VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

I recently got a ZIDA 4DPS v2.11 mobo and started making a win3.11 system with it (5x86 cpu, 32MB ram, Vision868 PCI vga atm) but I noticed that even though the BIOS can recognize a 10GB HDD you can only use the 8GB - just like a system with the 8GB HDD size limit.
I tried the official 400A BIOS but quickly abandoned it since it killed the PS/2 mouse header.
Also gave 1.72f BIOS a change since I read it's the most stable one (maybe the comment was made for older mobo revisions though).
A 40GB HDD just hangs the BIOS or boot sequence.

I have settled with kanecvr's patched 500A BIOS for the moment - still no real support for more than 8GB disks but it works fine with the XTIDE BIOS on a NIC.

But I find it rather annoying to not be able to use the full 10GB capacity with such a late-era 486 mobo that also has a PnP BIOS - am I missing something here? Maybe there is a better bios out there that I did not find yet?

In an unrelated HDD note the turbo-button function doesn't really do anything with a 5x86 CPU , that's normal right?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The BIOS does offer LBA support and it does recognize the HDD as a 10GB one so something somewhere is either broken/buggy or the BIOS I have is not the best one.

CEb16dLl.jpg

LHbenGFl.jpg

needless to say that the HDD is partitioned/formatted correctly and that it works fine with either XTIDE BIOS or in another system that has no HDD-size issues...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Same for 1.72f , the BIOS patches have nothing to do with HDD functions (it's about revealing some hidden options and re-enable the PS/2 mouse support that got canned with the official 4.00A BIOS)

Reply 5 of 12, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

whats the best bios for this board? i read there was a bios lost on an olf ftp that had PNP fixed. maybe some pnp cards like gravis did not work?

either way im fine with the 8GB HDD, ther isnt much i want to add to it.

Reply 6 of 12, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

whats the best bios for this board? i read there was a bios lost on an olf ftp that had PNP fixed. maybe some pnp cards like gravis did not work?

either way im fine with the 8GB HDD, ther isnt much i want to add to it.

its a nice board. sadly it only boots with some of my FPM RAM. no EDO...and not all FPM

Reply 7 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No idea what's the best BIOS, I use 500A linked above and called it a day.
Indeed it's picky about RAM but it is indeed a nice board so it is forgiven 🤣

Reply 9 of 12, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-04-25, 15:12:

Let's necro this. I'd love to know if anyone ever found a solution for using big IDE drives on these boards

I just created a thread asking about how to even change the bios on the 4DPS, and after reading this thread, I would also like to see what is up with the HDD limit. I may look into drive overlay software. I have the one by rloew, though that is for terabyte drives and probably not for boards like this. I want to use 64-128gb CF cards with an IDE adapter.

Reply 10 of 12, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am re-necroing this. My previous 4DPS fried, and I acquired a replacement. The BIOS is 1.5 and is refusing to properly see 8gb SD-to-CF-to-IDE setups (it sees a 2gb SD card so it isn't the set up.) This board has that UV BIOS chip so I can't flash it and am seeking a solution (I have to find and re-read an old thread.) Is there information on the limits with the 1.5 BIOS? I ordered an 8GB CF card before discovering this issue. Also, can anyone recommend decent overlay software I could use with this board? I will be running MS-DOS and Win 3.11.

I hope to solve the BIOS issue so that I can use larger drives and store some ISOs.

Reply 11 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scythifuge wrote on 2022-10-05, 02:45:

Also, can anyone recommend decent overlay software I could use with this board? I will be running MS-DOS and Win 3.11.

WD/Micro House EZ-Drive?

The Micro House FastDisk replacement for Windows 3.1x worked well for me.
It can handle HDDs of up to 8 GB of total capacity.
That's same limit that MS-DOS 6.22 has, afaik.

It's available way down on this site: http://win31.de/edrivers.htm

Thatt being said, I didn't much use the EZ-Drive DDO itself, however.

(By total capacity I mean physical capacity, such as using an 8 GB CF card.

Since these programs, especially the DDO, interfere with the CF/HDD directly,
it might be possible that they cannot be fooled properly if needed.

Fooled, as using a 120GB HDD and then choosing a smaller drive geometry in BIOS.

For this to work, a drive cap must set, maybe.
HDDs from Seagate have a capacity limiting feature
in their optional available service software.
Phil from Phil's Computerlab covered this in a video, I vaguely remember.)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 12, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2022-10-05, 04:36:
WD/Micro House EZ-Drive? […]
Show full quote
Scythifuge wrote on 2022-10-05, 02:45:

Also, can anyone recommend decent overlay software I could use with this board? I will be running MS-DOS and Win 3.11.

WD/Micro House EZ-Drive?

The Micro House FastDisk replacement for Windows 3.1x worked well for me.
It can handle HDDs of up to 8 GB of total capacity.
That's same limit that MS-DOS 6.22 has, afaik.

It's available way down on this site: http://win31.de/edrivers.htm

Thatt being said, I didn't much use the EZ-Drive DDO itself, however.

(By total capacity I mean physical capacity, such as using an 8 GB CF card.

Since these programs, especially the DDO, interfere with the CF/HDD directly,
it might be possible that they cannot be fooled properly if needed.

Fooled, as using a 120GB HDD and then choosing a smaller drive geometry in BIOS.

For this to work, a drive cap must set, maybe.
HDDs from Seagate have a capacity limiting feature
in their optional available service software.
Phil from Phil's Computerlab covered this in a video, I vaguely remember.)

Thank you for the tips! After I made the post, I went back to tinkering with the board and my collection of cards and adapters. It turns out that even with BIOS 1.5, all I need to do is set the hard drives to AUTO in the BIOS. The problem was that despite having two of the "same" CF/SD adapter cards, they each must have different chips inside, because one would work with only a 2gb SD card, while the other card displays 8GB but the system sees the total 32GB of that particular card. It seems that whatever chip which inside that adapter doesn't talk to the 4DPS properly. Thus, I am hoping that the 8GB CF card I ordered works, or that perhaps I can put a 32GB in each slot (my CF drive for my 486 is a dual slot.) It looks like as long as I have certain CF cards and/or certain CF/SD adapters, they will be seen by the system. It seems that I will be able to achieve my MS-DOS game library and early 90's Win/DOS app storage goals.

I am still hoping to upgrade the BIOS, so I have been watching videos of people using a UV device to wipe the chip and then putting it in a cheap little BIOS programmer and updating the chips via USB on a main PC. I have never had this problem outside of my two 4DPS boards, but perhaps buying the two devices is a good idea, since I imagine that I will waste money on yet another 4DPS if and when this one dies. However, an electronics repair shop opened up near me so perhaps they can recap these things.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am using MS-DOS 7 in order to be able to cheat and use FAT32 and thus bigger drives.