VOGONS

First post, by Muppets4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just bought an old PC from someone. It was a gamble, since there was no information about the PC. Just 'a computercase'. I saw a 5 din keyboard connection on the back side, so I took the gamble. Today it arrived. Nice old case, with turbo button (:

Just connected it, but the PSU was dead. A brand new one with an ATX to AT converter worked. And.....

It's a socket 7 motherboard. Pentium I class. I did not yet remove the heatsink and the bios gives me no info at all about it. It is complaining about a dead CMOS battery that needs to be replaced. I can't get any furhter then post and the bios. My guess it needs a full battery to do that?

I have a nice collection of spare CRC2032 batterys, but it's not that simple. Where is the battery?

Anyone know where to look on a Biostar MB-8500TAC-a version 6 moetherboard?

Reply 1 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Above the ISA slots there is an ODIN (or DALLAS) IC left of the BIOS IC. The battery is inside that IC, it needs either replacing or doing the CR-2032 mod like this:
https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/200 … attery-chip.htm
or this : http://www.amoretro.de/guides-workshops/dalla … ul-modifizieren

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 5, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Muppets4 wrote:

That seems doable. Thanks. Do you have any idea if this will be the reason I can't get any further then post?

Usually it will only ask for you to press a key to continue booting.

Reply 4 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

no idea about this specific mobo - but mobos acting really weird with a dead cmos battery isn't something unheard of...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 5, by Muppets4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lazibayer wrote:
Muppets4 wrote:

That seems doable. Thanks. Do you have any idea if this will be the reason I can't get any further then post?

Usually it will only ask for you to press a key to continue booting.

it's only Press F1 to continue. And by pressing that, you will enter bios.