VOGONS

First post, by TimWinGame

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’ve got a 386dx 25 MHz machine with 4 megs of RAM. After adding a SoundBlaster 16 and enabling sound in some games, it is dragging a bit. In Epic Pinball for instance, it runs smooth and slick with just the PC speaker but it gets sluggish with SB sound enabled. My motherboard (BT-3mm 5.5) won’t support a faster 386, but I could add more RAM. Is that likely to help the situation, or is the CPU the bottleneck?

Reply 1 of 8, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is the minimum required CPU for that game, while you have several times the required ram.. In general, adding a sound blaster does require more cpu work to process the sound data for output.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 2 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CPU bottleneck, but 8mb ram won't hurt or CPU cache.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 8, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Adding more RAM won't help unless the game(s) are slower because of swapping or extra loading because of the lack of memory. DOS games like Epic Pinball usually either fit in the memory or won't run at all, the operating system itself doesn't do any virtual memory handling. Newer games (like first person shooters) that dynamically load and unload a lot of (mostly graphical) data can benefit from more RAM. Doom, for example, runs with 4MB but for more complex levels more memory can mostly avoid "swapping" after initially loading a level. You can also use the extra RAM for disk caching that speeds up loading and especially copying small files - but CPU limited games or demos won't run faster at all.
Adding some cache can help a bit too though I have no idea if the mentioned board has cache and how much.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 4 of 8, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More RAM does not in fact speed a system up by itself. More RAM is only useful if either the software you want to run actually NEEDS more RAM, or if the operating system you use use virtual memory as in, swapping memory to disk. DOS does not use virtual memory and the only DOS game I can recall that actually can do so is Jagged Alliance if run with 4MB instead of 8MB ram.

so, more ram will not help in this case.

Reply 6 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since that game uses mod music, if you get a compatible sound card that provides hardware mixing (like the gravis ultrasound), you may be able to get smooth gameplay with music. But getting a faster machine is probably the cheapest alternative 🤣

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 8, by TimWinGame

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote:

Since that game uses mod music, if you get a compatible sound card that provides hardware mixing (like the gravis ultrasound), you may be able to get smooth gameplay with music. But getting a faster machine is probably the cheapest alternative 🤣

Haha, true! I’ve got a 486 as well that has no problem with it - just trying to figure out how far I can go with the 386.

Reply 8 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There might be some value to have 8MB in your 386. Anything beyond that is not really useful unless you are trying to run something like Windows NT. A lot of older 386s can't really handle more than 8-12MB reliably anyway.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium