VOGONS

First post, by stry8993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey folks,

So I've sort of been struggling through getting this thing to do.... anything. I won't drag on about what I've done because it'd make this a super long post, but in order to get DOS on the PC I had to plug the hard drive into another PC to be able to use it to install DOS 6.2. That did work, but I fear it may not have been configured properly for the Laptop's hardware.

When trying to install something from a floppy emulator, or even moving files from the floppy emulator to the drive, it'll get to a part where it has to decompress a file, and it'll just fail.

On top of that, with my Floppy Emulator, I can't seem to get the Laptop to a point where it can boot from the floppy image. It'll read it, once DOS has loaded, but it just won't seem to boot from it. When I select Floppy as Boot Device, it just has a flash _ cursor.

I don't know if this is due to drivers, or what, but, I can't find a manual to see... what it is I can do to get around any of this, and I"m essentially fiddling in the dark trying to get this to work.

AST Ascentia 800/N 50
Intel 486 DX2 50Mhz
3mb extended memory
510mb HDD
GoTek Slimline Floppy (Brauderbun style, but it'll work with 1.4, 720, etc) (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/image … ReL._SX355_.jpg)

I thought maybe its the firmware of the GoTek, but, that is... not something I'm able to work with, as I believe I have to solder things, which I don't have the means to do. I'd love to get this project working, and I've gone through and searched through everything I could figure, so I'm here, asking the Grand Masters of Retro and Vintage hardware for their help, thoughts, and opinions. I'd appreciate any consideration.