VOGONS

First post, by flexipop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I'm looking for HPROMINIT diksette for my Vectra N2 4/50i. At the moment it has german BIOS - I would prefer english 😉
Unfortunately can't find rom upgrade disk on the net, even on the vast hp museum website. Maybe someone here has disc image to share?

thnx

Reply 1 of 7, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have any disk image, but I made a copy of the bios from my HP vectra 486/33VL here http://www.win3x.org/win3board/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19456

I don't know if this'll work, keep in mind mine uses VLSI chipset. If yours does as well, there may be a chance this will work. This is a french computer, but the bios is in english

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 7, by jhaeseker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I realize this thread is a few years old, but I am also in need of a BIOS update for my HP Vectra N2 4/66.

It is currently running GF.04.03 (English) and is working fine, but there is a former colleague's name on the initial System Hardware Test screen (boot post) that I can't find any way to remove. I'm guessing that this name was entered when the PC was first set up (nearly 30 years ago) at an old employer of mine that no longer exists. I haven't found any way to remove/reset this name and, while it doesn't impact functionality, it is just an annoyance.

I've cleared the CMOS and removed the clock battery, but no luck. The jumper settings on the motherboard don't seem applicable either. My best guess is that flashing the BIOS might give me the opportunity to remove this name. In the grand scheme, I know this is a minor thing, but I'm cleaning up my basement and I intend to offer this system (and others) online to collectors, so I'd like to make it as "clean" as possible.

Aside from replacing the clock battery and upgrading the RAM, it is all original and works fine. It is running Windows for Workgroups 3.11 with 12MB RAM, a 340MB HD and has an HP27247B NIC. The add-on NIC's RJ45 port wasn't working, but I got it to function via the AUI port and an HP 28685B EtherTwist Transceiver. It is very cool to see this old hardware working and it brings back some memories. Even so, there is scant little out on the web related to this system - and HP no longer has any drivers this old on their website.

Let me know if anyone can point me in the direction of a BIOS disc image for this Vectra N2 4/66 (D3149A). Thanks in advance.

Reply 4 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jhaeseker wrote on 2021-07-01, 18:57:
I realize this thread is a few years old, but I am also in need of a BIOS update for my HP Vectra N2 4/66. […]
Show full quote

I realize this thread is a few years old, but I am also in need of a BIOS update for my HP Vectra N2 4/66.

It is currently running GF.04.03 (English) and is working fine, but there is a former colleague's name on the initial System Hardware Test screen (boot post) that I can't find any way to remove. I'm guessing that this name was entered when the PC was first set up (nearly 30 years ago) at an old employer of mine that no longer exists. I haven't found any way to remove/reset this name and, while it doesn't impact functionality, it is just an annoyance.

I've cleared the CMOS and removed the clock battery, but no luck. The jumper settings on the motherboard don't seem applicable either. My best guess is that flashing the BIOS might give me the opportunity to remove this name. In the grand scheme, I know this is a minor thing, but I'm cleaning up my basement and I intend to offer this system (and others) online to collectors, so I'd like to make it as "clean" as possible.

Aside from replacing the clock battery and upgrading the RAM, it is all original and works fine. It is running Windows for Workgroups 3.11 with 12MB RAM, a 340MB HD and has an HP27247B NIC. The add-on NIC's RJ45 port wasn't working, but I got it to function via the AUI port and an HP 28685B EtherTwist Transceiver. It is very cool to see this old hardware working and it brings back some memories. Even so, there is scant little out on the web related to this system - and HP no longer has any drivers this old on their website.

Let me know if anyone can point me in the direction of a BIOS disc image for this Vectra N2 4/66 (D3149A). Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Vogons 😀

This seems to be the latest BIOS listed for your model

https://web.archive.org/web/20001213203000/ht … 0409us.exe.html

BIOS REVISION INFO

Platform: M2 / N2
BIOS version: GB.04.09
Release date: June 95
Previous release: GB.04.06

This BIOS is available in 11 languages

Differences from the GB.04.06 version
=====================================

Bug fixes:
- Fixed ATI video bug
- Disable keyboard command blocking in chipset 483, register 24h

Enhancements:
- Added P24D processor detection,(= DX2)
- Removed obsoletes processors detection
- Added P24T frequencies (63-83Mhz)
- Added A20 gate fix (SCI modification)
- Added new serial binary: Version A.02.01

which is available to download from the HP ftp server here

ftp://ftp3.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/vc225 … en/gb0409us.exe

Reply 5 of 7, by jm764

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am also looking of this file as I just rescued a HP Vectra M2 4/50 desktop with an older bios revision that updates to this, but the old HP FTP server no longer exist and both the internet archive and the mirrored backup I found on zx.net don't have this bios exe saved sadly.

Reply 6 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jm764 wrote on 2024-02-21, 01:27:

I am also looking of this file as I just rescued a HP Vectra M2 4/50 desktop with an older bios revision that updates to this, but the old HP FTP server no longer exist and both the internet archive and the mirrored backup I found on zx.net don't have this bios exe saved sadly.

Here

Attachments

• Filename
    gb0409us.zip
    File size
    219.21 KiB
    Downloads
    4 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 7, by jm764

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2024-02-21, 03:03:
jm764 wrote on 2024-02-21, 01:27:

Here

Thanks, I'll try it in a bit. 😀

Also out of curiosity if you have or know of anywhere that has the os restore disk (or basic vga and network drivers) for these systems (and a Vectra XU 5/90 I also have) let me know as I'm attempting a full restore.

Edit:

Well turns out the bios on mine was already updated, but still good to have the files incase I run across another one, or the bios in this one fails. 👍

On a side note, if anyone knows if a "586" Cyrix/IBM 100mhz will work on this pc, let me know as I tried mine but it seems to throw cpu errors so either it doesn't like it, or my cpu is failing as this DX2 66mhz runs perfectly fine in it.

Attachments