any L2 cache.

Disabling L2 cache has no performance impact on Quake. I’ve tried swapping in known good cache chips. BIOS says 256k on boot. I’ve triple checked jumpers.