VOGONS

(Solved) Mounting an SCSI drive in DOS when a C:\ and D:\ drive are already present in BIOS

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all,

I've never had this situation before, but lately I've gotten my SSD IDE drive working with a slaved Compact Flash drive (both around 512Mb) on a 386 motherboard (no secondary IDE channels) using DOS 6.22 and now when the Adaptec BIOS goes through INIT it finds all my devices (an SCSI2SD, CDROM, Zip100, and a Syquest 88Mb drive) it will not mount the hard disk (BIOS not installed - no INT 13H devices found). When the computer boots, I can get the CDROM drivers loaded. Since my SCSI cable failed, I have a 3 device one now, but in the past I was able to mount the Syquest to a drive letter and read things from it.

How do I mount the SCSI2SD drive as, say, E:\ or something?

90% of the time, the computer will boot from the 512Mb SSD IDE drive, and the SCSI2SD will be initialized by the SCSI BIOS as D:\, but occasionally I want to have the CF drive in there to copy stuff over. I have devised a boot disk for this. Various SCSI utilities see the drive and partition information, but how to mount it? ASPI? I do have it in my CONFIG.SYS, it sees ID#0, but doesn't do anything about it. Later, ASPICD.SYS (in conjunction with an MSCDEX command) mounts the CDROM.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing a basic step.

Last edited by Jed118 on 2018-04-01, 04:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 1 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On most systems you can't boot a SCSI drive when IDE drives are also present, unless the motherboard BIOS has an option to specify the system should try booting from any SCSI adapters present before trying to boot from IDE (you need to change BIOS settings anytime you want to boot from another device).

Reply 2 of 7, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't want to boot from it though, I just want to access it. The fact that the Adaptec software can see the drive and tell me about the partition information leads me to believe that there is a way.

Reply 3 of 7, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ASPIDISK.SYS?

http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Adapt … ion%20Guide.pdf

ASPIDISK.SYS
ASPIDISK.SYS is used to install valid DOS partitions as logical drives
with SCSI disk drives that are not installed under the host adapter BIOS.
A drive will not be installed under the host adapter BIOS if
the host adapter BIOS is disabled
more than two hard disk drives are already installed
the SCSI ID is something other than 0 or 1 (except for the AHA1740/1744
in the enhanced mode).

Reply 4 of 7, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did mess around with that, and I'm getting it to mount as e:\ but the drive is unreadable and cannot be scanned or formatted (it indicates errors) I think the way the drive is mounted by BIOS differs from how ASPIDISK.sys handles it (this one sees my Syquest disk A-OK, it's only 88Mb though) but it doesn't seem to want to do anything about the 2Gb partition on the SCSI2SD drive.

*edit - After formatting it with SCSIFMT.exe under ASPIDISK.SYS conditions, I was able to see and transfer files to it. I then went into the computer's BIOS and disabled the secondary IDE drive (CF IDE card) and let the Adaptec BIOS mount the 13h drive as D:\ - I was then able to read/write to the drive as well as play games from it.

Thanks for the pointer! The manual was very useful for mounting my removable media.

Reply 5 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some bios are limited to two hard drives. I have a 286 that works like this. I'd try what predator99 linked. When I run scsi, I typically go all or nothing, so this issue hasn't come up for me personally.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 7, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The onboard computer BIOS can only handle a C: and a D: - When those are occupied, the Adaptec's BIOS doesn't load 13h even if it detects drives. The ASPIDISK will load it after it has been formatted by SCSIFMT.EXE (part of the Adaptec suite) once it asks if you want to turn on the Extended translation (>1 Gb).

I've got it (finally) configured to how I want it. Now I can finally prepare a youtube video about it! 😁

Thank you all for your input.

Reply 7 of 7, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot as well. I experience same issues and now run through the ll format process. Can only take days … 😀

1) VLSI SCAMP 311 | 386SX25@30 | 16MB | CL-GD5434 | CT2830| SCC-1 | MT32 | Fast-SCSI AHA 1542CF + BlueSCSI v2/15k U320
2) SIS486 | 486DX/2 66(@80) | 32MB | TGUI9440 | SG NX Pro 16 | LAPC-I