VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I saw this case on an episode of The Computer Chronicles (1992) and I'm in love with it. Any idea how I might be able to narrow down my search and track one down?

https://youtu.be/Ooq18RGh16Y?t=623

Reply 1 of 9, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That case design luckily is quite common. I have a few pictures of mine in this album: https://imgur.com/a/M5YFx

I have not seen a mention of a specific manufacturer. There are a few variations. We talked about this case design series a while back in a thread. I will try and find that and add it to my post.

I also really like it! I also have this related one: https://i.imgur.com/EXYpO7S.jpg

EDIT: we talk about it a bit here: Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread. Not much info though...

1982 to 2001

Reply 2 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe half of the generic AT cases of the era are 90% similar to the one you posted it. In fact, half the cases I've come across in my region in the last year were very similar to this.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 9, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I see that particular case design appearing quite often on Vogons. Probably the only tower case that I really like.

I have one myself:

o9I14mWm.jpg

I'm slowly working on a multi-sound card build based on either 486/VLB or Pentium 60 (I need at least 4 ISA slots).

Don't think it's possible to identify it though. But it really is very popular. Just look for 386/486 era computers.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 4 of 9, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got one of these too. 😀

z3TWh95t.jpg

Whilst they do seem to have been quite a common case back then, I've noticed they seem sort of uncommon now, and more sought after then other designs. I might be wrong though. *shrug*

Dunno who made them, the only branding of any kind I've ever seen on them is some sticker with the name of the computer shop that likely did the original custom build for the customer who bought it originally.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 5 of 9, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the exact case that my first ever PC came in. An 386SX16, purchsed in 1992 from a chop-shop kind small computer store(?) that was building systems from cheapest components available. It was a rather popular case used for building cheap noname 386 class machines.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only clue I have is that I bought a new old stock AT case a few years back, and while it was not the same front cover, it had the exact same chassis inside.

That one was made by a Taiwanese (or Thai, I forgot which) company called ST Computer Systems.

Whether this will help you, I do not know.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 9, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Indeed, these cases were VERY common in the 90s...although they are getting a little more difficult to find now, as I learned from first-hand experience during my childhood 486 rebuild (I was ultimately able to find one though). Part of the trouble with finding one these days unfortunately is simply because they DON'T have a brand or model to them...or at the very least it's not stamped anywhere on the case itself, and I don't know of any instances yet of the original shipping/retail packaging for those cases being found to contain branding or model information either. Your best bet might be to simply keep an eye out for whole 386/486 systems that use that case, since during my 2-3 years of searching for one I never once saw a case by itself pop up on auction sites.

Reply 8 of 9, by ab0tj

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been searching for a while for a case that is almost exactly the same, but has square reset and turbo buttons, no LED display, and a keyboard connector on the front. The end goal is a rebuild of the 386 system my family had when I was young.

Reply 9 of 9, by timb.us

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ab0tj wrote:

I've been searching for a while for a case that is almost exactly the same, but has square reset and turbo buttons, no LED display, and a keyboard connector on the front. The end goal is a rebuild of the 386 system my family had when I was young.

Man, I accidentally sent the exact case you’re after to Goodwill in December. I was cleaning out 20 years worth of computer parts I had in storage in my parent’s garage, and a nice 486DX4-100 in the exact case you mentioned got placed in donate pile by mistake. 🙁

(Who knows, maybe it’ll turn up on eBay!)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. (E.g., Cheez Whiz, RF, Hot Dogs)