VOGONS

First post, by s3freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You will not have seen me much on this forum, as I not very confident about posting in public, but I was last active on this forum in 2013 when I personalised DOSBox and posted my patches - Now I have built real DOS boxes!

I have recently purchased this item from eBay, from a seller who sells test equipment, who apparently doesn't know anything about these interface cards, which I stumbled across by searching for A80486DX4100:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253413889265

As you can see, one of them is a Tseng VLB card, and I could only be certain that it is a Tseng ET4000 VLB, of at least W32 as it has two empty memory sockets. There is also a single board computer with the 486 processor that I was searching for, an Intel 486DX4 100MHz SK096 with write back cache, and finally another communication card containing a TI DSP chip. It appeared that the Intel CPU was soldered to the board.

Whilst the asking price was $134, I made an offer for $50 with the offer notes saying that I wanted only the Tseng card, which the seller had accepted. When I tracked the item being FedExed, the seller put INTERFACES (notice the plural) as the reference with the weight of 3lbs, which meant that I were getting all three cards for just $50!

Once received, I am a happy customer, with not only a Tseng ET4000/W32p VLB card, I also received a communications card with a TI DSP chip and a single board computer with an Intel 486DX4 100MHz SK096 processor with write back cache. However, the Intel CPU is soldered to the board, but I already have another SK096, which the seller managed to desolder as there were still solder on the pins!

All Cards.jpg
Filename
All Cards.jpg
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
TI DSP Front.jpg
Filename
TI DSP Front.jpg
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File license
TI DSP Back.jpg
Filename
TI DSP Back.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license
Intel SBC Front.jpg
Filename
Intel SBC Front.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license
Intel SBC Back.jpg
Filename
Intel SBC Back.jpg
File size
1.48 MiB
Views
File license

I put an extra 1MB RAM on the ET4000, using the RAM extracted from a faulty S3 Trio, to get 2MB, put it in my 486 and it works!

The main question here is that what the other two cards do? I have tried searching online about them and could find no information. If ever I needed the 486 CPU from the single board computer, it would take a tremendous amount of effort to desolder it, as I have seen elsewhere on this forum.

Last edited by s3freak on 2018-03-21, 20:31. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by s3freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tseng Front.jpg
Filename
Tseng Front.jpg
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File license
Tseng Back.jpg
Filename
Tseng Back.jpg
File size
1.21 MiB
Views
File license

My 486 is my real DOSBox, as well as my customised DOSBox!
I am not very active on VOGONS, please send a private message if you need a quicker response!

Reply 2 of 8, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nachi is famous for making robotic systems and the card looks like a controller that communicates with the robots. Not sure about the Ti card but I reckon it's used for interfacing with some industrial equipment.

Reply 4 of 8, by s3freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Predator99 wrote:

I would propose to read the content of the ROM Chip on the 486 card..maybe it tells you more.

Good idea! I don't yet have an EPROM programmer but I am thinking about getting one in the future.

I am not very active on VOGONS, please send a private message if you need a quicker response!

Reply 5 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am relatively confident that Tseng card was sold by JDR Computers at one point, as one of their house brand products, or perhaps as MCT (Modular Circuit Technology).

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 8, by s3freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having searched single board computers, I suppose I could get an ISA back plane, mount the main SBC, Trident video card, I/O card, sound card, etc., and see if I could get a complete 486 PC? Has anyone had any experience with SBCs?

Anonymous Coward wrote:

I am relatively confident that Tseng card was sold by JDR Computers at one point, as one of their house brand products, or perhaps as MCT (Modular Circuit Technology).

How would you know that as there is no FCC ID?

Reply 7 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm 99.999999999999999% sure that that board with the 486 chip on it is not a standard SBC. I'm guessing it is some sort of control module for some manufacturing equipment. Looks to me like it is for some robotics equipment as was mentioned above.

Do a search for what an actual 486 Single Board Computer looks like on eBay.

I do have a 386 ISA SBC, Socket 478 PCI/ISA, and a couple PICMG 1.3 SBCs.

Also have a PIAGP SBC on the way but still have to get a backplane for that as well as try to hunt down the ISA bridge module so I can use ISA cards with it.

The only one I have going is the Socket 478 one as I don't have a backplane for the PICMG 1.3 boards and I have yet to check if my ISA expansion chassis will work for the 386 SBC... no sure if it has a keyboard port on it or not. Just haven't taken the time to unbox it as I have other stuff going on.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 8, by s3freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
s3freak wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

I would propose to read the content of the ROM Chip on the 486 card..maybe it tells you more.

Good idea! I don't yet have an EPROM programmer but I am thinking about getting one in the future.

I have now acquired an EPROM programmer after many months and now dumped it's contents which I attach.

It is a 1Mbit (128Kbyte) ROM, the first 512Kbit (64Kbyte) is completely empty (0xFF) and the other half does not have much in it, with lots of 'blank' areas, and definitely looks nothing like an average PC BIOS. Look at the compression ratio of the zip file! Therefore, you are correct that it was some sort of manufacturing equipment.

cyclone3d wrote:

I'm 99.999999999999999% sure that that board with the 486 chip on it is not a standard SBC. I'm guessing it is some sort of control module for some manufacturing equipment. Looks to me like it is for some robotics equipment as was mentioned above.

If you're 99.999999999999999% sure, you should round it up to 100%!

Next, I will get a solder station and desolder the processor like Rescuing an Intel DX4 100MHz 16KB WB CPU from an unidentified ISA board did.

Attachments

• Filename
    nachi.zip
    File size
    2.16 KiB
    Downloads
    50 downloads
    File license